Engine, Drivetrain & Forced-Induction
Have Technical Questions or Done Modifications to the G37? Find out the answer in here!

Q50 vs G37

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-2014, 02:27 PM
kcg37

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ive driven a q50x vs my previous g37 s 6 mt. Felt slower than my stock G , and felt the same as previous g37x loaners, except steering was numb. Felt like my G on winter tires , even though the Q was on all seasons.
Old 02-16-2014, 09:36 PM
warpeacelove

Received 38 Likes on 33 Posts
Q50 is just tid bit more responsive on acceleration and it definitely has a better suspension/handling than a G37 and your feel less feedback from the steering wheel. Drove it for a few days, it's ok. Nothing special about the car after testing it out.
Old 02-16-2014, 11:21 PM
Ryne
The Steering Wheel Guy

Received 560 Likes on 390 Posts
Originally Posted by kcg37
Ive driven a q50x vs my previous g37 s 6 mt. Felt slower than my stock G , and felt the same as previous g37x loaners, except steering was numb. Felt like my G on winter tires , even though the Q was on all seasons.
The Q50 comes with all season RUN FLAT tires. I think that may have played a factor in your experience.
Old 02-17-2014, 10:11 AM
warpeacelove

Originally Posted by Ryne
The Q50 comes with all season RUN FLAT tires. I think that may have played a factor in your experience.
Don't provide me with your opinion as I am basing it on facts = Driver experience behind the wheel of a Q50 for a few days.

Reasons being why my observation/feedback was provided. #facts.

Standard Steering - G35/G37
While driving on uneven roads, drivers typically make constant, subtle adjustments to maintain control.

A World's First Steering Technology

Direct Adaptive Steering - Q50
- A World's First Steering Technology

Direct Adaptive Steering™ helps shield the driver from excessive road vibrations, giving you a stronger feeling of control.

Control. Precision. Adaptability. Handling’s triple-crown. Over uneven roads, Direct Adaptive Steering moderates the need for constant, subtle adjustment, imparting a commanding feeling while helping shield the driver from excessive road vibrations

The system allows control of the tire angle as well steering inputs, transmitting driver inputs faster than a traditional mechanical steering rack. The system comes with four different modes that change not only steering effort, but the steering ratio as well.

Also the Bose Audio in the Q50 is much more clearer and louder than the the previous G37 models.

Lastly The Infiniti Q50's four-wheel independent multilink suspension is made from lightweight aluminum components, with the front utilizing a single pivot double wishbone design and the rear using a multi-link design with coil springs and Dual Flow Path shock absorbers for increased camber stiffness and improved ride comfort.
Old 02-17-2014, 01:10 PM
Ryne
The Steering Wheel Guy

Originally Posted by warpeacelove
Don't provide me with your opinion as I am basing it on facts = Driver experience behind the wheel of a Q50 for a few days. Driver experience behind the wheel is called forming opinions, not facts.

Reasons being why my observation/feedback was provided. #facts.

Standard Steering - G35/G37
While driving on uneven roads, drivers typically make constant, subtle adjustments to maintain control.

A World's First Steering Technology

Direct Adaptive Steering - Q50
- A World's First Steering Technology

Direct Adaptive Steering™ helps shield the driver from excessive road vibrations, giving you a stronger feeling of control.

Control. Precision. Adaptability. Handling’s triple-crown. Over uneven roads, Direct Adaptive Steering moderates the need for constant, subtle adjustment, imparting a commanding feeling while helping shield the driver from excessive road vibrations

The system allows control of the tire angle as well steering inputs, transmitting driver inputs faster than a traditional mechanical steering rack. The system comes with four different modes that change not only steering effort, but the steering ratio as well.

Also the Bose Audio in the Q50 is much more clearer and louder than the the previous G37 models.OPINION

Lastly The Infiniti Q50's four-wheel independent multilink suspension is made from lightweight aluminum components, with the front utilizing a single pivot double wishbone design and the rear using a multi-link design with coil springs and Dual Flow Path shock absorbers for increased camber stiffness and improved ride comfort.OPINION
As does G37.

Refer to the comments above in red.

Hmmm... the Q50 comes from the factory with run flat tires... on what planet is that not a fact? I was stating that this FACT may have affected YOUR OPINION.

Also, how is YOUR driving experience, i.e. what YOU think of the steering FEEL a fact? That my friend, is called an OPINION.

Yes, the steering setup is different from Q50 and G37, but only on cars that have the Deluxe Touring package.
  • FACT: The Q50 equipped with the Deluxe Touring package has Direct Adaptive Steering, opposed to the G37's rack and pinion system.
  • OPINION: After driving the Q50 for a few days I've noticed the Q50 steering is (fill in the blank) compared to the G37 steering which is (fill in the blank). Also, the Q50 feels (fill in the blank) compared to the G37.
Old 02-17-2014, 01:48 PM
warpeacelove

Originally Posted by Ryne
Refer to the comments above in red.

Hmmm... the Q50 comes from the factory with run flat tires... on what planet is that not a fact? I was stating that this FACT may have affected YOUR OPINION.

Also, how is YOUR driving experience, i.e. what YOU think of the steering FEEL a fact? That my friend, is called an OPINION.

Yes, the steering setup is different from Q50 and G37, but only on cars that have the Deluxe Touring package.
  • FACT: The Q50 equipped with the Deluxe Touring package has Direct Adaptive Steering, opposed to the G37's rack and pinion system.
  • OPINION: After driving the Q50 for a few days I've noticed the Q50 steering is (fill in the blank) compared to the G37 steering which is (fill in the blank). Also, the Q50 feels (fill in the blank) compared to the G37.
Dude keep your commentary to yourself I'm not into the back n forth thing. When you don't even know what model car I've driven or which one in particular I'm discussing about out of the Q50 platform. Run Flat tires doesn't mitigate the road feedback to such degree that it feels like your always on a smooth road (That is not their strong point). Instead that is more likely due to the NEW steering wheel Technology. Let us restore the driver's impressions about the Q50. After all this is what this thread is about Q50 vs G37. That means people who have driven and will like to contribute to this thread can comment by way of letting the community know about their Driving experience and impression behind the Steering Wheel of the Q50. > OPINION.

Last edited by warpeacelove; 02-17-2014 at 02:02 PM.
Old 02-17-2014, 02:03 PM
Ryne
The Steering Wheel Guy

Originally Posted by warpeacelove
Dude keep your commentary to yourself I'm not into the back n forth thing. When you don't even know what model car I've driven or which one in particular I'm discussing about out of the Q50 platform. Run Flat tires does impact the road feedback to such degree that it feels like your always on a smooth road. That is not their strong point. Most Importantly this thread is about Q50 vs G37. That means people who have driven and will like to contribute to this thread can comment about their OPINION.

Run flat tires are notorious for providing a harsh ride. It is extremely common for people to take off new run flat tires and mount traditional tires. I have driven the Q50. I have driven the G37. If you are talking about steering wheel feedback, the tires are going to be a component of what you are feeling. Run flat tires have a much more stiff sidewall which will be noticed in the steering wheel through a traditional rack and pinion setup, it is likely the adaptive system can eliminate some of this. Manufacturers such as BMW even modify their suspensions on cars that come from the factory with run flat tires to account for run flat tires, that's how much it affects the cars feel.

Quote from an article sourced below:

"Monty Roberts from BMW Product and Technology communications tells us that run flat tires are standard on most BMW models with the exception of some BMW M Models. He said specifically that run flat tires have several advantages and that they “Support BMW’s EfficientDynamics Strategy by eliminating the extra weight of the spare tire, jack and tools in the vehicle for better balance, dynamic handling and fuel efficiency.”
When asked about the criticism of run flat tires Roberts said “run flat tires by their design do have stiffer sidewalls than conventional tires, however, all current BMW models that use run flat tires have suspensions that were significantly developed for use with this technology.” He added “These suspensions have been developed and tuned for the best possible ride comfort. The safety benefits of run flat tires are so significant as to outweigh any possible trade-offs.”"

Run Flat Tires: Why You Should, or Shouldn?t, Buy Them » AutoGuide.com News
Old 02-24-2014, 08:50 AM
Jack10525
Banned

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
My wifes 2011 Gen Coupe Turbo feels faster than my 2010 G37S Coupe. Both are stock.
Old 02-24-2014, 10:45 AM
Chris11LE
Registered Member

Received 23 Likes on 20 Posts
I drove a base Q50 Premium AWD for a day last week.

While I did think it felt faster than my G, I have a feeling the bulk of the difference comes from the fact that the transmission responds like we would expect it SHOULD.

It always felt like it was in the correct gear on the highway. City driving it fell into the same trap the G does: too high a gear for whatever mph you are driving, BUT the Q50 would downshift without very much lag and with minimal (or no) torque converter "confusion" (watch the tach jump up some RPM like the TC unlocked, then go back down like it re-locked, then back up again like it unlocked a second time and THEN downshift....thats what my G does but the Q didnt).

Now, I dont know if thats just because I had a loaner car that people beat on (since its been shown that a G with the 7AT responds better when its driven aggressively for long periods), if the car was too new to "learn" bad habits (had 3K miles on it when I got it), or if in fact Nissan/Infiniti fixed the issues.

If they really did fix the issues, Im curious if it was software change(s), hardware change(s), or both. And further, if those could be applied to the 7AT in the G.
Old 04-07-2020, 01:57 PM
BULL
Moderador

Received 736 Likes on 573 Posts
Well it's been 6 years since the last comment on this and I would like to revive this. We now know that the Q 3.7 shares the same engine, trans and diff, similar weight also.

I notice the airbox design for the Q appears to be a better design and wouldnt surprise if the add in power contribute to this + a software revision.

Anyone raced an auto G vs auto Q?
Old 04-10-2020, 06:36 PM
Conboss
Registered Member

Received 32 Likes on 31 Posts
I’d like to get behind the wheel of one and let my brother take my car and see how they perform. I’d want to see the 3.7 and the 3.0T tho, I’d like to see how that feels compared to the motor I love so much
Old 07-12-2020, 07:47 PM
Conboss
Registered Member

Received 32 Likes on 31 Posts
So I drove a brand new Q50S the other day. Gotta say I liked the interior and stuff, but the motor was laggy and the throttle response was not great. Had power, but I didn’t have road to really do what I wanted. Steering was light, too light imo. Brakes were way more touchy. It’s a nice car, but I’d rather my G
The following users liked this post:
1G13x_2020 (09-26-2020)
Old 08-28-2020, 05:28 AM
kickin_it
Registered Member

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
Can a 2015 Q50 engine be swapped into a 2009 G37?
Old 08-28-2020, 08:18 AM
projectpanda13
Registered Member

Received 283 Likes on 233 Posts
Originally Posted by kickin_it
Can a 2015 Q50 engine be swapped into a 2009 G37?
it can. its starting to be pretty common since its actually the more cost effective way to deal with the gallery gasket. The gasket material was updated in the 2014+ VHR. 2014-2015 Q50 motors can behad for as low as $1500 i have seen. not to meantion, the 2015+ vhr are rumored to have better head design (I haven't found hard proof, but most 2015+ dyno close to if not right at 300whp stock or with just intake and exhaust.) Its for sure been confirmed that they have a different header design.
The following users liked this post:
kickin_it (08-28-2020)
Old 08-28-2020, 02:26 PM
kickin_it
Registered Member

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
I have a 2009 G37 Sedan Journey RWD that made it to about 220k then the motor locked up. I think I'll dig into it at some point just to see if I can find point of failure. I found a 2015 Q50 VQ37 with 72k for $700. If it fits, I am jumping on it. I was going to get a low mileage 09-13 VQ37 and update the oil gaskets as well as a timing kit while I was in there. BUT, if the 2015 is updated oil gasket, I won't be updating timing saving hundreds.

Last edited by kickin_it; 08-28-2020 at 02:27 PM. Reason: Clarity

Quick Reply: Q50 vs G37