Engine, Drivetrain & Forced-Induction
Have Technical Questions or Done Modifications to the G37? Find out the answer in here!

Acceleration lag???

Search this Thread

Old 12-14-2013, 12:42 AM
CodeG

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
After the trans reflash and fluid change, my 7AT is very responsive. There were some lag before that.
Old 12-14-2013, 04:54 AM
deadguy366

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I noticed the horrible lag in my 2011 right after buying it. Seemed like it took 5 full seconds to get power sometimes. Probably more like 2 seconds but still total bull ****. It really bothered me because neither my 08 civic or my work truck with the slipping tranny had this kind of lag and this was supposed to be a way better vehicle. I'd love to get the ECU/TCU update to see if it helps but the nearest Infiniti dealer is 2 hours away (Nissan dealership claims they can't do warranty work on Infiniti's).

Despite this I wouldn't trade it for any other car. Like another person said, after owning it for a while you get much better at hitting the gas in a way that doesn't cause as much lag. I've found the key is not to hammer the gas to the floor but instead smoothly push it to about 3/4 and hold it there. You end up getting the same gear as you would if you floored it but it happens much quicker.
Old 12-14-2013, 10:06 AM
P128sniper

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thanks for the replies guys. I gotta check with the dealer I Will be buying from to see if that update on the transmission had been done. I'm guessing the car won't be in warranty and more since I'm looking at a 2010 model. How much would this cost just in case I would need it to be done? Can only a Infiniti dealer do this or a regular mechanic as well?
Old 12-14-2013, 10:27 AM
BLamb
Registered Member

Received 25 Likes on 25 Posts
There's 2 updates, one for the transmission and one for the ECU, both make a considerable difference. If you're getting it from the dealer they would most likely provide updates for free if you requested before purchasing. Also the car has a 4 year 60k miles warranty from the factory so a '10 unless it's high miles or an 09 service date you should still have a bit of coverage left.
Old 12-14-2013, 11:17 AM
TVPostSound
Registered Member

Received 115 Likes on 88 Posts
Originally Posted by P128sniper
Hmmm Yea im def leaning back towards the Lexus is250, yea its a lot weaker, i would get the is350 but AWD is important to me and is350 doesn't have AWD in 2010 model. Like I said, the lag might not be a big deal to some but I am not spending 20+k on a laggy *** car sorry but it's just a huge deal for me.
If you have been reading about the "lag" issues, then you would certainly know there's a fix via a TCU update.

Stop trolling.
Old 12-14-2013, 11:55 AM
Tim30250

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
My car turns 4 years old today. In those 4 years, I have learned to live with 3 major complaints (this issue being one of them.) Obviously, I still own the car, so none of these issues, acceleration lag included, is significant enough for me to dispose of the vehicle.

With regard to the lag, tho, I have yet to be able to predict and adjust to it, and it annoys me on at least a weekly basis. My delay is probably only two or three seconds, but the problem compounds during those long seconds when I automatically press the pedal further to make the car move and inadvertently dial up more power than I wanted in the first place. It's most annoying when changing lanes or merging onto the highway. I don't really notice it when accelerating from a stop. It can be frustrating, if not slightly dangerous, not knowing how the car is going to react to your throttle input.

All that being said, however, it is something you can get used to - kinda, and ultimately is a relatively minor detraction from an otherwise fantastic car.. which, FTR, I plan on keeping for another 5-6 years.
Old 12-14-2013, 01:15 PM
Butternut

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
I've got a 2010xS (16K miles on it when I bought it - pushing 28K miles on it now) and I'm completely happy with how it rockets off when I punch it - I commute in this car every day. I run only Exxon and BP gas, and a small bottle of Techron at least once a month. I make sure to redline it thoroughly each weekend. My only complaint about the car is the quality of the paint. Otherwise, I love this awesome little beast. And I am so thankful it's not direct injection, with all the valve deposit issues so many folks are having with DI.
Old 12-14-2013, 02:05 PM
STEVEKID98
Registered Member

Location: i live on the jersey shore,poconos pa, and missiauga canada
Buy the 6 speed transmission . My only problem with my g is I cant find the right tires to get rid of some of the road noise, anad the fuel econo in my car is amazing. I run back and forth between Toronto and nj four to five times a month. there is 60,000 on it and the only problem im having is my clutch just went .I put stance coil overs on the car for amazing handling . to answer your other question I have no lag.down shift and punch it.this thing moves with minor bolt on upgrades.
Old 12-15-2013, 12:10 PM
P128sniper

Originally Posted by TVPostSound
If you have been reading about the "lag" issues, then you would certainly know there's a fix via a TCU update.

Stop trolling.
If you have been reading the posts, then you would know the updates did nothing for some people when it comes to lag. Trust me I read all 55 pages of the lag threads.
Old 12-15-2013, 12:26 PM
G4FSR

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I have this problem too once in a while.
When I feel the lag I just downshift using the paddle.
Good thing about the G is you can use the paddles without using the DS mode.
I have to use DS mode to use the paddles on my IS.
Old 12-15-2013, 02:06 PM
P128sniper

Originally Posted by G4FSR
I have this problem too once in a while.
When I feel the lag I just downshift using the paddle.
Good thing about the G is you can use the paddles without using the DS mode.
I have to use DS mode to use the paddles on my IS.
Hmmm didn't know that, so you can be driving in D and still use paddle shifters? I'm assuming you can only do this is the sport model because I think that's the only one that has paddle shifters.
Old 12-16-2013, 10:17 PM
G4FSR

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
^^
I have an 09 Journey sedan and it came pre-wired. Just added the paddle shifters.
You can use the paddle shifter while in D mode.