Engine, Drivetrain & Forced-Induction
Have Technical Questions or Done Modifications to the G37? Find out the answer in here!

k and n reusable oil filter this for real?

Search this Thread

Old 06-03-2013, 03:46 AM
lightlypurified
Registered Member

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts
k and n reusable oil filter this for real?

So k and n has just released a reusable oil filter i was wondering what your guys's thoughts are on this is this for real?

SS-1008 - K&N Performance Products, Oil Filter; Billet direct from K&N
Old 06-03-2013, 11:00 AM
Buckeye G

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts
Interesting.....
Old 06-03-2013, 11:12 AM
Rad_Slinger

Received 81 Likes on 59 Posts
$209?

Lets do the math here

Typical K&N filter for our engine = $12ish
Changing my penzoil ultra every 3k miles (ya...really early) = 4 times a year...if that

So that would give me about 5 years of using the disposable filters before I approached the cost of the reusable one.......let alone if you use one of the other cheaper paper filters.

Now, In reality I change my oil twice a year. So that would give me about 10 years before I approach the cost of the reusable K&N filter.

How long am I keeping my car again?

This would be attractive if the cut the price in half...plus some, but honestly it doesn't make much sense in terms of savings. However interesting a concept this may be, it opens up some problems for me. Like now there's another seal you have to worry about leaking. And would you be able to clean the filter without changing the oil? Would you even want to?

IMHO, it's interesting, but completely unnecessary.
Old 06-03-2013, 11:46 AM
Black Betty
Lexus Defector

Received 2,087 Likes on 1,267 Posts
I'm wondering when these clowns will market reusable toilet paper and get some unsuspecting people to buy it. They'll sell you a roll that costs $400, can be cleaned and used to wipe your azz over an over for up to 20 years, and all you have to to is wash it out using a very specific method using special cleaning products that only they sell (don't over oil it!). Nevermind that it has the texture of 60 grit sand paper. And performs it's job like it's John Wayne (it ain't never taking no shyt off nobody!).

I guess my thoughts are, uh no thanks. I'll stick to my disposable filters for $6 that I can throw away and replace and know that the one I put one is completely clean. Plus I don't have to clean it or spend extra time breaking down and cleaning a filter in the middle of my oil change. How long does it take for this to dry after washing it with soap and water while I'm waiting to finish an oil change?

But some people will buy it because it says K&N and they somehow market well enough to make people believe that they're not paying top dollar for products that have garbage filtration properties. Just like the reason their air filters "flow more air" is because they don't filter anything and are as porous as a sieve. Hopefully it performs better than their air filters.
K&N Air Filter Review - Debunking the Myths (and why OEM is better)
The following users liked this post:
timp (06-03-2013)
Old 06-03-2013, 12:36 PM
chuckie311
Drop A Gear and Disappear

Received 194 Likes on 160 Posts
would never touch it!! and LMAO at Black Betty!
Old 06-03-2013, 02:31 PM
UncleFunkle
Registered Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Soooooo, that's a yes for you????

Originally Posted by Black Betty
I'm wondering when these clowns will market reusable toilet paper and get some unsuspecting people to buy it. They'll sell you a roll that costs $400, can be cleaned and used to wipe your azz over an over for up to 20 years, and all you have to to is wash it out using a very specific method using special cleaning products that only they sell (don't over oil it!). Nevermind that it has the texture of 60 grit sand paper. And performs it's job like it's John Wayne (it ain't never taking no shyt off nobody!).

I guess my thoughts are, uh no thanks. I'll stick to my disposable filters for $6 that I can throw away and replace and know that the one I put one is completely clean. Plus I don't have to clean it or spend extra time breaking down and cleaning a filter in the middle of my oil change. How long does it take for this to dry after washing it with soap and water while I'm waiting to finish an oil change?

But some people will buy it because it says K&N and they somehow market well enough to make people believe that they're not paying top dollar for products that have garbage filtration properties. Just like the reason their air filters "flow more air" is because they don't filter anything and are as porous as a sieve. Hopefully it performs better than their air filters.
K&N Air Filter Review - Debunking the Myths (and why OEM is better)
Old 06-03-2013, 06:05 PM
RISKY GUY

Received 43 Likes on 31 Posts
Originally Posted by Rad_Slinger
$209?

Lets do the math here

Typical K&N filter for our engine = $12ish
Changing my penzoil ultra every 3k miles (ya...really early) = 4 times a year...if that

So that would give me about 5 years of using the disposable filters before I approached the cost of the reusable one.......let alone if you use one of the other cheaper paper filters.

Now, In reality I change my oil twice a year. So that would give me about 10 years before I approach the cost of the reusable K&N filter.

How long am I keeping my car again?

This would be attractive if the cut the price in half...plus some, but honestly it doesn't make much sense in terms of savings. However interesting a concept this may be, it opens up some problems for me. Like now there's another seal you have to worry about leaking. And would you be able to clean the filter without changing the oil? Would you even want to?

IMHO, it's interesting, but completely unnecessary.
I ended up getting a ets brand intake for the evo.
That was 1st question, idk of this specific set up.
The 5 inch k & n filter is used, it has a velocity stack.
That's my guess of the high price,one was made of high quality aluminum.