Engine, Drivetrain & Forced-Induction
Have Technical Questions or Done Modifications to the G37? Find out the answer in here!

Hypertech w/tune, throttle restriction off, intake tune - Reliability?

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-2013, 12:48 PM
08G37SBLUE

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Hypertech w/throttle restriction off & Intake tune - Reliability?

I have a 08 G7S 5 speed Auto.

Have KN Short ram Intakes, Exhaust Depot Y pipe & Tanabe Axle back exhaust.

My question is the Hypertech 62005 programmer. I have the 0-60 throttle removed, Tune with Takeda Intake option.

Using this programmer will it decrease the reliability of the car? Anyone have issues with it in long run. Best to just leave it stock with only bolt ons mainly for noise.

Like your input.

Thanks!

Last edited by 08G37SBLUE; 07-26-2013 at 09:58 AM.
Old 07-22-2013, 02:17 PM
08G37SBLUE

bump....
Old 07-24-2013, 12:25 PM
ANMVQ
Registered Member

Received 394 Likes on 343 Posts
all I know is the HT bricked wife ECU , An I lost a ton of WHP on my MS3. I would save the $$ and get a tune. Just my .02 tho
Old 07-24-2013, 01:35 PM
chuckie311
Drop A Gear and Disappear

Received 194 Likes on 160 Posts
+1 go get a uprev or ecutek tune...while the tune maybe reliable your A/F might still be off with a canned tune
Old 07-26-2013, 09:51 AM
08G37SBLUE

Thx for both of your advice. Anyone else that comment on this subject or have experience with HT?

I heard some negative things but lot more positive when I researched it. I know a custom tune will always be better then a canned tune. I only have $250 invested in it and can always sell it in future.

I'm testing out the gas mileage right now. Driving it normal, 100% city & filled it up with pure gas.

During Idle, Revving & under hard load up to 7500 rpms. I don't hear anything weird.

It seems to pull harder then factory. I can break the tires lose easily with 285/35 19 tires, dry payment, at a stop and hit the gas.
Old 07-26-2013, 10:55 PM
G37-Pearl

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
i am with first replays ( ANMVQ , chuckie311 ) custom tune is far more better for your car

Ht won't give the full potintial of you ride so save up some money and do it right
Old 07-26-2013, 11:56 PM
08G37SBLUE

Originally Posted by G37-Pearl
i am with first replays ( ANMVQ , chuckie311 ) custom tune is far more better for your car

Ht won't give the full potintial of you ride so save up some money and do it right

This is what Hypertech responded;

*The Programmer pulls the vehicles VIN# and computer calibrations out of the vehicles computer and will know what you have so it can give you the correct tuning for your vehicle, nothing canned about our tuning. Selecting the CAI corrects the mass air flow calculations so it will run properly with the CAI installed. The inside diameter of the air intake tube where the mass air flow sensor installs is the determining factor. If the K&N and Takeda SRI have approximately the same inside diameter then selecting the K&N and will be fine. There is no problem with the other bolt on modifications.

I do agree a dyno custom is gonna give u better power but I only paid couple hundred versus $500+, only was looking to remove throttle restriction and minor gains.

Talking with Hypertech and reading other people's experience my setup seems safe. All I was really double checking.

So far gas mileage seems same or slightly better then stock. Doesn't appear to be using more gas which is nice.
Old 07-27-2013, 10:36 AM
Adam West
Registered Member

Received 38 Likes on 31 Posts
Originally Posted by 08G37SBLUE
This is what Hypertech responded;

*The Programmer pulls the vehicles VIN# and computer calibrations out of the vehicles computer and will know what you have so it can give you the correct tuning for your vehicle, nothing canned about our tuning. Selecting the CAI corrects the mass air flow calculations so it will run properly with the CAI installed. The inside diameter of the air intake tube where the mass air flow sensor installs is the determining factor. If the K&N and Takeda SRI have approximately the same inside diameter then selecting the K&N and will be fine. There is no problem with the other bolt on modifications.

I do agree a dyno custom is gonna give u better power but I only paid couple hundred versus $500+, only was looking to remove throttle restriction and minor gains.

Talking with Hypertech and reading other people's experience my setup seems safe. All I was really double checking.

So far gas mileage seems same or slightly better then stock. Doesn't appear to be using more gas which is nice.
It is a canned tune, no matter what they say, they just offer some pre-selected options that will alter the map accordingly. Anyways, the only real way to know about safe factor is to hit the dyno w/ air+fuel ratio or get a data logger to grab values from the factory widebands.
The following users liked this post:
ANMVQ (07-27-2013)
Old 07-27-2013, 04:22 PM
08G37SBLUE

Originally Posted by Adam West
It is a canned tune, no matter what they say, they just offer some pre-selected options that will alter the map accordingly. Anyways, the only real way to know about safe factor is to hit the dyno w/ air+fuel ratio or get a data logger to grab values from the factory widebands.
Ya just going by what they say. I think its a canned tune as well.

If its safer to return to stock then probably be better choice especially if its not much more performance then stock.

Will the stock ECU adjust to the bolt ons?
Old 08-04-2013, 11:53 PM
kcg37

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Only to a certain extent. I'd just get a dyno with an afr or see if you can get your fuel trims evaluated with a scan tool. I vote for dyno, it's really fun to see if your efforts/$ paid off. I'm pretty sure you shouldn't be running the intake tune without a true CAi. Regardless I bet you're afrs would be ok, since you're not running Hfc/test pipes/headers.
Hypertech has a really good reputation on 'Murican cars and have been around for a while, I trust their tunes, for what they are.