Engine, Drivetrain & Forced-Induction
Have Technical Questions or Done Modifications to the G37? Find out the answer in here!

Installed my RJM Performance Clutch Pedal Assembly

Search this Thread

Old 06-10-2013, 10:19 PM
Varjo

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Installed my RJM Performance Clutch Pedal Assembly

And holy crap what a difference! I ordered this thing back in January and its been sitting around for months waiting to be installed.

Man do I regret waiting, it really is like night and day. Much smoother more progressive feel, and the engagement point isn't annoyingly right at the top of the travel anymore.

Anyone who is on the fence about this, absolutely go for it! Well worth it.
The following users liked this post:
cdcG (06-11-2013)
Old 06-11-2013, 12:03 AM
sprix

Received 37 Likes on 27 Posts
I installed one of these on my G35coupe and was pleased. The clutch I had there was difficult to modulate and predict.

I've been fairly pleased with the OEM assembly on the G37 relative to the G35, but I know there is room for improvement. I love the fact that the G37 assemblies are even more adjustable. I might pick this up in the future.
Old 06-11-2013, 08:08 PM
cdcG

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
I was actually looking into one of these. Can you change the engagement point so it's not right at the end of the pedal travel? Also, can you actually manipulate how long the engagement is of the clutch in order to make it smoother? Man, I would love to see a video of that thing in action. Also, is it smoother now driving in traffic?
Old 06-11-2013, 10:13 PM
Black Betty
Lexus Defector

Received 2,087 Likes on 1,267 Posts
I think I know the answer to this, but is it possible to adjust this pedal to give a firmer or weaker feel?
Old 06-11-2013, 10:47 PM
JSolo
Just say no!!!!!

Received 590 Likes on 494 Posts
I've read the installation/adjustment instructions several times. I don't think you can adjust the pedal feel, but you can change the friction zone window duration. So perhaps indirectly you're changing the pedal feel by enlarging this friction zone window. This adjustment has to do with the fulcrum point. I think the actual pedal feel is more a function of the pressure plate. The RJM pedal uses it's own spring, which is much different from the stock pedal bracket spring type. Perhaps changing this too would alter pedal feel.

I was on the fence about getting one of these last summer, but after driving the car for well over 10K, even in stop and go traffic, i'm quite content with just the weaker spring mod. Muscle memory has well developed for smooth takes offs, shifting, even on a hill.

Ultimately, I think it depends on what you're used to and what you're coming from. On a typical sport bike with a hydraulic clutch, the entire window might just be 1/2" or less in lever travel, so it is something i've experienced before and used to (~200K miles on 2 wheels in the last 15 years).

I think if you want the ultimate in adjustability, the rjm is the right choice.
Old 06-12-2013, 09:51 PM
sprix

Received 37 Likes on 27 Posts
I hope this is of value, guys.

On the RJM I had on my 04 6MT G35, the pedal feel could be adjusted as well as adjusting the engagement point. Although I did not keep my old coupe very long after installing, the pedal feel was much more docile and agreeable immediately after installing. I wouldn't say it created pain or tension before the RJM install, but it was the hardest clutch I ever encountered. Period.

The only thing it honestly didn't do was hugely enlarge the window so it was not an on/off change. The window was larger, but not as much as I hoped. I strongly suspect this was caused by my aftermarket clutch setup, which proved to be a major hindrance. Regardless, it was much easier to modulate after I had the RJM assembly installed.

The kit for G37 6MT is has even more adjustability and can be adjusted with more ease. The more I read about it, the more I find that this specific kit is just amazing. Head and shoulders above the old kit I had.

These are words from the website about the kit for 08+ G37 6MT.

"They feature an all new A.F.P. Adjustment mechanism which utilizes a Thumb-Wheel which you simply dial up or down to adjust your clutch pedal feel, friction point and engagement width. Simply dial in exactly the pedal feel that's most comfortable to you and your specific clutch setup. Adjusting the new system takes only minutes and it can even be adjusted on the fly for more aggressive high rpm shifting or smoother more refined shifting on the street. "

That is impressive. Much more utility than the unit for the older car that I had. I have not driven with one in a G37, but I sure want to now. Like Jsolo said, this will likely give the end user the ultimate in adjustability.

370Z & G37 AFP Clutch Pedal Assemblies - *RJM Performance.com
The following users liked this post:
cdcG (06-12-2013)
Old 06-12-2013, 10:26 PM
Varjo

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Originally Posted by sprix
I hope this is of value, guys.

On the RJM I had on my 04 6MT G35, the pedal feel could be adjusted as well as adjusting the engagement point. Although I did not keep my old coupe very long after installing, the pedal feel was much more docile and agreeable immediately after installing. I wouldn't say it created pain or tension before the RJM install, but it was the hardest clutch I ever encountered. Period.

The only thing it honestly didn't do was hugely enlarge the window so it was not an on/off change. The window was larger, but not as much as I hoped. I strongly suspect this was caused by my aftermarket clutch setup, which proved to be a major hindrance. Regardless, it was much easier to modulate after I had the RJM assembly installed.

The kit for G37 6MT is has even more adjustability and can be adjusted with more ease. The more I read about it, the more I find that this specific kit is just amazing. Head and shoulders above the old kit I had.

These are words from the website about the kit for 08+ G37 6MT.

"They feature an all new A.F.P. Adjustment mechanism which utilizes a Thumb-Wheel which you simply dial up or down to adjust your clutch pedal feel, friction point and engagement width. Simply dial in exactly the pedal feel that's most comfortable to you and your specific clutch setup. Adjusting the new system takes only minutes and it can even be adjusted on the fly for more aggressive high rpm shifting or smoother more refined shifting on the street. "

That is impressive. Much more utility than the unit for the older car that I had. I have not driven with one in a G37, but I sure want to now. Like Jsolo said, this will likely give the end user the ultimate in adjustability.

370Z & G37 AFP Clutch Pedal Assemblies - *RJM Performance.com
It really is this good, I wasn't expecting such an amazing difference.
Old 07-28-2013, 04:15 PM
dkmesa350z
Registered Member

Received 45 Likes on 38 Posts
Thanks for your feedback guys. Thanks to your reviews and a few others I decided to give this kit a try. After a few quick drives, I know I'm going to love it!

Set the AFP adjuster at 70% and tried 80% and 60% also. I've left it at 75% for the time being and will see how that works for me.