Engine, Drivetrain & Forced-Induction
Have Technical Questions or Done Modifications to the G37? Find out the answer in here!

new tranny + clutch replaced under warranty

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-2013, 10:14 AM
Glenn2008
Registered Member

Received 39 Likes on 34 Posts
Just received a phone call from the Infiniti dealer. He confirmed the 5th gear grind and Infiniti will install a new tranny under warranty. I just purchased the car a little over a month ago with 68K miles. I had 140 miles remaining on the powertrain warranty. I feel like I hit the jackpot. If it weren't for this site and the complaint's, other's with the same problem, I would never have considered that Infiniti would change out the gearbox. The issue was somewhat minor, it only did it when it was cold and after it warmed up, I couldn't duplicate the problem. Thanks guys!
Old 03-06-2013, 10:47 AM
myk1013

Received 19 Likes on 19 Posts
taking my car to the dealer for service tomorrow. Been having noise and occasional grinding issues coming when going on 1st gear from a dead stop (seems like clutch having difficulty catching gears), it doesnt happen all the time but enough to be annoying. My master cylinder was replaced last October out of pocket. Hopefully, they will change my tranny before my powertrain warranty expires in a couple of months.
Old 03-06-2013, 11:37 AM
JSolo
Just say no!!!!!

Received 590 Likes on 494 Posts
^^MC not covered under powertrain?
Old 03-06-2013, 12:43 PM
myk1013

^

nope, they said it was wear and tear part.....

BUT if the tranny was to be replaced under warranty, it would come with a new CSC. Not too sure about the MC though.
Old 03-06-2013, 12:54 PM
socialconflicts

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
Sorry for my noobness but what would the master cylinder do? Im assuming thats what mc means
Old 03-06-2013, 01:01 PM
myk1013

^^

Clutch Master Cylinder Problems | eHow.com
Old 03-06-2013, 02:17 PM
JSolo
Just say no!!!!!

Whoa... I really need to sit down and carefully read what the powertrain warranty actually covers. From previous posts on here and 370z it seems the CSC is considered a non powertrain warranty item. Still baffled why; it's not a wear item and there's no maintenance for it, and it is part of the transmission. That's like saying some solenoid in the 7at is not covered, but the gears are. Sounds alot like kia's 100K powertrain warranty (which has a number of stipulations). I guess they're putting the MC in the same boat as the CSC.

The MC provides a means of transferring mechanical action to the slave cylinder by way of fluid coupling. In layman's terms, if the MC (or slave) fails, you have no clutch
Old 03-09-2013, 12:52 PM
myk1013

^

so what did your warranty say?

Our MC's are junk! My friends' 370Z MC gave out too. Less than 20K miles.
Old 03-09-2013, 01:03 PM
JSolo
Just say no!!!!!

Must love the lawyers that came up with this. Powertrain seems more geared toward engine/trans/diff internals than anything else. And while the clutch system is part of the MT, it's not a direct part. It's not inside the trans itself. Sounds like they do cover failure of the pressure plate though. What is defined by a clutch housing? The bell housing?? Interesting to note, for the AT, they do cover the torque converter, even though that too is NOT an integral part of the transmission itself.

Conclusion, they know what parts are likely to fail, and those of course are NOT covered.

Powertrain coverage includes components listed below, under the headings Engine, Transmission and Transaxle, Drivetrain, andRestraintSystem, supplied
by NISSAN, subject to theexclusions listedunder the heading “WHAT IS NOT COVERED.”
ENGINE - Cylinder heads and block and all internal parts, rocker covers andoil pan, valve train and front cover, timing chain and tensioner, oil pump, water pump and fuel pump, fuel injectors, intake and exhaust manifolds, flywheel, seals and gaskets.

TRANSMISSION AND TRANSAXLE - Case and all internal parts, torque converter and converter
housing, automatic transmission control module, transfer case and all internal parts, seals and gaskets, clutch cover and housing, A/T cooler, and electronic transmission controls.

DRIVETRAIN - Drive shafts, final drive housing and all internal parts, propeller shafts, universal joints, bearings, seals and gaskets.

WHAT IS NOT COVERED
GENERAL EXCLUSIONS
This warranty does not cover damage, failures or corrosion resulting from or caused by:
● Failure to operate the vehicle in accordance with the OWNER’SMANUAL
● Misuse, such as using the vehicle to tow
Failure of a component not covered by warranty
Old 03-09-2013, 01:13 PM
myk1013

^

thanks for ther info....

I've hated our clutch from the beginning. Never had these problems with Honda's.
Old 03-09-2013, 03:30 PM
Glenn2008
Registered Member

^JSOLO are you certain that the PP is covered? Since the cluitch and PP are sold together, I should get both with the tranny replacement. I will definately have the MC changed since the tranny has to be removed to get to it. The dealership said that they would match any prices for oem parts that I can find on the internet. I have printed off 3 separate sources of Infiniti parts Infinitipartscenter.net, Orderinfinitiparts.com, and Infinitipartsonline. Since my powertrain warranty is up in 140 miles, I expect that the new tranny that they install only has to stay together for the remaining 140 miles, after that, it'll be my dime.
Old 03-09-2013, 03:49 PM
JSolo
Just say no!!!!!

Glenn, according to the terms of their warranty it is. What I quoted above is directly from the warranty booklet/pdf. While I agree, if the pressure plate gets replaced, so should the clutch disk, and assorted other components that go with it (including a new CSC). However, all o this is open to final interpretation by nissan/infiniti.

The tranny does not get pulled for a MC replacement, only for the CSC (slave). If I was getting free clutch labor, I'd go with aftermarket, not the nissan garbage they install in the g37/370z. BB has a nice write up on his stage 1 southbend clutch and associated parts.

Not sure what the warranty is on the new trans, but as an example, my folks extended warranty is about to run out on their car in aug '13. Recently had a intake gasket repair done under warranty. The repair is warrantied for 12month/12K miles from date of repair. This was through GMPP (gm's extended warranty arm). While I expect nissan to be the same, ymmv. Ask your service adviser how long the new trans is warrantied for.
Old 03-09-2013, 04:07 PM
Glenn2008
Registered Member

^Thanks! I wonder if Infiniti will install an after market clutch for me. I'll check BB's write up.
Old 03-09-2013, 04:33 PM
socialconflicts

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
Originally Posted by Glenn2008
^Thanks! I wonder if Infiniti will install an after market clutch for me. I'll check BB's write up.
i think they might, but im sure they would try to void any future tranny problems.. what im assuming... lol.
Old 03-09-2013, 05:14 PM
Glenn2008
Registered Member

^Good point! Also, the tranny may be in on Monday, so there isn't time to order any aftermarket parts, unless Infiniti has to order additional parts to finish the car.

Quick Reply: new tranny + clutch replaced under warranty