Engine, Drivetrain & Forced-Induction
Have Technical Questions or Done Modifications to the G37? Find out the answer in here!

I hate the rev matching when downshifting!

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-2013, 08:38 AM
rpm&my_G35
Registered Member

Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts
Originally Posted by Rochester
I live in NY with a 6MT Sedan. When it snows, I'm reminded that I've got snow tires.

Haha, yep.
+1
Yes, snow tires...for cold and snowy climates. Who knew?
Old 01-29-2013, 09:40 AM
daonlyillwiz

Received 30 Likes on 19 Posts
Not that much snow in ny this year
Old 01-29-2013, 09:48 AM
rpm&my_G35
Registered Member

Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts
Originally Posted by daonlyillwiz
Not that much snow in ny this year
True - same here in S. Ont.
Winter tires aren't just for the snow. They remain pliable, providing maximum traction in cold weather, while at the same time an A/S or summer tire starts to harden like a hockey puck.
Old 01-29-2013, 10:25 AM
daonlyillwiz

yep thats because they dont have a steel sidewall like regular summer tires have providing for a softer sidewall aka more flexibility aka more traction when cold/hot.

When i had my evo (before i bought slicks) i would throw my snow tires on when i went to the track for the added traction.

I stand by bridgestone Blizzaks...unfortunately i havent had a reason to put them on this winter since its been fairly mild in NYC, just last week our temps were below freezing but for the majority of the winter we've been above 34*..
Old 01-29-2013, 10:25 AM
daonlyillwiz

Global warming at its best
Old 01-29-2013, 11:41 AM
WannabeSport

Received 43 Likes on 33 Posts
Don, I don't understand your point. We had an 04 G35x, and the manumatic in that car was a POS compared to the ones in the newer G35s. You downshift and the whole thing just shakes and the car just goes BUAHHHHHHH as it's coming down in revs. With the rev matching, it is smooth, fast and you are ready to get back on the throttle immediately.

Your point makes absolutely no sense. Theres a reason your alone on this. It is like someone coming in here and bitching about how their wheels should be square and not round.

Last edited by WannabeSport; 01-29-2013 at 01:21 PM.
Old 01-29-2013, 12:24 PM
speedracer g37
Registered Member

Received 27 Likes on 18 Posts
Please answer the question asked above. How do you rev match an automatic yourself? I would like to hear an answer as well since it doesn't make any sense.
Old 01-29-2013, 01:19 PM
gizmo134

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Jsolo
On the newer cars, by clicking on the paddle, all you're doing is putting in a request to the computer that you'd like (appreciate, welcome) the trans to downshift.
The thought of the computer weighing whether or not if I deserve a downshift, and if it felt like it, definitely made my day better. haha

Originally Posted by speedracer g37
Please answer the question asked above. How do you rev match an automatic yourself? I would like to hear an answer as well since it doesn't make any sense.
I started driving on a '98 Infiniti i30. Regular automatic, but I did drive it unconventionally, aka downshifting. Basically what I did (at first) was stick it into a lower gear, and let the tranny make up for the speed difference. It didn't like that, and until it was flooded out by Sandy, it had a bit of a transmission slip from 2>3 cause of it. After driving my G with the DRM, when I was in the i30 I started doing it too. There were two ways of me doing it, either anticipating really early and flooring it to get it to downshift on its own then locking it in that gear with the shifter, or simultaneously while pulling the shifter into the lower gear, I gave it a throttle blip which helped the engine spin up before the tranny locked so that it was closer in RPM. I had a pretty good system, it was a 4 speed so one and two were positions on the shifter, if i turned off OD it would go into 3rd, then normal mode was 4th.

Granted, this was a cable throttle car. On the G, its not too noticeable but I know that it cuts the throttle when shifting either way. On upshifts, you can kind of hear it get off the power and then get back on it (mainly at lower throttle positions), and downshifts it takes over the throttle to DRM then gives you control back once the shift is completed. OP might not like it as much, but theres no doubt that it saves your transmission a tremendous amount of stress.
Old 01-29-2013, 01:24 PM
crazjayz
Registered Member

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts
Though I don't agree with the OP, I will say that you can rev match an automatic. I have rev matched in a 2000 Honda Accord and a 2005 Honda Accord. Pretty much, you get used to the timing of the gear changes, that in between the shifts of the gear sets, you can blip the throttle. When I did it, about 90% of the the times I tried, I would miss, but the other 10% it felt like a true rev match, which did feel different than not doing anything.

What I don't get is why the OP doesn't like the downshift rev matching. There's no reason NOT to like it. Furthermore, I skimmed that people were saying you don't rev match if you want to engine brake, but without bringing the revs up before downshifting, how do you use the engine to slow down? You're using the decreasing rotational momentum of the engine to slow the car down.
Old 01-29-2013, 01:50 PM
2012G37
Registered Member

Received 16 Likes on 10 Posts
My opinion may not matter, I test drive my V, messed around with the paddle shifters, and enjoyed it. Felt better than the 09 max shifters. You test drove yours, liked it and purchased it. Now you found an issue. You plan on continuing to drive it or trade?
Old 01-29-2013, 02:13 PM
JSolo
Just say no!!!!!

Received 590 Likes on 494 Posts
Originally Posted by gizmo134
The thought of the computer weighing whether or not if I deserve a downshift, and if it felt like it, definitely made my day better. haha
Cheers!

If you think about it, with all the sensors and electronic controls, about the only thing that was still entirely up to the driver was the steering and braking. On the new Q models, they've implemented some sort of steer by wire (with a mechanical fail safe). One step closer to self driving cars.
Old 01-29-2013, 05:51 PM
Tazicon

Received 24 Likes on 23 Posts
Originally Posted by DonVonG
I liked tiptronic without rev matching. The 03 g35 coupe i have driven did not have rev matching, and i liked the feel of that more. I guess it is something i will just have to get used to. I am really surprised that no1 agrees that they dislike the rev matching. IMO sometimes less is more, but hey to each his own!

I love the rev matching, even more so in the Z but I love it in both cars. I really don't understand your comments as I think it gives you even more control than an auto with out it. It definately took me a while to learn to use but once I did I think it gives you an amazing amount of control.
Old 01-29-2013, 06:30 PM
DonVonG

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by WannabeSport
Don, I don't understand your point. We had an 04 G35x, and the manumatic in that car was a POS compared to the ones in the newer G35s. You downshift and the whole thing just shakes and the car just goes BUAHHHHHHH as it's coming down in revs. With the rev matching, it is smooth, fast and you are ready to get back on the throttle immediately.

Your point makes absolutely no sense. Theres a reason your alone on this. It is like someone coming in here and bitching about how their wheels should be square and not round.
tires square not round? are you really comparing that to a feature which is NOT a necessity? Tiptronic transmissions have been around alot longer than automatic rev matching. It is a FEATURE not a REQUIREMENT.

When i am downshifting to slow the car down i wouldnt rev match. I would downshift and let the resistance of the engine slow the car down. I would not give the engine fuel to increase the RPMs to decelerate. When i drove a manual i would not rev match if i was downshifting in order to slow down.

Originally Posted by crazjayz
Though I don't agree with the OP, I will say that you can rev match an automatic. I have rev matched in a 2000 Honda Accord and a 2005 Honda Accord. Pretty much, you get used to the timing of the gear changes, that in between the shifts of the gear sets, you can blip the throttle. When I did it, about 90% of the the times I tried, I would miss, but the other 10% it felt like a true rev match, which did feel different than not doing anything.

What I don't get is why the OP doesn't like the downshift rev matching. There's no reason NOT to like it. Furthermore, I skimmed that people were saying you don't rev match if you want to engine brake, but without bringing the revs up before downshifting, how do you use the engine to slow down? You're using the decreasing rotational momentum of the engine to slow the car down.
When engine braking you are using the friction of the engine to slow down. The engine RPMs slow after a rev because of the internal resistance. I may have read your last paragraph wrong, but in my eyes i would not give the engine fuel to spin faster if my goal was to slow down.

Originally Posted by Tazicon
I love the rev matching, even more so in the Z but I love it in both cars. I really don't understand your comments as I think it gives you even more control than an auto with out it. It definately took me a while to learn to use but once I did I think it gives you an amazing amount of control.
Just like it took you a while to "learn to use it" i have mentioned multiple times "I just have to get used to it i guess" I am coming from driving a manual car without features like rev matching. I guess with time when i learn to use it i might begin to love it as much as you do.
Old 01-29-2013, 10:58 PM
WannabeSport

Received 43 Likes on 33 Posts
Originally Posted by DonVonG
tires square not round? are you really comparing that to a feature which is NOT a necessity? Tiptronic transmissions have been around alot longer than automatic rev matching. It is a FEATURE not a REQUIREMENT.

When i am downshifting to slow the car down i wouldnt rev match. I would downshift and let the resistance of the engine slow the car down. I would not give the engine fuel to increase the RPMs to decelerate. When i drove a manual i would not rev match if i was downshifting in order to slow down.

When engine braking you are using the friction of the engine to slow down. The engine RPMs slow after a rev because of the internal resistance. I may have read your last paragraph wrong, but in my eyes i would not give the engine fuel to spin faster if my goal was to slow down.

Just like it took you a while to "learn to use it" i have mentioned multiple times "I just have to get used to it i guess" I am coming from driving a manual car without features like rev matching. I guess with time when i learn to use it i might begin to love it as much as you do.
A circle wheel isn't a REQUIREMENT either. You could technically drive on square wheels DOOD.

Rev Matching is also designed to SAVE the transmission from excess wear and tear you newb. Any 03-04 G i'v driven with over 100k, clunks in manual mode. The 05-06s with the updated transmission that include DSRM don't do this.

How on earth you think the tiptronic modes that engine brake and aren't smooth is better than a quick downshift is beyond me. I think you need to reevaluate what is ACTUALLY better because I don't know a SINGLE SPORT oriented car that dumps a gear without matching the revs first. Seriously. Any BMW, Audi, etc, is going to rev match. So your 'expectations' are completely ridiculous.
Old 01-29-2013, 11:59 PM
JSolo
Just say no!!!!!

Received 590 Likes on 494 Posts
Don, seems to me brakes a lot cheaper to replace than piston rings. You use brakes to slow down, engine to accelerate. Be in the right gear for a given speed at most [all] times. The latter isn't really applicable to an auto as it is in the right gear most of the time on its own.

If you downshift without rev matching a manual, you can't quickly let the clutch out. I suppose you can, but not without harsh drive line shock. Since you're now slowly easing the clutch out while the engine rpms catch up, clutch wear is greatly accelerated. I can understand using some engine compression at this point to slow/adjust your speed.

I really don't understand your driving style. Why not use each system for its intended purpose....