Engine, Drivetrain & Forced-Induction
Have Technical Questions or Done Modifications to the G37? Find out the answer in here!

2009 G37S Coupe - Clutch Slave Cylinder issue

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-2013, 11:52 AM
kkkkken

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
2009 G37S Coupe - Clutch Slave Cylinder issue

Long story short - my clutch pedal "Fell and couldn't get up" (pushed the pedal down to shift into 1st - and it stayed on the floor) on my way home from the office last night. It happened as I was about to enter the on ramp of Hwy 403 and I was able to get over to the right before being rear ended. Nice.....

Had the car towed to Woodchester Infiniti in Mississauga - and had a chance to talk to the mechanics, without the service guy present. Told the guys what the situation was - and in stereo - both of the mechanics said - Slave Cylinder. They claim its very common, and they stock replacements for just my situation.

Trans has to come out - should have it done by end of day today - I told them I'll come back in the am tomorrow.

I asked to see the defective parts.

My car has 59,600 kms on it. (about 35,000 miles). I can't imagine I'd need to do anything with the clutch at this low mileage - but does anyone have suggestions as to what else I should be considering while the trans is out?

Warranty is covering everything.

Will I get some sort of extended warranty for the newly replaced Slave Cylinder?

This forum helped me out last night as I searched for other similar situations - thanks to those that have shared the same stuff!

Last edited by kkkkken; 01-30-2013 at 12:00 PM.
Old 01-30-2013, 01:29 PM
JSolo
Just say no!!!!!

Received 590 Likes on 494 Posts
If you're planning on keeping the car a long time, and about to run out of warranty (4 yr, not power train), see if the dealership will let you install your own part, while covering the labor. If so, I'd go with the heavy duty CSC from zspeed. It's a direct bolt on. Do realize that there would be no warranty on the labor with your own part, and obviously no warranty on the part itself.

The power train warranty does not cover the CSC for some reason. Makes no sense. It's not a wear item (well with nissan it is). The infiniti extended warranty does cover this.

Normally, iirc, parts are covered for the remainder of the new car warranty, or 90 days. I'm 100% sure of the first part, not entirely of the 90 days. Check with your dealer on that.

It's too bad these parts fail so early. I bet few if any US dealerships actually stock them too. MT's must be more popular up north.

Last edited by JSolo; 01-30-2013 at 01:37 PM.
Old 01-30-2013, 03:25 PM
kkkkken

Originally Posted by Jsolo
If you're planning on keeping the car a long time, and about to run out of warranty (4 yr, not power train), see if the dealership will let you install your own part, while covering the labor. If so, I'd go with the heavy duty CSC from zspeed. It's a direct bolt on. Do realize that there would be no warranty on the labor with your own part, and obviously no warranty on the part itself.

The power train warranty does not cover the CSC for some reason. Makes no sense. It's not a wear item (well with nissan it is). The infiniti extended warranty does cover this.

Normally, iirc, parts are covered for the remainder of the new car warranty, or 90 days. I'm 100% sure of the first part, not entirely of the 90 days. Check with your dealer on that.

It's too bad these parts fail so early. I bet few if any US dealerships actually stock them too. MT's must be more popular up north.
Thanks for the idea of the heavy duty Csc - but I would have had to actually plan ahead and bring it in - so that it could be installed. I had considered trying to find upgraded Aftermarket parts like you suggested - but time and circumstance didn't permit - as I type this, I've just been told they are almost DONE putting it back together. I doubt they'd have waited for me to get aftermarket parts to have installed. If I ever do a clutch, and I plan it - your idea will go into play.
Old 01-30-2013, 06:37 PM
Glenn2008
Registered Member

Received 39 Likes on 34 Posts
^I truly appreciate you bringing this topic up. After I read your post, I checked my slave cylinder reservoir and found it to be low and dirty. I went back to Infiniti and they flushed and filled the slave cylinder. I also had them change out the G/B and rear end oil. I'm now good to go.
Old 01-31-2013, 08:59 AM
sydnrusty
Registered Member

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
re: "I checked my slave cylinder reservoir"

where can i find that? just under the hood?
Old 01-31-2013, 10:22 AM
kristoreie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I also had them change out the G/B and rear end oil. I'm now good to go.
Old 01-31-2013, 01:33 PM
kkkkken

My car is back in my possession - I saw the old CSC and the boot on it looked like the culprit of the leak. Mechanic told me that of the ones he's done - he has yet to see one come back in for the same issue. He may not know however - if the owners sold the cars or went elsewhere - but his feeling was that Infiniti improved the part quality (or their vendor did).
Clutch feels fine again.
Old 01-31-2013, 01:48 PM
unknowndesi
Registered Member

Received 42 Likes on 15 Posts
You wont necessarily get extended warranty on your whole car, however the CSC they installed along with the work has a separate warranty of 1 year and 25,000 km.
Old 01-31-2013, 02:34 PM
Black Betty
Lexus Defector

Received 2,087 Likes on 1,267 Posts
Originally Posted by sydnrusty
re: "I checked my slave cylinder reservoir"

where can i find that? just under the hood?
Under the hood, on the firewall, driver side, right beside the brake master cylinder. The clutch master cylinder is the smaller one.
Old 01-31-2013, 02:36 PM
Sython

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I'm checking mine this weekend. That would SUCK if this happened!

Thanks for bringing this to light OP.

Quick Question: Is our slave cylinder / brake system pretty easy to bleed and flush? I have some Motul laying around I'd like to put in.