Engine, Drivetrain & Forced-Induction
Have Technical Questions or Done Modifications to the G37? Find out the answer in here!

Transmission go BOOM! Infiniti says becoming common

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-2014, 03:08 AM
SPDCRZ

Received 29 Likes on 27 Posts
Originally Posted by KEG97
Interesting that many of us have the 1K RPM jump from 3rd to 4th and lugging upon throttle at low speeds. Is that a tranny issue or a tranny programming issue?

SPDCRZ- wow...glad the dealer is taking care of you.
I had the reprogramming done on the old tranny. Did help a little, but that same 3/4 gears were doing the same thing afterwards too

The fact that they had to come out with a reprogram for the tranny right away shows that there may be some issues....
Old 04-04-2014, 07:18 AM
KEG97
Registered Member

Received 56 Likes on 55 Posts
Originally Posted by SPDCRZ
I had the reprogramming done on the old tranny. Did help a little, but that same 3/4 gears were doing the same thing afterwards too

The fact that they had to come out with a reprogram for the tranny right away shows that there may be some issues....
Good point on the reprogramming. I'm taking mine in in 2 weeks.
Old 04-04-2014, 10:28 PM
AZNnite

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
SPDCRZ,

Even after the Valvebody Upgrade from GTM, you still went boom?! Shoot glad I pulled out!
Old 04-04-2014, 11:51 PM
markg37xs

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
mark,

I actually had the service manager tell me its becoming quite common. Soo... lets hope its not tooo common. lol
well, hopefully I don't have any issues. I'm still waiting on a stage 4 trans and twin supercharger from GTM. supposed to be done by next week. i'll keep you posted on how things turn out.
Old 04-04-2014, 11:53 PM
AZNnite

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by markg37xs
well. , hopefully I don't have any issues. I'm still waiting on a stage 4 trans and twin supercharger from GTM. supposed to be done by next week. i'll keep you posted on how things turn out.
Next week huh? Dont bet on it :-P
The following users liked this post:
warpeacelove (04-07-2014)
Old 04-05-2014, 09:09 AM
IPL 370GT

Received 110 Likes on 81 Posts
A coworkers 7at G37s just failed too. The local dealer told him the same thing... He has kept it stock and well maintained "supposedly". Was just out of warranty and is trying the good will process with infiniti USA. Good luck OP!

Had my IPL trans software updated 3 times in one year. Twice was dealer recommend during service and once due to lag and hard downshifts at 2nd. They performed a reset/refresh, according to the dealer.
Old 04-07-2014, 05:55 PM
warpeacelove

Received 38 Likes on 33 Posts
Originally Posted by AZNnite
Next week huh? Dont bet on it :-P

And the TRUTH was said. "Don't bet on it."
Old 04-07-2014, 07:17 PM
Tazicon

Received 24 Likes on 23 Posts
Originally Posted by IPL 370GT
Had my IPL trans software updated 3 times in one year. Twice was dealer recommend during service and once due to lag and hard downshifts at 2nd. They performed a reset/refresh, according to the dealer.

Never had an issue with my IPL but I did let it go with ~ 15k miles on it. Never flashed, reprogramed nothing, the tranny worked fine for me.
Old 04-08-2014, 02:37 AM
SPDCRZ

Received 29 Likes on 27 Posts
Originally Posted by Tazicon
Never had an issue with my IPL but I did let it go with ~ 15k miles on it. Never flashed, reprogramed nothing, the tranny worked fine for me.
Apparently its a luck of the draw kind of thing. Some transmissions are fine and others have problems. Its like a 1 in 10 chance or something like that.
Old 04-08-2014, 08:57 AM
Chris11LE
Registered Member

Received 23 Likes on 20 Posts
Originally Posted by IPL 370GT
A coworkers 7at G37s just failed too. The local dealer told him the same thing... He has kept it stock and well maintained "supposedly". Was just out of warranty and is trying the good will process with infiniti USA. Good luck OP!

How many miles on your co-workers before it went kaput?
Old 04-08-2014, 09:05 AM
IPL 370GT

Received 110 Likes on 81 Posts
Originally Posted by Chris11LE
How many miles on your co-workers before it went kaput?
68k according to him. My IPL was very low mileage when I traded it. I think the problem for me was coming from a 6MT and getting into the 7AT. I always felt a lag and this was my first auto. I had the notorious acceleration cut, lag and some hard down shifting. Seems the Infiniti software updates helped but never fixed the issue
Old 04-08-2014, 09:24 AM
Chris11LE
Registered Member

Received 23 Likes on 20 Posts
I had a very occasional hard downshift, but the update fixed that. It also fixed the "coasting then get back on the throttle and the car just sits there doing nothing" issue.

Transmission not as responsive as it first was right after the re-flash, but its not doing anything out of the ordinary for an AT (doesnt always seem to be in the right gear, but with 7 to choose from and the EPA on the loose, its expected)

Granted, I only have 10K miles on my car....I need to drive it a lot more, warranty ends in a year. Thats why I asked how many miles before it went kaput
Old 04-08-2014, 02:28 PM
Choman
Registered Member

Received 25 Likes on 22 Posts
Apparently its a luck of the draw kind of thing. Some transmissions are fine and others have problems. Its like a 1 in 10 chance or something like that.
Those odds aren't comforting IMO. lol
Old 04-08-2014, 03:39 PM
MikeKiloDelta

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
Originally Posted by Byrdman
I had issues with my 6 speed manual tranny...couldn't engage 5th gear w/o massive grinding so I took it to the dealership, mind u I have tons of mods, and they still replaced it under warranty. Fast forward 6 months and now I'm having issues with my 2nd gear...not sure what the deal is with Infiniti transmissions.
Same thing here except they didn't replace my tranny. It was a little hard getting into 5th and R and they kinda fixed that but the grinding is still there. Taking it back in next week to ask them to replace the entire transmission.
Old 04-08-2014, 05:26 PM
TVPostSound
Registered Member

Received 115 Likes on 88 Posts
Wait??

It's SC'd, and had the VB update from GTM??
Im not worried about mine then!!

Quick Reply: Transmission go BOOM! Infiniti says becoming common