Engine, Drivetrain & Forced-Induction
Have Technical Questions or Done Modifications to the G37? Find out the answer in here!

issues with megan racing exhaust

Search this Thread

Old 10-06-2013, 12:50 AM
veils1de

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
issues with megan racing exhaust

I just installed the megan racing axleback on my '09 g37 coupe and ran into a few unexpected problems:

1. The dimensions for the bolting on were considerably off. The holes from the pipes to the axleback didn't line up perfectly. The megan exhaust ended up being a little bit wider, so to get it to bolt on completely I had to buy thinner bolts to compensate for the lack of space. Did anyone run into this problem? As a result of this, it feels that there is a bit of exhaust leaking between the mid pipes to the axleback

2. After installing, initially the engine would start, then die completely after about a second. So I tried resetting the ECU. I dont know if I actually did it correctly, but the problem went away and now the car starts fine.

3. Occasionally on start up, the RPMs would dip quite a bit below 1000rpm, then come back up. Definitely feels off.

Any thoughts on these problems?
Old 10-06-2013, 02:16 AM
m0nkey

Received 13 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by veils1de
I just installed the megan racing axleback on my '09 g37 coupe and ran into a few unexpected problems:

1. The dimensions for the bolting on were considerably off. The holes from the pipes to the axleback didn't line up perfectly. The megan exhaust ended up being a little bit wider, so to get it to bolt on completely I had to buy thinner bolts to compensate for the lack of space. Did anyone run into this problem? As a result of this, it feels that there is a bit of exhaust leaking between the mid pipes to the axleback

2. After installing, initially the engine would start, then die completely after about a second. So I tried resetting the ECU. I dont know if I actually did it correctly, but the problem went away and now the car starts fine.

3. Occasionally on start up, the RPMs would dip quite a bit below 1000rpm, then come back up. Definitely feels off.

Any thoughts on these problems?
I had the exact same issue as number 1. I emailed Megan about the issue hopefully they will fix this issue. That's a smart move with the thinner bolts, I might have to do that if they don't fix anything.

Ps I waited 3 weeks for mines since there were on back order
Old 10-06-2013, 04:34 AM
veils1de

Are you still running the exhaust though? It works fine with thinner bolts, but I think the gasket doesn't have a good seal so some of the gas leaks. Just wondering if this is going to be a problem for the car
Old 10-07-2013, 09:40 AM
TeeItHi
Registered Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2.5" custom exhaust pipe & megan racing axle back

i had same problem lining up the muffler to my custom 2.5" piping, i know this is not exact same set up as stock piping. basically i had to use some "c" clamps to twist & line up the bolt holes & used a 3" gasket. good idea on using smaller bolts.

did you also try bolting them without hanging the muffler or just leaving the hangers loose?
Old 10-07-2013, 10:24 AM
m0nkey

Nope I took off the exhaust after a day, I'm gonna switch out the titanium tips for a polish stainless steel tips that doesn't have any manufacturing etching on it (horrible idea from Megan, makes the exhaust look cheap). And my idea to make the exhaust fit the mid pipes is to grind (the two bolt holes) the side closet to the piping so the bolts will line up correctly.

Last edited by m0nkey; 10-07-2013 at 11:19 AM.
Old 10-07-2013, 03:22 PM
veils1de

Originally Posted by TeeItHi
i had same problem lining up the muffler to my custom 2.5" piping, i know this is not exact same set up as stock piping. basically i had to use some "c" clamps to twist & line up the bolt holes & used a 3" gasket. good idea on using smaller bolts.

did you also try bolting them without hanging the muffler or just leaving the hangers loose?
the dimensions were considerably off, i doubt leaving the hangers off would have helped. i wouldnt drive with them like that anyway.

Originally Posted by m0nkey
Nope I took off the exhaust after a day, I'm gonna switch out the titanium tips for a polish stainless steel tips that doesn't have any manufacturing etching on it (horrible idea from Megan, makes the exhaust look cheap). And my idea to make the exhaust fit the mid pipes is to grind (the two bolt holes) the side closet to the piping so the bolts will line up correctly.
yeah the etching bothers me too. i'm kind of surprised this problem hasn't been brought up on this forum. i posted on 6mt and people have said the same thing. now the ark grip is more tempting than ever
Old 10-08-2013, 09:43 AM
TeeItHi
Registered Member

Originally Posted by veils1de
the dimensions were considerably off, i doubt leaving the hangers off would have helped. i wouldnt drive with them like that anyway.
LOL i dont mean you should drive with hangers loose. loosen them so that you'll have more play when twisting & lining up the holes. LOL
Old 10-08-2013, 05:53 PM
veils1de

Originally Posted by TeeItHi
LOL i dont mean you should drive with hangers loose. loosen them so that you'll have more play when twisting & lining up the holes. LOL
heh, well that wouldn't have helped. i'm going to email megan too and see what they say
Old 10-17-2013, 03:58 PM
m0nkey

I have given up on megan's customer service, they are always asking for me to take pictures and send it to them. I will never buy a megan product ever again. I wish i knew about the fitment or else i would have spent the extra money for the tanabe axel-back.

PS: I went to ace hardware to buy smaller bolts and I still have an exhaust leak (Im using two gaskets as well, the OEM and the megan gasket), The smaller bolts did actually help but the exhaust is still misaligned from the OEM mid pipes.

Name:  1-4.jpeg
Views: 240
Size:  72.6 KB

Name:  2-4.jpeg
Views: 226
Size:  68.2 KB

Name:  image-2.jpeg
Views: 234
Size:  54.4 KB

Name:  3-2.jpeg
Views: 251
Size:  57.3 KB

Removed the Titanium Burnt Tip along with the ugly Megan Logo (All I did was take 1000, 1200, 2000 grit sandpaper and wetsand than i took my mothers powerball along with mothers mag & aluminum polish and buffed it to a polish finish) It looks 100 times better

Name:  IMG_2218.jpg
Views: 264
Size:  97.0 KB

Last edited by m0nkey; 10-17-2013 at 04:19 PM.
Old 10-28-2013, 09:57 AM
Tachyon

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts
Was browsing through Amazon and found the Megan axleback exhaust on sale for $44... Couldn't really say no as the stock mufflers on my 08 were getting a bit oxidized. Due to the fitment issues would you guys recommend having this installed at a muffler shop? If so how much do you think a job like this would run?
Old 11-09-2013, 01:24 PM
~Lefty~

Going to bump this as I installed mine last night. Same issue with the flanges not lining up. I used the gaskets that came with the Megan but I had a leak.

Switched over to the OEM (old) ones and the leak appears to be gone. I had to use industrial grade studs and nuts with my air impact to pull everything together. The flanges took some work to pull them together to get everything lined up.