Engine, Drivetrain & Forced-Induction
Have Technical Questions or Done Modifications to the G37? Find out the answer in here!

Help Trans won't engage into Sport mode (5 AT)

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-2013, 05:47 PM
brainpa

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Trans won't engage into Sport mode (5 AT)

So for about 6 weeks, when I shift into S mode in my 08 G37s Coupe w 58 K miles, nothing happens. Occasionally I get the "DS" icon on the dash for a second, but then it drops right back into normal mode, even with the shift lever actually IN the sport location.

When it first started, it would stay in the mode and hold the gear I selected, but then suddenly it went out. THAT was very disconcerting, I can tell you!

No CEL on. No other driveablity issues. I've searched the TSB's for this, and I didn't see anything.

Anyone have any ideas before I take it to dealer?

Thanks

John
Old 02-09-2013, 07:58 PM
mj_39

Received 42 Likes on 26 Posts
I think we are having very similar problems, I did find this thread https://www.myg37.com/forums/engine-...y-problem.html

waiting on a update
Old 02-09-2013, 08:44 PM
cruzmisl

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
There have been other threads about this that were more recent. I believe they generally replace the entire module with the lever when the sensor goes bad.
Old 02-09-2013, 09:30 PM
mj_39

Thanks, found a couple more threads on it... Wonder if the whole assembly has to be changed or just the sensor can be replaced since we are no longer covered under warranty
Old 02-10-2013, 08:22 AM
brainpa

MJ, thanks. I would think that this WOULD be covered under warranty.

Appreciate the help guys!
Old 02-12-2013, 02:13 PM
mj_39

Originally Posted by brainpa
MJ, thanks. I would think that this WOULD be covered under warranty.

Appreciate the help guys!
Just wanted to let you know they did cover mine under powertrain although they were slightly hesitant at first. I think this is going to be a dealer to dealer thing, seems to be a grey area. Thankful that our local dealer has a really nice service adviser who understood that logically a shifter assembly should be part of the powertrain warranty.
Old 03-26-2013, 06:57 PM
brainpa

Update.

Just got it back from Infiniti. $658. Part and labor.

They also did a bunch of little stuff that need to be fixed on it - iPod adapter (TSB), window washer fluid adapter replacement, and did a valve swap on the tranny secondary to codes the computer threw, which I thought interesting as I have yet to see a CEL pop up.

I told them I thought I knew what the issue was with the shifter - I actually printed up these forum posts and gave it to them...the advisor called me first and said they were doing the valve body swap initially. I even said....ahhh..that makes no sense, as it shifts totally fine in auto....but whatever. They then called back and said it was a shifter sensor issue. (Duh).

So in the end, I had to pay for the part that I knew was bad, and got in essence a new tranny fluid change under warranty, as I was due.

And the P.S. is that the problem is now fixed.

Don't ask me how the car looked after I spent 18 hours on a paint restoration the weekend before I dropped it off, however....it's going back early am to have them address the problem...looks like they left it outside exposed to our wonderful Florida (read:sulfur water) sprinklers.