Engine, Drivetrain & Forced-Induction
Have Technical Questions or Done Modifications to the G37? Find out the answer in here!

slight popping sound after hard acceleration

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-2014, 10:13 AM
dessidee90

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
slight popping sound after hard acceleration

Last night after I accelerated hard my car made a popping sound, (similar to the CATS make when the vehicle is OFF) while I was still driving.. is this normal??
Old 03-05-2014, 10:51 AM
squarehead

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
Subscribed for answers. I hear the same sound after spirited driving.
Old 03-07-2014, 08:34 PM
Staples

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
It's hard to say since I don't know what your mods are and if you're tuned, but it could the car pinging at wide open throttle along with the exhaust being hot. The ECU will pull timing, add fuel and in turn this makes your "popping" noises. Not all gas is created equal, especially in the winter months.

Did you notice any hesitation?
Old 03-08-2014, 06:48 PM
JSolo
Just say no!!!!!

Received 590 Likes on 494 Posts
Usually popping on decel is a result of a mixture going lean suddenly but the oxygen igniting in the exhaust. This is done for emission purposes. We get this on the bikes all the time with aftermarket exhausts. On the bikes the fix is to get rid of the fresh air injection system. No more popping
Old 03-10-2014, 06:22 AM
dessidee90

Well first off, I appreciate u taking the time out to give a thoughtful response. With That being said. Car is completely stock, at THE TIME I had premium fuel in from Sam's so ig that's a no go.. I found my car not to be as responsive IMO, I was running with a crystler 300 and honestly that car was fast as hell, idk if it was stock or not but it really was too close with me than I wouldve liked. My sunroof was flipped up too tho. Nevertheless, I ended up taking my car to the dealership, got a fresh oil change, and filled up with some Chevron and TO ME my car felt a lot more responsive, AND no more popping after hard acceleration..

Originally Posted by Staples
It's hard to say since I don't know what your mods are and if you're tuned, but it could the car pinging at wide open throttle along with the exhaust being hot. The ECU will pull timing, add fuel and in turn this makes your "popping" noises. Not all gas is created equal, especially in the winter months.

Did you notice any hesitation?
Old 03-10-2014, 06:23 AM
dessidee90

Idk man *shrugs* after an oil change and new gas, hasnt made the noise again

Originally Posted by Jsolo
Usually popping on decel is a result of a mixture going lean suddenly but the oxygen igniting in the exhaust. This is done for emission purposes. We get this on the bikes all the time with aftermarket exhausts. On the bikes the fix is to get rid of the fresh air injection system. No more popping
Old 03-10-2014, 04:18 PM
Staples

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by dessidee90
Idk man *shrugs* after an oil change and new gas, hasnt made the noise again
That was your issue, bad gas.

Even on a stock car you can still ping/detonate and cause all the issues you're describing. There's a safety feature built into the ECU and a knock sensor that will pull out as much power (pull timing and add fuel) as it needs in order to save your engine. This will cause: popping, bogging, hesitation, everything you described. I've seen a lot of N/A cars get tuned with just minor stuff like intake and exhaust losing 30whp+ all because of gas.

Stay away from Sam's Club, BJ's, Costco gas, as it's not all created equal.

Chevron, Texaco, and Exxon seems to work the best for me, especially being forced induction.

Hope this helps!
Old 03-10-2014, 04:54 PM
dessidee90

Thanks a lot