Engine, Drivetrain & Forced-Induction
Have Technical Questions or Done Modifications to the G37? Find out the answer in here!

Slipping Clutch question!

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-2013, 01:34 AM
Phimphasone

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Slipping Clutch question!

Hey everyone,

My clutch has been slipping lately, I'll be on the highway with speeds up to about 65MPH and when i accelerate to 75MPH it revs up a little high before it finally catches. It even does it on low speeds, which to me its obvious that I need a new clutch, however, here's my question.

Do I need to just replace my clutch or should I replace my fly wheel as well. Can I get by with just buying a clutch? I would like to keep this as cheap as possible. I will be installing the clutch myself. (it should be a pretty straight forward job, Ive done a ton of clutch jobs in my years)

Anyone with clutch experience please let me know what I should do, my car has a good 120,xxx miles on it. Its my daily driver and I commute about 60miles a day to my work and home.

Any kind of feed back would help,

Thanks

Johnny
Old 03-15-2013, 02:14 AM
Black Betty
Lexus Defector

Received 2,087 Likes on 1,267 Posts
You don't necessarily need to replace the flywheel unless it needs it. Probably doesn't. However you should probably replace the slave cylinder while the transmission is dropped to save yourself the heartache and frustration of having to drop the transmission again just a few miles down the road if it fails. They aren't particularly strong and a number of us have had to replace them with much lower mileage than you have. Mine died at 60K.
Old 03-18-2013, 04:07 PM
Phimphasone

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
hmm..

Alright well thanks for the help, I think I'm going to go and just change out the clutch and get a slave cylinder as well, because you do make a good point. I might as well change that out since I'll be under it.

Thanks for the help!
Old 03-18-2013, 05:48 PM
Nothin2Somethin

Received 23 Likes on 19 Posts
I agree with changing the slave as well, but I also think hey while the tranny is down you might as well change everything, just to save you the headache of having to go back in there. Get clutch disk, pressure plate, flywheel and call it a day.
Old 03-18-2013, 07:14 PM
Stay Frosty

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Any major problems in your 120k of ownership?
Old 03-18-2013, 08:43 PM
DPE G

Received 112 Likes on 73 Posts
If you are going aftermarket clutch I would go ahead and spend the extra on the flywheel since the OEM unit is a dual mass, which is heavy and can not be resurfaced. I just redid mine with a South Bend Clutch & Flywheel, ZSpeed CSC, and Motul Fluid, no complaints, a little tricky re-learning the engagement on this car, after having to adjust to the quirkiness of it to begin with, but much smoother now, and no more rattles when shutting it off with the clutch out.