Engine, Drivetrain & Forced-Induction
Have Technical Questions or Done Modifications to the G37? Find out the answer in here!

Hydro-locked my car

Search this Thread

Old 06-10-2013, 11:22 AM
buckets

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by John B
I tried to give him something that's at least somewhat close to the current price range :-)
i bought my g used for 26k so a zl1 is more than double that :P also why are you all hating on a sports cars just cuz its slow?

Originally Posted by NJ Torque
I work at a dealer in Long Island, I can get the car towed here and make sure everything is fine...
which dealership do you work for?
Old 06-10-2013, 11:35 AM
Doubleminded

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts
[QUOTE=buckets;3640161]i bought my g used for 26k so a zl1 is more than double that :P also why are you all hating on a sports cars just cuz its slow?

I actually like the look of the BRZ/FRS, if you can get them to make some decent power they would be monsters. But they sound of turboed them from the factory. They would be great if they had the power that they have handling.
Old 06-10-2013, 01:47 PM
buckets

the aftermarket support for the frs/brz is huge, there are so many turbo and supercharger kits out for it. its gotten up to 600hp on a stock block so i think its got potential. either way im hoping other manufacturers start making cheap lighweight rwd sports cars. so what do you think the chances my car doesnt have a bent rod, cracked piston, or spun bearing? im hoping if they do decide to fix it, they do a good job.
Old 06-10-2013, 09:01 PM
John B

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts
Originally Posted by buckets
i bought my g used for 26k so a zl1 is more than double that :P also why are you all hating on a sports cars just cuz its slow?

which dealership do you work for?
No ones hating on a BRZ, it is what it is and ultimately it's your money. If you had a G37S 6mt I could see a BRZ being a distant thought for you though. Good luck with whatever decision you make
Old 06-11-2013, 12:29 AM
Elperuano

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
"Why hate on a sports car that's slow"
Lol thas like saying "why hate on Miss America just because shes ugly??"
Old 06-14-2013, 09:14 AM
daonlyillwiz

Received 30 Likes on 19 Posts
you might have just fried the starter...now if the starter is kicking in and the engine isnt rotating then you my friend are ****ed.

PS: unplugging your battery for some time wont fix a hydrolocked engine.
Old 06-14-2013, 12:57 PM
buckets

lets hope i just fried the starter, i sent the car to a garage to get diagnosed. ill know more next week. ill keep updating.

Edit:
Originally Posted by daonlyillwiz
PS: unplugging your battery for some time wont fix a hydrolocked engine.
what are you referring to daonly?

Last edited by buckets; 06-14-2013 at 01:02 PM.
Old 06-14-2013, 01:50 PM
terrycs
Registered Member

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Couple of questions .. Did you take it apart to see if there was there water going up past the MAF? If not, you might just have a "clogged" filter. Like the others have said, a wet MAF can shut off the engine.

When you tried to start it, did it turn over? If it turns over, it may not be as bad as you think. A true hydrolock is when the motor sucks up enough water to flood the cylinders enough to break rods.

I have a feeling it will be fine once the water is cleaned out of the intake so I wouldn't start car shopping just yet.

Originally Posted by buckets
so we had a lot of rain in CT and without realizing it a lake formed on the street i was driving down and well you can guess the rest. my car is all stock in the engine bay, i had it towed back to my house at 2 am. insurance paid for the tow and rental. i did make the mistake of trying to start it, twice... the water id guess was a foot and half deep at most, none got in the interior, the air filters were drenched. im waiting on the claims adjuster now but you wanna know the worst part? i had just ordered lowering spring on friday and this happened early sat (1 am)

i had paid the car off last october, half of me hopes its not totalled but then again i dont wanna get some ****ty hack job of a repair cuz the car ran great prior to this. On the bright side i have been looking at cars to replace it with, maybe get back into a proper manual.

anyone have any experience with this? also before you tell me i shouldnt have tried to start it, im aware and wasnt thinking. how about some ideas on a replacement cars? new or used, has to be fun to drive and not a money pit. my car is an 09 g37x with 51k on the clock.
Old 06-14-2013, 02:34 PM
buckets

i was going to clean it up and pull the plugs on wednesday but the adjuster came that day. i let it sit since saturday without the air filters to dry them and we tried to start it on wed and nothing, didnt sputter, bog down or really do anything. lights on the dash went dim and it stopped trying to turn on after i pushed it to start.

im just gonna wait till next week and see, my insurance has been pretty good about everything and i havent really had any inconvenience, they paid for the tow and the rental.

i really do not want to buy a new car, i really like my g despite its querks and dumb transmission. if they knew how to program an auto from the start this car would have been amazing
Old 06-14-2013, 03:09 PM
SharpByCoop

Received 56 Likes on 48 Posts
"we tried to start it on wed and nothing, didnt sputter, bog down or really do anything."

As a former mechanic, I cringe when I hear vague descriptions to diagnose. Turning over is one aspect. Starting to run after turning over is another. From what I can gather this thing will not turn over.

Sounds like the cylinder has water in it. Can't compress.

It may be fatal, and it may relieve after the plugs are removed. If it doesn't turn OVER at all and the lights dim, the starter is attempting but it's frozen.

Prognosis: Dim, but there is hope.

Coop
Old 06-14-2013, 03:46 PM
buckets

We shall see what happens next week. Anyone recommend a shop in CT or RI to do a possible engine replacement? Right now the car is at B&D auto body in montville, CT.

Edit: Coop you hit the nail on the head.
Old 06-18-2013, 08:29 PM
buckets

So I called and spoke with an insurance adjuster, apparently they just wanna throw another engine in it in lieu of doing any diagnostics prior to engine replacement. Im actually mad about this because id like to know the original engine is ****ed before they put some unknown engine in. If it comes down to it ill probly just go down there and try and crank it over myself.
Old 06-18-2013, 08:48 PM
Black Betty
Lexus Defector

Received 2,087 Likes on 1,267 Posts
I would think your be ecstatic. A brand new engine is brand new. Fixing yours could possibly be a nightmare. Wouldn't you always have a bit of nagging doubt about its reliability in the back of your mind? The "unknown" engine is new and undamaged. What if they diagnose and repair your engine, only to discover that there's something they missed and have to start over? Or if it never runs the same?
Old 06-18-2013, 10:40 PM
buckets

Originally Posted by Black Betty
I would think your be ecstatic. A brand new engine is brand new. Fixing yours could possibly be a nightmare. Wouldn't you always have a bit of nagging doubt about its reliability in the back of your mind? The "unknown" engine is new and undamaged. What if they diagnose and repair your engine, only to discover that there's something they missed and have to start over? Or if it never runs the same?
If the engine is brand new then yes I would be very happy but I think its a junkyard motor. I just want to know without a doubt my engine is damaged and requires another engine. Im just annoyed by the slow pace of this whole process.
Old 06-18-2013, 10:45 PM
JSolo
Just say no!!!!!

Received 590 Likes on 494 Posts
Your adjuster should be able to clarify exactly what you're getting or not getting.

Quick Reply: Hydro-locked my car