Engine, Drivetrain & Forced-Induction
Have Technical Questions or Done Modifications to the G37? Find out the answer in here!

new tranny + clutch replaced under warranty

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-2013, 05:15 PM
JSolo
Just say no!!!!!

Received 590 Likes on 494 Posts
I'd be ok with them voiding the clutch. They can't void the tranny because of an aftermarket clutch.
Old 03-12-2013, 02:38 PM
Glenn2008
Registered Member

Received 39 Likes on 34 Posts
The dealership received the new tranny, but they called and told me that some seals and tubes were not supplied. They had to order them, supposely they will receive them tomorrow and complete the installation. Does anyone have a clue what "seals/tubes" are talking about?
Old 03-13-2013, 07:30 PM
TakmaN
Registered Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Holy cow, my car has the same symptons as most of the posts in this thread and I thought it was normal. I took it to one dealer and they said everything seemed fine even though I clearly have shuddering issues in 1st and an occassional ridiculously loud throwout bearing type noise (only happened on two occassions since I've bought my car last October). I still have a noise that disappears when pushing in the clutch pedal but from my vast searching, is common and normal.

Glad to see everyone here taken care of. I might have to try out another dealer and see what they say. I do have the RJM pedal installed and hope that won't void the powertrain warranty.
Old 03-13-2013, 09:04 PM
Doubleminded

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts
Ok from what ive read I have a couple questions, 1st just to get a better understanding, when you all talk about a grind or shudder when shifting gears do you mean that when shifting into gear you get a noise and feeling thats almost like missing a shift? Im trying to figure out if when I shift into second what I feel is normal, its sometimes almost a clunky type feeling. If i shift slow than it never happens. 2nd are these transmission problems on the 08's or are any newer G's having these transmission problems?
Old 03-14-2013, 10:23 AM
Glenn2008
Registered Member

In my case, the "gear grind" was only when I was going into 5th gear when cold. When the oil warmed up, no problem. As far as only '08 transmission affected, I don't believe so. I checked out the transmission part number and it has been the same for the 6mt since 2008 to present. Apparently, Infiniti don't believe that the have a tranny problem, or the cost of replacement on such a limited number of cars don't justify any reengineering.

Transmission part number: 32010JK41A

Last edited by Glenn2008; 03-14-2013 at 11:15 AM.
Old 03-15-2013, 06:57 PM
TakmaN
Registered Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Doubleminded
Ok from what ive read I have a couple questions, 1st just to get a better understanding, when you all talk about a grind or shudder when shifting gears do you mean that when shifting into gear you get a noise and feeling thats almost like missing a shift? Im trying to figure out if when I shift into second what I feel is normal, its sometimes almost a clunky type feeling. If i shift slow than it never happens. 2nd are these transmission problems on the 08's or are any newer G's having these transmission problems?
I have the same issue in 2nd. Sometimes its smooth, sometimes its really notchy and clunky. But going into 2nd is definitely the most audible (at least from the outside). Last time I shifted into second with my brother sort of nearby he told me, "wow I could hear you shifting from way over here."
Old 03-16-2013, 11:29 AM
Glenn2008
Registered Member

Originally Posted by TakmaN
I have the same issue in 2nd. Sometimes its smooth, sometimes its really notchy and clunky. But going into 2nd is definitely the most audible (at least from the outside). Last time I shifted into second with my brother sort of nearby he told me, "wow I could hear you shifting from way over here."

Sounds like if you have <70K miles, you will also get a free new tranny.
Old 03-16-2013, 12:16 PM
myk1013

Received 19 Likes on 19 Posts
Originally Posted by Glenn2008
Sounds like if you have <70K miles, you will also get a free new tranny.
Originally Posted by TakmaN

Man, I have the same problem with my 2008 and with only 39,XXX miles....I've been telling my service advisor the same thing since last year and nothing's being done. Can anyone suggest how a can go about getting this taken care of? I think my powertrain warranty is up in a few months.
Old 03-16-2013, 01:18 PM
Glenn2008
Registered Member

Originally Posted by myk1013
Man, I have the same problem with my 2008 and with only 39,XXX miles....I've been telling my service advisor the same thing since last year and nothing's being done. Can anyone suggest how a can go about getting this taken care of? I think my powertrain warranty is up in a few months.

Since my car only had the gear grind when it was cold, I left the car with them overnight, so they could experience the noise first hand. I had to pay $60.00 for them to check it out, which was credited to my account, once they found it was a tranny problem. The new tranny has been installed, but they are awaiting a "clutch hose" to arrive before they return the car. Should have the car back Monday.
Old 03-16-2013, 01:33 PM
socialconflicts

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
Originally Posted by myk1013
Get an infiniti master tech to ride with you and ask him to drive it so they get what you mean. I also told them of multiple noises. Make up something too if thats what it takes. Sometimes they just try to say its normal i know my noises were not.
Old 03-27-2013, 05:58 PM
Glenn2008
Registered Member

Finally got my car back today. It took 3 weeks, but it's done. The bad news, is that about an hour before the dealership called me to let me know that my car was done, I came in contact with a bolt in the road that penetrated the fuel tank on the G25 that they had loaned me. Just received word from them that the cost for replacement is $1200.00. WOW! I guess I have to look on the bright side, I do have a new transmission in my car under factory warranty.
Old 03-27-2013, 06:32 PM
socialconflicts

Wow that blows. For me i still have a gear grind at times going into second gear. And im still getting a ticking noise when clutch is completely pressed in and while in neutral at time. Ima make a video and start a new thread regarding this issue. Maybe someone knows what it could be

Typed from my iphone. Srry for errors
Old 04-23-2013, 09:22 PM
Kamerem

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Is this what you guys are talking about??

Let me know so I can decide whether it is worth it for me to take my car in to the dealer. Thanks guys!!
Old 04-23-2013, 09:48 PM
DeepHouseGuy

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Yup same with me too guys, going from 1st to 2nd I have the clunky sound also sounds like megatron transforming. Sometimes I get a smooth shift but most the time you hear all the mechanics and clunkyness! 09, 48k miles

Also do any of you guys have jolting while riding in first gear. My car jumps ahead when all,the time when I'm coasting in first. It does it too in 2nd gear

Last edited by DeepHouseGuy; 04-23-2013 at 10:14 PM.
Old 06-24-2013, 04:58 PM
socialconflicts

Bumping this thread with updates. So after getting my car back and driving a few thousand miles i still have issues. The issue is a pre-existing issue with the clutch pedal feel. As i had mentioned before (i think) i was getting noise from my clutch pedal and the same noise was noticeable when pulling out. Had dealer take a look at it and they are going to replace the flywheel as they think this could be the issue. If not it seems they will be replacing part by part. Glad its a CPO! I hope replacing the flywheel fixes the issue.

Quick Reply: new tranny + clutch replaced under warranty