Engine, Drivetrain & Forced-Induction
Have Technical Questions or Done Modifications to the G37? Find out the answer in here!

Opinions Needed!! Infiniti says this sound is normal

Search this Thread

Old 10-23-2013, 06:05 PM
Glenn2008
Registered Member

Received 39 Likes on 34 Posts
I have a 2008 with 6mt, 70K miles, never had that noise on mine.
Old 10-23-2013, 06:33 PM
socialconflicts

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
Originally Posted by Glenn2008
I have a 2008 with 6mt, 70K miles, never had that noise on mine.

and dealer says its a normal noise, what the tech said "this is a normal noise once the clutch and flywheel are broken in it gets a bit louder" im like WTF.... 40+K car makes noises that not even a honda civic makes? interesting.... i guess thats there way of saying "fvck off we dont know what it is"

Last edited by socialconflicts; 10-23-2013 at 06:54 PM.
Old 10-24-2013, 08:21 AM
WillCo1
Registered Member

Received 68 Likes on 51 Posts
Seems to be a pretty common problem with the 6MT 370Zs. At least that's what I gathered from visiting their forum. Chattering clutch. They seem to just live with it.
Old 10-24-2013, 12:16 PM
huwee06

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by WillCo1
Seems to be a pretty common problem with the 6MT 370Zs. At least that's what I gathered from visiting their forum. Chattering clutch. They seem to just live with it.
That's not clutch chatter FYI, the chatter is when the pedal isn't pressed down in neutral position. OP clearly demonstrated the sound is happening when he's pressing it down. Take it to Nissan or to another Infiniti dealership if the one you went to are all morons.
Old 10-24-2013, 12:37 PM
socialconflicts

Originally Posted by huwee06
That's not clutch chatter FYI, the chatter is when the pedal isn't pressed down in neutral position. OP clearly demonstrated the sound is happening when he's pressing it down. Take it to Nissan or to another Infiniti dealership if the one you went to are all morons.
Correct the chatter is the transmission which is a common problem. Clearly here the grannyiisn't the issue. The problem comes when the clutch is pressed in and it's ticking not chatter
Old 10-24-2013, 01:55 PM
Darkstar752

Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts
Yea chatter comes w/ the clutch pedal up and untouched at idle. It's not a problem, just noisy the way it was designed. For what we are talking about, the pedal is pressed in, there is no chatter. The transmission should be 100% silent since the clutch is disengaged, there is nothing to chatter. But there's a ticking/knocking noise coming from the transmission.

It's a bearing somewhere. Just don't know which yet.
Old 10-24-2013, 03:22 PM
canucklehead

Received 142 Likes on 125 Posts
^ i have that exact issue. a rattling or knocking when the clutch is disengaged. i can "feel" the noise through the shifter. since it has to be a rotating element, i'm guessing the throwout bearing/CSC. i was at the dealer last week and will be going back next week for further diagnosis. the service rep hadn't properly relayed my complaint so the tech spent all his time chasing another issue.
Old 10-24-2013, 03:50 PM
Darkstar752

Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts
Originally Posted by canucklehead
^ i have that exact issue. a rattling or knocking when the clutch is disengaged. i can "feel" the noise through the shifter. since it has to be a rotating element, i'm guessing the throwout bearing/CSC. i was at the dealer last week and will be going back next week for further diagnosis. the service rep hadn't properly relayed my complaint so the tech spent all his time chasing another issue.
Thanks for the response, literally exactly what I have. Please keep us updated, I'm taking mine in a couple weeks from now. My only local dealership is known to be pretty bad though, so I would like to see if other dealerships are replacing it under warranty.
Old 10-24-2013, 06:41 PM
socialconflicts

im going to go back to the dealer and see if they can check if it's a bearing either way I'm pretty upset how infiniti cant figure this issue out
Old 10-24-2013, 07:19 PM
WillCo1
Registered Member

Received 68 Likes on 51 Posts
Originally Posted by huwee06
Oh, I see. Sorry about the mistake. I just assumed it was the same issue from seeing all the complaints in the short time I was over there.

I hope you guys get your issue resolved as quickly as as cheaply as possible!

Nothing worse than having something wrong with an otherwise perfect car. Drives you crazy.
Old 10-25-2013, 01:32 PM
toughcookie

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by canucklehead
This always happens to me. Ask to have the head mechanic ride in the car with you. The service reps are clueless
Old 10-25-2013, 01:33 PM
toughcookie

Originally Posted by socialconflicts
im going to go back to the dealer and see if they can check if it's a bearing either way I'm pretty upset how infiniti cant figure this issue out
The last dealership i went to told me it is the throwout bearing but that this is "normal" for it to make that noise. Stated even a brand new one will make that sound.
Old 10-25-2013, 01:35 PM
toughcookie

Originally Posted by Darkstar752
Thanks for the response, literally exactly what I have. Please keep us updated, I'm taking mine in a couple weeks from now. My only local dealership is known to be pretty bad though, so I would like to see if other dealerships are replacing it under warranty.
Same here. The dealership by me is useless. I am meeting with a new district rep on Nov 5th at a dealer about a hour away. Annoying i have to drive that far but at this point I just want it fixed
Old 10-25-2013, 06:02 PM
socialconflicts

Originally Posted by toughcookie
The last dealership i went to told me it is the throwout bearing but that this is "normal" for it to make that noise. Stated even a brand new one will make that sound.
funny because other people don't have this issue.
Old 10-25-2013, 08:21 PM
TakmaN
Registered Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I can't view the video at the office but I hear noise when my clutch pedal is engaged (all the way up) when I'm in neutral. Once I press the clutch pedal down, it goes away. Totally normal from my online research, asking at an Infiniti dealership, and asking my local Nissan mechanic.

I do have weird creaking sounds and light ticking feedback that can be felt through my clutch pedal and shifter. I've recently replaced my master cylinder and am going to get my new clutch and CSC installed this weekend. I can report back to see if any of my issues are fixed and maybe it can help out someone else?

Quick Reply: Opinions Needed!! Infiniti says this sound is normal