Engine, Drivetrain & Forced-Induction
Have Technical Questions or Done Modifications to the G37? Find out the answer in here!

Supercharger for daily driving in ALL WEATHER conditions???

Search this Thread

Old 10-16-2013, 03:55 PM
pgviper

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Supercharger for daily driving in ALL WEATHER conditions???

Thinking of going stage 1 supercharger from GTM. Problem is that my car is my daily driver and I have to be able to drive through snow and rain. Does anyone have any experience with these systems running in adverse conditions? Couple scenarios are below.

- snow
- heavy rain
- intakes prone to sucking in water (where is their location)?
- does the car have problems turning on in the extreme cold?
- Turning on in the extreme heat?
- Long road trip miles, overheating problems?
- Being beat on during a track day or HPDE

Thanks for any insight that you can give me!
Old 10-16-2013, 04:02 PM
GoFightNguyen
Because Racecar

Received 750 Likes on 356 Posts
The intake will be in your passenger wheel well. The intercooler won't suck water. As long as you're careful, the boost comes on steadily in SC applications. IMO, it's easier to drive with a SC, turbos tend to have the boost come slowly before a massive ramp up as your turbos spool up.

I think throttle control is the important thing to consider when driving in adverse conditions. Snow and rain shouldn't preclude you from getting a supercharger. However, if this is your daily driver, you should realize that a SC install will take a few days to get right, you'll need a tune, VB upgrade if it's an automatic, and a transmission and oil cooler. You may also want to swap out your fuel injectors. I got a quote on this system a few weeks ago and it was 13,000 for a turnkey installation that includes everything I mentioned and estimated labor.

Forced induction is not cheap, if you can bankroll it, everything I've read indicates these cars love boost, but my 2 cents is that 13K is a lot to invest for 150 horsepower. It would be more economic in the long run to get a different car if you want to reach that kind of Hp.

That being said, forced induction is the ****.

Hope that helps!
Anthony
Old 10-16-2013, 04:15 PM
pgviper

Originally Posted by GoFightNguyen
The intake will be in your passenger wheel well. The intercooler won't suck water. As long as you're careful, the boost comes on steadily in SC applications. IMO, it's easier to drive with a SC, turbos tend to have the boost come slowly before a massive ramp up as your turbos spool up.

I think throttle control is the important thing to consider when driving in adverse conditions. Snow and rain shouldn't preclude you from getting a supercharger. However, if this is your daily driver, you should realize that a SC install will take a few days to get right, you'll need a tune, VB upgrade if it's an automatic, and a transmission and oil cooler. You may also want to swap out your fuel injectors. I got a quote on this system a few weeks ago and it was 13,000 for a turnkey installation that includes everything I mentioned and estimated labor.

Forced induction is not cheap, if you can bankroll it, everything I've read indicates these cars love boost, but my 2 cents is that 13K is a lot to invest for 150 horsepower. It would be more economic in the long run to get a different car if you want to reach that kind of Hp.

That being said, forced induction is the ****.

Hope that helps!
Anthony

Thanks for the info man. I really appreciate it. Would you mind telling me how much the labor was as compared to the kit/tune? You can send me a PM if you would like. 13k Sounds pretty steep considering stg1 gtm supercharger is about half of that.
Old 10-16-2013, 04:26 PM
GoFightNguyen
Because Racecar

Received 750 Likes on 356 Posts
PM sent.

As far as starting up, I haven't seen anyone in North America with startup issues. I had my G in Midland, Texas during the summer (100+ deg F), and our friendly neighbors north of the border seem to own plenty of G's without complaining about starting. To answer your question, within reasonable conditions, the G doesn't have startup issues.

Overheating isn't typically an issue, as long as you get the aforementioned oil and tranny coolers. The VQ engine runs hot, and the coolers, while not *absolutely* required, are definitely "A Good Idea".

Your mileage may increase on road trips with the super, since you'll need to stomp the pedal less to cruise and the efficiency gain *might* offset the parasitic losses from turning the blower. As long as your intercooler are not obstructed, i would say you're A-Okay. Tracking the car is fine also, I think, within reason.

Anthony
Old 10-16-2013, 10:03 PM
Mkai0

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Pm sent to you!
Old 10-17-2013, 07:07 PM
Q8y_drifter

Received 39 Likes on 9 Posts
^^ Please send me whatever you sent him. I'm interested in knowing your experience.
Old 10-17-2013, 08:09 PM
Vizard_87
Premier Member

Received 255 Likes on 201 Posts
I'm thinking on getting GTM STG 1 SC for my 2008 G37 (Auto) as well by spring of next year. I'd like to learn more as well! subbed to this thread!
Old 10-18-2013, 07:53 AM
ANMVQ
Registered Member

Received 394 Likes on 343 Posts
I had no issues with the "only" summer I drove mine. 100+ for 8 days strait ! Just make sure you have a oil cooler and if auto a trans cooler. AN MAKE sure you have your tuner turn the cooling fans on 100% at 180 deg, Instead of the factor 210 :/.
Old 10-19-2013, 10:29 PM
dillyyo

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I drove my 300ZX Twin Turbo for years in all NJ weather. The car laid down about 450 to the wheels and was completely modified from larger turbos, injectors, suspension, etc. Never had a problem driving (obviously not up snow covered roads and the like) as long as you controlled the throttle properly and know how to maintain or regain control of car that slightly breaks off.
Old 11-03-2013, 01:45 AM
Fezzik

Received 57 Likes on 11 Posts
I drive mine during the winters here in Chicago. No problems, so long as you have winter tires and do not do anything stupid. I DO have a cold startup issue. When it gets to low 50 to high 40s or below I have to give it a tap of gas to get it started. Sam and I never were able to figure this out. Car drives fine and doesnt have any problems other than the cold start.
Old 11-03-2013, 11:56 AM
Mkai0

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
GTM makes a great reliable SC system if you plan to use your car as a daily. In my honest opinion, if you do not plan to build your engine or transmission, the GTM SC kits are best for the drivetrain. Installation and tuning are also key. If these two things are done right, you will have a very solid reliable system that will be able to match the power and acceleration of the new Mustang 5.0's. A few of them have been surprised when my four door "family car" was able to pass them. Currently my Stage 1.5 SC kit is in the process of being taken off to install a Twin turbo kit and forged internals. If 400-500 wheel horsepower is enough for you, then you will not be disappointed. Good luck, and let us know if you have anymore questions.
Old 11-04-2013, 04:48 PM
pgviper

Originally Posted by Fezzik
I drive mine during the winters here in Chicago. No problems, so long as you have winter tires and do not do anything stupid. I DO have a cold startup issue. When it gets to low 50 to high 40s or below I have to give it a tap of gas to get it started. Sam and I never were able to figure this out. Car drives fine and doesnt have any problems other than the cold start.
Did you post an article of your build? You installed the supercharger with a friend and what not?

If so I just read it last week because I would probably do the install with my dad, thats if this happens. We have a pretty awesome track car so I just find it hard to drop that much money into my g. THanks for the advice though!
Old 11-07-2013, 01:03 PM
terrycs
Registered Member

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
You shouldn't have any issues with forced induction (turbo or SC) as long as it is properly designed and tuned for your intended use.
Old 11-21-2013, 11:10 PM
kcg37

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Definitely ok to drive through winter . My Rotrex based BMW system on my old zhp performed flawlessly. You should idle for a few minutes in freezing weather though to circulate the traction oil. The rotrex is commonly used for snow mobile racers, and was developed in scandinavia. I actually bought the replacement oil on a snow mobile website out the cheap.