Engine, Drivetrain & Forced-Induction
Have Technical Questions or Done Modifications to the G37? Find out the answer in here!

Hesitation

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-2013, 09:11 AM
lasher

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy Hesitation

Hey guys. I have a 2008 G-37S. It is stock. I have had my local mechanic and Infinity dealership both inspect the car, and no error codes come up. Here is the problem: If you hit the gas in a normal every day manner, there is a half second of hesitation before the throttle kicks in. Has anyone else experienced this? If you nail the accelerator, it goes like a rocket, no issues, no hesitation. If you take off as if you are trying to save gas, you get the hesitation. My wife owns a FX-35 and it has linear acceleration, no hesitation.

On the flip side, while they were inspecting my car, they gave me a regular G-37 2010 model. It "seemed" like it had the same hesitation.

This has been going on since day 1. My mechanic has replaced the "knock" sensors trying to address the problem and I have run fuel injector cleaner through it several times. I am not a gear head and know little about the inner workings of the G-37s. I can change the oil and clean the K&N air filters, but that is about it.

Is it all in my head, a design in car, or does anyone have any idea what might be causing the hesitation?
Old 04-26-2013, 09:41 AM
ai3j50

Received 10 Likes on 4 Posts
All G37's suffer from throttle lag from what I have read on the forums. You may want to try adding grounding wires, especially on the throttle bodies. I did and the issue is slightly improved but not gone. Also check with your dealer to make sure you have the updated software for the ECM and TCM, there is a TSB for throttle lag. If it is really bothering you then you might want to get an Uprev tune...
Old 04-26-2013, 09:46 AM
YellowJacket

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts
Hey there fellow East Tennessean! I have an 09 G37X Coupe and I do not notice any hesitation, although my previous car was a 4cyl VTEC accord, so the G is a significant improvement in performance over that....

Anyway, there are a few discussions here on the forum about the hesitation. One thing you may want to ask the dealer is if there are any updates for your ECU or transmission.

Another thing is that the G supposedly learns your driving characteristics and adjusts the ECU to your habits. If the PO of your car drove like a granny, then it will possibly behave like that until it learns how you drive.

David
Old 04-26-2013, 09:56 AM
lasher

Can you tell me what an uprev tune is?
Old 04-26-2013, 09:57 AM
lasher

Are you in Knoxville Yellow Jacket?
Old 04-26-2013, 09:58 AM
Black Betty
Lexus Defector

Received 2,087 Likes on 1,267 Posts
What octane gas are you using?
Old 04-26-2013, 10:05 AM
farmurr

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts
Originally Posted by YellowJacket
Anyway, there are a few discussions here on the forum about the hesitation. One thing you may want to ask the dealer is if there are any updates for your ECU or transmission.
^ This. I'm surprised that the dealership didn't mention this to you...
Old 04-26-2013, 11:11 AM
lasher

93 Oct gas
Old 04-26-2013, 12:43 PM
lasher

I just found this link. Apparently this is a big issue:

https://www.myg37.com/forums/g37-cou...ottle-lag.html
Old 04-26-2013, 01:25 PM
YellowJacket

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts
Originally Posted by lasher
Are you in Knoxville Yellow Jacket?
Yup, West Knoxville - Concord/Farragut area.

David
Old 04-26-2013, 01:44 PM
2008G-Man

Received 167 Likes on 139 Posts
Originally Posted by farmurr
^ This. I'm surprised that the dealership didn't mention this to you...
Now that I have stopped laughing ..... dealerships don't mention this kind of stuff, half the time you have to tell them and even then they deny it exists. You typically have to show a printed copy of the TSB or Update and insist they apply it.
Old 04-26-2013, 02:34 PM
farmurr

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts
Originally Posted by 2008G-Man
Now that I have stopped laughing ..... dealerships don't mention this kind of stuff, half the time you have to tell them and even then they deny it exists. You typically have to show a printed copy of the TSB or Update and insist they apply it.
Lol exactly . In January I printed out the TSB and took it in, and they tried to convince me that there was no update for the 5AT (mine is 7AT) and that I should just get used to the lag and the harsh downshifts. Ugh.
Old 02-20-2016, 06:10 PM
Jdav

Originally Posted by lasher
Hey guys. I have a 2008 G-37S. It is stock. I have had my local mechanic and Infinity dealership both inspect the car, and no error codes come up. Here is the problem: If you hit the gas in a normal every day manner, there is a half second of hesitation before the throttle kicks in. Has anyone else experienced this? If you nail the accelerator, it goes like a rocket, no issues, no hesitation. If you take off as if you are trying to save gas, you get the hesitation. My wife owns a FX-35 and it has linear acceleration, no hesitation.

On the flip side, while they were inspecting my car, they gave me a regular G-37 2010 model. It "seemed" like it had the same hesitation.

This has been going on since day 1. My mechanic has replaced the "knock" sensors trying to address the problem and I have run fuel injector cleaner through it several times. I am not a gear head and know little about the inner workings of the G-37s. I can change the oil and clean the K&N air filters, but that is about it.

Is it all in my head, a design in car, or does anyone have any idea what might be causing the hesitation?
I have the same car but a 2011. It does the same exact thing. I can be on the freeway and sometimes at 25 or 30 mph the car seems to cut off for a second or so.
Old 02-21-2016, 12:14 AM
kyle_350z

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I've got a 2008 coupe automatic, I had the dealer perform an ecu update and throttle body cleaning which did actually fix the rpm stumble after coming to a stop (like a traffic light or something) and it fixed the random idle rpm spike which caused the car so surge when coming to a stop.

However it didn't fix the responsiveness issues. I had a 350z (3 actually) and one was auto with the same jatco re5r05a transmission as a 2008 g37 just with different software, and it had the same responsiveness issues. I'm assuming it's just the nature of the beast, the 5at trans is a workhorse but pretty outdated in comparison to modern transmissions at the time.

As far as a TSB, the dealer wouldn't acknowledge my car having it, but the software update was $150 and I drove two hours to an actual Infiniti dealer instead of my usual Nissan dealer, so I said screw it and paid the $150. It has helped though with issues.
Old 02-21-2016, 03:36 AM
evil-G-nius
Registered Member

Received 396 Likes on 239 Posts
The one thing I noticed about this lag, cuz I have it too, is I think its linked to the traction control. I have been driving with my VDC off and it has been a little more responsive. It still stutters a little but nothing like when it was on. It could just be psychological and I am by no means saying this is 100% the problem, but it is a noticeable difference to me

Quick Reply: Hesitation