Engine, Drivetrain & Forced-Induction
Have Technical Questions or Done Modifications to the G37? Find out the answer in here!

new tranny + clutch replaced under warranty

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-2013, 03:21 PM
socialconflicts

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
new tranny + clutch replaced under warranty

so im in my second transmission within a few months. the new ones seems fine little less noisy than the one before, some of th ticking issues i had dealer inspected and reported back to me.

clutch was still meaty (2mm left, they said .03mm is the min to get replaced.. or something like that)

service adviser said clutch isnt warrantied and if i wanted the ticking noise (clutch related issue. something to do with the internal spring) fixed then i should consider a new clutch since the clutch shield was the issue (and the shield + spring cannot be replaced since its one assembly clutch is part of it.)

he checked for me and called me and said the clutch shield/spring is a powertrain warranty item. so now i have a new clutch plus transmission on my car for free.

seems like this dealer went above and beyond what other dealers may go.
Old 02-28-2013, 06:43 PM
unknowndesi
Registered Member

Received 42 Likes on 15 Posts
Wow do you mind posting up that repair receipt... I had a faulty CSC and was told it was due to vibration from my stock clutch. Had to pay out of pocket for another clutch since the dealer told me the clutch was a wear and tear item. But the master and CSC were replaced under warranty. You're one lucky guy.
Old 02-28-2013, 07:10 PM
socialconflicts

I'll post up the details on it tonight since im not home.
Old 03-01-2013, 02:30 AM
socialconflicts

here ya go

Old 03-01-2013, 10:13 AM
SwissCheeseHead

Received 87 Likes on 65 Posts
15 bucks for gas in the loaner car and a free tranny. I'm down. Lucky you.
Old 03-01-2013, 04:07 PM
unknowndesi
Registered Member

Received 42 Likes on 15 Posts
wow... I guess there are some dealers out there who care... or is this guy an undercover dealer ahaahha... you're one lucky guy
Old 03-01-2013, 04:37 PM
socialconflicts

haha, the service guy was great, he told me he was going to look into it but assured me the part number he typed in was covered under powertrain and said it was funny cuz that part comes with the clutch itself. he did tell me when i paid the 15 bucks for the loaner fuel "this is the first time i ever warranty a clutch"

on a side note, there are still some small noises and sometimes when i come to a complete stop and im waiting on either a red light or stop light and i release the clutch i hear clattering, i wonder if its engine related? it doesnt do it all the time but it kinda bothers me the times that it does do it. remind me of a Volkswagen weedwacker engine. other than that, the gears shift so much better!
Old 03-01-2013, 05:32 PM
gtslo88

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
now make a write up on how to make our clutches tick so we can all get new transmissions
Old 03-01-2013, 07:00 PM
socialconflicts

if you hear noise coming from when you release the clutch, you have a chance to take it to the dealer, i know its a common issue and most dealers would replace it under warranty. they are paid to do the work so i wouldnt see why they wouldnt do it. worth a shot, as for me i did have issues coming from it and dealer also reported issues from the tranny itself. but yes
Old 03-01-2013, 09:38 PM
Tiny's-G37s

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by socialconflicts
if you hear noise coming from when you release the clutch, you have a chance to take it to the dealer, i know its a common issue and most dealers would replace it under warranty. they are paid to do the work so i wouldnt see why they wouldnt do it. worth a shot, as for me i did have issues coming from it and dealer also reported issues from the tranny itself. but yes
I had the same problem and the dealer replaced my tranny. They tried to get away with it at first by saying the noise was normal but after I told them that a 45k dollar car shouldn't have loud(Loud enough that I had to keep the clutch down when standing in traffic to keep people from looking at me) annoying noises coming from the tranny, they said they'll take a look at it and within 5 min told me they had a new tranny on order.
Old 03-02-2013, 11:40 AM
quakerroatmeal
Registered Member

Received 97 Likes on 79 Posts
Thumbs up for good dealerships. Looks like you need some new front tires
Old 03-02-2013, 02:00 PM
socialconflicts

haha i guess i do
Old 03-04-2013, 01:33 AM
TwoThree

Received 51 Likes on 41 Posts
I get some crazy chatter sound after a spirited drive, and I think it could possibly be my throw out bearing, but I'm not sure on that. I'll shut the car off, turn it on a minute later and the ridiculously loud chatter goes away. From what I've read briefly online is a faulty throwout bearing can cause a clutch to wear prematurely? If so I'm going to see if my dealer will take care of my clutch as well....
Old 03-04-2013, 05:09 AM
socialconflicts

Originally Posted by TwoThree
I get some crazy chatter sound after a spirited drive, and I think it could possibly be my throw out bearing, but I'm not sure on that. I'll shut the car off, turn it on a minute later and the ridiculously loud chatter goes away. From what I've read briefly online is a faulty throwout bearing can cause a clutch to wear prematurely? If so I'm going to see if my dealer will take care of my clutch as well....
I get similar sounds and now wondering if it could be my throwout bearing? But te clutch isnt replaced under warranty. The clutch spring / clutch shield both are. But idk i dont fet the clattering noise often. Like u said its only every once in a while
Old 03-04-2013, 12:28 PM
Glenn2008
Registered Member

Received 39 Likes on 34 Posts
I have a grinding problem going into 5th gear in the morning when it's cold, on a '08. I have an appointment tomorrow to get it checked out. The service tech believe's that it's the clutch. He said that if it's the tranny, it should be replaced under warranty. Have there been any changes in the G gearbox since 2008? I have a 2003 AP1 Honda S2000 and they changed the syncros from brass to carbon fiber in the AP2's. I had a 2009 G/B installed in mine and what a difference in shifting. It always shifted fairly smooth, but with the later G/B I can drop it into any gear, w/o any grinding.

Quick Reply: new tranny + clutch replaced under warranty