Engine, Drivetrain & Forced-Induction
Have Technical Questions or Done Modifications to the G37? Find out the answer in here!

Acceleration lag???

Search this Thread

Old 12-13-2013, 01:06 PM
P128sniper

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Acceleration lag???

Hey guys so I'm planning to get a 2010 Infiniti g37x, possibly the xs this coming spring but I have been reading a lot of posts about the acceleration lag. For example, people are saying they would drive around 40mph and suddenly brake, then if they want to hit the gas again there would be a noticeable lag before it actually moves. Also lag from hitting the gas from a stop. I just want to know if this is normal on these cars. Btw I'm specifically referring to the 7 auto tranny, because this is the one I'd be getting. So is it normal or only happens sometimes. Because if it's normal this is a Huge problem for me. I sometimes drive my sisters 2013 Nissan juke and notice that it does have some lag when hitting the throttle. So I'm not sure if this is a Nissan thing but it is really really really annoying. I mean what's the point of having 330 horses if I'm suddenly want to accelerate and there is lag! I know it might not be a big deal to some but it would be huge for me. I didn't get a chance to test drive one yet so I'm not sure. My previous choice was a lexus is250, but just hate how small it looks. Anyways thanks for reading and please reply if you have any opinions on this. Also I know some people ssid driving in DS helps but I'm sure it wastes more gas that way, I live in Chicago and drive city 99 percent of the time in and the g37 is already bad on gas I don't want to make it worse.

Last edited by P128sniper; 12-13-2013 at 01:27 PM.
Old 12-13-2013, 01:43 PM
ciscoizi

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
There is definitely an acceleration lag with my 2011 g37x. It usually happens to me when I hit the gas hard to quickly pass on the highway. The RPMs shoot up but no accelleration for I dunno, maybe like 4 seconds, then it catches and goes. I've done alot of research on it myself and some people say when it's in "D" mode, you have to use the gas like a button and press it then quickly let go and press again for it to catch and accellerate.. they say it says that in the manual too. Others say installing a grounding wire kit has helped them with the lag. Driving in "DS" mode makes the car shift quicker for me but I still get the lag if I floor it too quickly. This lag issue is the biggest dissapointment for me when it comes to this car.. I never had this issue, even with my accord or civic. Anyway, I'm still trying to get used to the car and learn it's quirks and still love it even with it's weird *** transmission lol
Old 12-13-2013, 01:46 PM
BLamb
Registered Member

Received 25 Likes on 25 Posts
I haven't had any issues with the acceleration lag after I got the ECU update (different than the transmission update). Before the update, yes I experienced the issue frequently.
Old 12-13-2013, 01:48 PM
P128sniper

Hmmm Yea im def leaning back towards the Lexus is250, yea its a lot weaker, i would get the is350 but AWD is important to me and is350 doesn't have AWD in 2010 model. Like I said, the lag might not be a big deal to some but I am not spending 20+k on a laggy *** car sorry but it's just a huge deal for me.
Old 12-13-2013, 01:50 PM
randyg37s

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by ciscoizi
There is definitely an acceleration lag with my 2011 g37x. It usually happens to me when I hit the gas hard to quickly pass on the highway. The RPMs shoot up but no accelleration for I dunno, maybe like 4 seconds, then it catches and goes. I've done alot of research on it myself and some people say when it's in "D" mode, you have to use the gas like a button and press it then quickly let go and press again for it to catch and accellerate.. they say it says that in the manual too. Others say installing a grounding wire kit has helped them with the lag. Driving in "DS" mode makes the car shift quicker for me but I still get the lag if I floor it too quickly. This lag issue is the biggest dissapointment for me when it comes to this car.. I never had this issue, even with my accord or civic. Anyway, I'm still trying to get used to the car and learn it's quirks and still love it even with it's weird *** transmission lol
I agree and feel the same way ^ but still love the car only had it for 4 months so im getting used to it. test drive one and be the judge. good luck
Old 12-13-2013, 01:56 PM
ciscoizi

Same here, I've had the car since September. Heh. Sniper, definitely test drive both cars though. AWD was important in my decision too and it came down to IS250 and g37x for me. I test drove the IS250 and I'm sorry, it felt like my civic had more power. Also the cabin felt way smaller then the G37x. It's a nice cruiser I guess but I need power. I'll still take my G37x with it's funny transmission over the IS250.
Old 12-13-2013, 02:12 PM
P128sniper

Originally Posted by ciscoizi
Same here, I've had the car since September. Heh. Sniper, definitely test drive both cars though. AWD was important in my decision too and it came down to IS250 and g37x for me. I test drove the IS250 and I'm sorry, it felt like my civic had more power. Also the cabin felt way smaller then the G37x. It's a nice cruiser I guess but I need power. I'll still take my G37x with it's funny transmission over the IS250.
Yea i def gotta test drive both, power is not that important to me, I just don't like how small the back of the is250 is, I'm coming from a 95 civic so anything will be an upgrade at this point lol. I've also heard that a grounding kit might help and what's called a sprint booster that you attach to the gas pedal might help the lag issues. Not sure yet what to do. I mean mpg is also kind of important but considering the is250 gets 20mpg and the g37 gets 18 is not much of a difference especially considering how much more power the g has.... Decisions decisions... At least I got some time to think about it. Thanks guys, appreciate it.
Old 12-13-2013, 02:48 PM
sniper27

Received 79 Likes on 72 Posts
The lag is worse when you drive in traffic a lot. If you live in the country or suburb with little traffic, then it isn't too bad. But for me, being in Los Angeles, the lag is horrible in traffic.
Old 12-13-2013, 02:50 PM
BLamb
Registered Member

I have no experience with it but I've seen reports that the hypertech programmer offers a 0-60 restriction removal option that should help with acceleration lag as well.

I've got a grounding kit, I honestly can't say if it made any difference or not, nothing noticeable to me to be honest. The ECU update was drastic though, was very happy with it.
Old 12-13-2013, 04:02 PM
P128sniper

Originally Posted by sniper27
The lag is worse when you drive in traffic a lot. If you live in the country or suburb with little traffic, then it isn't too bad. But for me, being in Los Angeles, the lag is horrible in traffic.
Considering i live in Chicago and will be driving 99 percent of the time in city stop and go in traffic conditions, i think i might want to consider a different car. i gotta tell ya, I started off wanting the lexus is250 but i keep looking around for different options but always find a flaw thats too major of a problem. I guess ill have to stick with the 250. if only they extended the rear of the car by at least 1 foot lol , from the end of the back tire to the end of the trunk. I love the front on it though. Speed is important but i defenetly rather have less power then be annoyed every second with this stupid lag.
Old 12-13-2013, 04:45 PM
ciscoizi

The lag can be annoying at times but I wouldn't let it keep me from getting the car.. is250 feels like it has the lag permanently lol
Old 12-13-2013, 05:02 PM
P128sniper

lol i know but like i said for some reason it annoys the crap outta me. when i drive my sisters nissan juke it does the same thing and i cant stand it. maybe im too use to driving a stick car even though its the weakest thing out there. its a 95 civic. but still when i press the gas i want the damn thing to go. its not only annoying but dangerous when merging onto highway ramp or soemthing like that.
Old 12-13-2013, 05:03 PM
P128sniper

maybe im overreacting especially since i never even drove the car yet. But i remember even before i had the infiniti in mind is that i def dont want a car with lag like my sisters. and then i started reading about the lag on infiniti and im like wow really.
Old 12-13-2013, 05:29 PM
BLamb
Registered Member

Just test drive it then make up your own mind if it's a problem. The g37 has more than twice the power of your current car so lag or not it'll still feel like a rocket ship in comparison. If you hate it move on, one of the joys of buying a new car for me is getting a chance to try a few out and shop around. The internet/boards like this always make a problem seem worse than it actually is.
Old 12-13-2013, 06:43 PM
sniper27

Received 79 Likes on 72 Posts
one thing to keep in mind...you may not feel the lag on the test drive. the lag comes later when the transmission adapts to your driving condition. if you drive aggressively and have nothing but open roads, the car will be great. but after some time in traffic, the lag will be noticeable. many of us are victims of this. the car is brilliant on the test drive. we buy it. after a few months, we curse at this 7at.

Quick Reply: Acceleration lag???