Engine, Drivetrain & Forced-Induction
Have Technical Questions or Done Modifications to the G37? Find out the answer in here!

6MT Tranny Issues.......THIS IS NOT NORMAL!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-2013, 09:54 PM
yardie_g37_6mt

Received 28 Likes on 16 Posts
6MT Tranny Issues.......THIS IS NOT NORMAL!!!!

I've owned my 6MT for six months (32k miles at purchase)....the same amount of time I've been on this forum. I've spent hours after hours reading about the harsh shift between 1st and 2nd (and even other gears) along with with the tapping noise when at idle with the clutch pedal disengaged...both of which I am experincing. After reading all these treads some dating back to '08, some owners have been convinced by the (all trustworthy) dealer(s) or have convinced themselves that these issues are "NORMAL". Which then makes you wonder why would ANY dealer replace ANY components for ANY owner if this was NORMAL?
Considering the orginal cost of this car and how we each paid whether new or not...if any owner stand by and let a dealer convice you that this is normal......well.........
I visited the dealer #1, as expected told me it was NORMAL, they changed by tranny oil with an additive and sent me on my way.....probably laughing at me as I pulled away. Two weeks later visited dealer #2, this time with documentation from the forums and internet. Two techs drove the car.....1st tech....conclusion was "Hmmmmmmmm???" 2nd tech.....oh your car is lowered.....did you happen to make any transmission mods.....wtf....really....nevertheless 2nd tech concludes its NORMAL because he's been driving sticks for 18 years. Needless to say I have a very lengthly conversation with service rep and service manager. Fortunately for me an Infiniti Field Tech was due on site the following Monday (this was occuring on a Saturday) for other issues. Service Manager agreed to keep car and let IFT drive the car. IFT's conclusion.......this is NOT NORMAL....even noted that going from 2nd to 1st was an issue. New tranny from Infiniti to be ordered and installed this week. So...I say this...if you're a newbie...or if your beloved G is under warranty...do not accept these issues to be NORMAL. Visit as many dealers as possible and become a pain in the azz for Infiniti and its comsumer affair if necessary until your G gets justice.......or you could just live with it.....

I will definately provide an update once I pick up my car after the new tranny.
Old 01-16-2013, 04:21 PM
yardie_g37_6mt

Received 28 Likes on 16 Posts
Picked up my G from the dealer yesterday. I got a new tranny plus they replace some misc exhaust items ...probably from dropping the tranny. Over $3k in warranty work. The notchy/rough shift from 1st to 2nd is all but gone even with the first couple of shifts this morning. Shifting thru all gears is velvety smooth. I also no longer hear the tapping noise at idle from the gear box....at least for now I don't. I'll of course baby the tranny until its broken it....but so far I am pleased. As soon as I can I'll post the notes from the work order............................DOMO
Old 01-19-2013, 03:46 PM
AlexRaymond

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Interesting! I have this issue with my Z, only its shifting into 5 that is hard... But i get that annoying ticking noise when at idle in neutral and the clutch let out. But when i put the clutch in it goes away. Did yours do that too? Let me know, i would be down for a new tranny :-)
Old 01-21-2013, 11:58 PM
Varjo

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Hmm, I hadn't heard about this issue. I have a 6mt with ~33k miles on it. I sometimes have issues with shifting into first when cold. None of the other issues though. Could this be related?
Old 01-22-2013, 12:48 AM
oro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
As the miles add up the issue comes back. Aside from the csc issue my old vq35de tranny had the same issues and temperament. My G was velvet smooth in the beginning as well, as time goes on it wears simple as that. Also depends on driving style and how bad you beat on it. As it's been said the tranny is beefy and NA will take almost anything you can throw at it, but the tranny is no exception, it wears over time. When you're out of warranty, rebuild it. Your rough shifts are half because of the nature of the tranny and half due to synchro wear over time. 72k on my 08 now, aside from the always clunky 1-2 shift, the tranny shifts like new save for a harder "lock" when grabbing gears. Thankfully these trannys are revised, the older 350z/g35 trannys had much worse issues 5th 4th and 3rd gear notches that would pop out of gear or not want to go into gear at all over time.
Old 01-22-2013, 11:21 AM
MS64MEE

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Picked up my 2009 sport 6mt with just under 34kmiles as CPO. Noticed a variety of noises such as
1. marbles in a jar between shifts, typically 4krpm and higher
2. growling marbles in ajar when slipping clutch from standstill
3. low deep rattling when clutch was depressed at idle

after doing basic clutch diagnosis, i knew clutch was holding fine and started to suspect the throw out bearing. I know dealers tend to shy away from warranty for things like clutches and brakes so i was bracing myself. at least i figured i could get the issue documented by an infiniti dealer which might give leverage to go back to dealer i bought it from. at time i only put few hundred miles on the car.

upon check in the service mgr warnd me 6mt tend to be "noisy" so i was pleasantlh surprised when he called me back that they would be replacing my tranny under warranty but clutch was fine.

after the replacement, things got alot quieter and smoother. but the marbles in a jar between shifts and when tsking off didnt go away. took it back in and they test drove it again and were adamant those were normal noises for ths car.

I've adapted my shifting style to slip less during easy takeoffs and let clutch faster and that seems to help. after some seating adjustments, ive been able to better snyc my pedal and shifter throw which also helps.

has anyone else encountered something simi.ar? are these noises just "operational characteristic of this vehicle" as the tech told me?

thanks...btw glad to have joined the g37 club...this car is a joy to own.
Old 01-22-2013, 11:37 AM
oro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by MS64MEE
Picked up my 2009 sport 6mt with just under 34kmiles as CPO. Noticed a variety of noises such as
1. marbles in a jar between shifts, typically 4krpm and higher
2. growling marbles in ajar when slipping clutch from standstill
3. low deep rattling when clutch was depressed at idle

after doing basic clutch diagnosis, i knew clutch was holding fine and started to suspect the throw out bearing. I know dealers tend to shy away from warranty for things like clutches and brakes so i was bracing myself. at least i figured i could get the issue documented by an infiniti dealer which might give leverage to go back to dealer i bought it from. at time i only put few hundred miles on the car.

upon check in the service mgr warnd me 6mt tend to be "noisy" so i was pleasantlh surprised when he called me back that they would be replacing my tranny under warranty but clutch was fine.

after the replacement, things got alot quieter and smoother. but the marbles in a jar between shifts and when tsking off didnt go away. took it back in and they test drove it again and were adamant those were normal noises for ths car.

I've adapted my shifting style to slip less during easy takeoffs and let clutch faster and that seems to help. after some seating adjustments, ive been able to better snyc my pedal and shifter throw which also helps.

has anyone else encountered something simi.ar? are these noises just "operational characteristic of this vehicle" as the tech told me?

thanks...btw glad to have joined the g37 club...this car is a joy to own.
That marbles in a jar noise is pretty much the sound of a one piece flywheel, that's pretty much what you hear at all times when you have one at idle until you depress the clutch pedal. In between shifts, is a little strange and shouldn't be super audible. That almost sounds like gears grinding to me, but since you have a new tranny that is probably a non-issue. (Look up some videos of 370z/G37 lightweight flywheel noise and see if that is similar to the sound you are hearing, at least near idle) *taking a shot in the dark and assuming that is the type of noise you are hearing*

The only reason I mention the one piece flywheel is there are a few guys who had had their stock dual mass flywheels...I wouldn't say fail, but the spring assembly on them gives out and they get louder. Your transmission might be fine and your clutch might be fine, but your flywheel although dual mass may be acting like a heavy single mass flywheel and not dampening the NVH it should.

Anyway I might be way off, but just throwing it out there, hopefully it helps. Also all that being said...the G is a luxury tourer, but it has one of the roughest shift feels in a car today. That being said the tranny is a beast and can take a beating from some very high horsepower, so attribute that sound to it being so heavy duty. Welcome!
Old 01-22-2013, 11:44 AM
daonlyillwiz

Received 30 Likes on 19 Posts
Crazy stuff ^
Old 01-22-2013, 07:53 PM
john91

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
That is exactly what I thought! good explanation sir!