Engine, Drivetrain & Forced-Induction
Have Technical Questions or Done Modifications to the G37? Find out the answer in here!

SES Light Limp Mode Low Oil Pressure?

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-2013, 04:31 PM
911turbo
Registered Member

Received 42 Likes on 28 Posts
Exclamation SES Light Limp Mode Low Oil Pressure?

Hey Everyone,

My car went into LIMP mode a few days ago while i was driving and would not get past 2200 RPM, and also threw a SES code.

Brought it to autozone, but i forgot what the code was but he told me it was a LOW oil pressure code? ( I brought it to delta tire about 2 weeks before?)

I checked the oil and it was fine... My friends were saying that it could be from the wrong size of a oil filter put on by delta? but wouldnt it have came on almost immediately after the oil change?

- on a note, i dont believe i have ever seen them change my oil filter... could a clogged/ dirty filter cause this??

- DID the SES / ECU reset and it cleared the light, and now the light and limp mode is back on after 2 days of city driving, (not sure of how many miles)

Any help would be great!!

Last edited by 911turbo; 04-03-2013 at 04:49 PM.
Old 04-03-2013, 04:52 PM
TVPostSound
Registered Member

Received 115 Likes on 88 Posts
If its a low pressure light, and youre under warranty, you should let the dealer chack it out.
Old 04-03-2013, 04:55 PM
hechen507
Registered Member

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts
Either your engine is leaking oil or your sensor is bad. Most likely a bad sensor
Old 04-03-2013, 05:02 PM
911turbo
Registered Member

Originally Posted by TVPostSound
If its a low pressure light, and youre under warranty, you should let the dealer chack it out.
not a low pressure light. just a SES light

Originally Posted by hechen507
Either your engine is leaking oil or your sensor is bad. Most likely a bad sensor
my engine oil lvls were fine, hwo could i check the sensor?
Old 04-03-2013, 06:20 PM
sydnrusty
Registered Member

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
mine did the same thing a couple months ago. turned out to be the front timing cover. there are some gaskets attached to it and if they go bad they can block an oil gully and cause the computer to detect a low oil pressure situation and throw the car into limp mode (at least that's how it was explained to me by the dealership). they showed me the old cover with the bad gasket.
was covered under warranty.
someone on here told me it was a known "undocumented" issue.
Old 04-03-2013, 08:04 PM
TVPostSound
Registered Member

Received 115 Likes on 88 Posts
Originally Posted by 911turbo
not a low pressure light. just a SES light

my engine oil lvls were fine, hwo could i check the sensor?
But the code is a LOW OIL PRESSURE code!!!

I would suspect the timing cover too!!
I was told by an Infiniti tech that the timing covers have issues at high mileage, causing low oil pressure. An internal seal leak.

Take that issue seriously.
Old 04-03-2013, 09:09 PM
GTLAW
Banned

Received 35 Likes on 24 Posts
This is my question!! Why on earth are you being cheap and taking your Infiniti to **** box places to have them Botch your car you should be ashamed of yourself back away from the keys let someone else take care of your car!
Old 04-03-2013, 10:48 PM
911turbo
Registered Member

Originally Posted by TVPostSound
But the code is a LOW OIL PRESSURE code!!!

I would suspect the timing cover too!!
I was told by an Infiniti tech that the timing covers have issues at high mileage, causing low oil pressure. An internal seal leak.

Take that issue seriously.
Yeah ill probably have to make an appointment with infiniti, closest one is about an hour away...

Originally Posted by GTLAW
This is my question!! Why on earth are you being cheap and taking your Infiniti to **** box places to have them Botch your car you should be ashamed of yourself back away from the keys let someone else take care of your car!
if you dont have anything to contribute by all means bring your bishing somewhere else. lmao. smdh. i never knew not taking care of a care is bringing it to get a oil change when your busy?
Old 04-03-2013, 10:59 PM
Rad_Slinger

Received 81 Likes on 59 Posts
Originally Posted by GTLAW
This is my question!! Why on earth are you being cheap and taking your Infiniti to **** box places to have them Botch your car
Originally Posted by 911turbo
closest one is about an hour away...
i'm gonna go out on a limb here and say that this is your answer. no one wants to drive a questionably unstable car for a long distance to get it fixed. there's so many things that can go wrong.

here's what i might do.
call up infiniti and speak with a tech about your condition. tell them about the cel and what it is. make sure to let them know about the timing cover issues. ask them if it can be fixed at a local shop rather than bringing it in because of the distance. if they say yes, let your local mechanic know and see what they want to do. they may be able to fix it relatively easy.

i'm not so sure i would drive an hour with a low oil pressure cel lit up. just doesn't sound safe to me. could do more harm than it's worth.

i wouldn't wait to get this fixed though. low oil pressure is what destroys motors. i'm not talking about blowing the engine, i'm talking about wearing parts so that there's problems down the road.

good luck sir.
Old 01-26-2014, 12:13 PM
911turbo
Registered Member

Just an update guys. Warranty fixed the car after about 2 weeks into it. Something about the timing rear cover gasket or some crap like that. They swapped it out and I was good to go.