Engine, Drivetrain & Forced-Induction
Have Technical Questions or Done Modifications to the G37? Find out the answer in here!

Help Z1 Oil Cooler + Amsoil Bypass Filter

Search this Thread

Old 10-04-2012, 03:05 PM
twin_snails
Premier Member

Received 177 Likes on 116 Posts
Z1 Oil Cooler + Amsoil Bypass Filter

I've had this idea ever since I got my 2010 G37 Sedan and knowing that the VQ37 tends to run hot and punish the oil. I also live in Texas so we get some blistering summers. I've searched the forums and can't seem to find anyone that has installed the Amsoil bypass filtration system in combination with an oil cooler setup. I'm thinking of going with the Z1 oil cooler kit (25-row) and possible trans cooler for 7AT.

Here's the Amsoil bypass filtration kit:

http://www.amsoil.com/bypassfilters/...MK23_BP252.pdf

The Z1 Oil cooler kit (WITH THERMOSTATIC PLATE):

Z1 Motorsports 370Z/G37 Oil Cooler Kit

My questions are:

1) What would the suggested plumbing route be off of the stock location of the oil filter?

2) How can I maintain oil flow through the filters with the thermostatically controlled oil cooler plate (when the engine oil temperature is not hot enough to circulate through the cooler)?

3) Will the stock oil pump maintain enough oil pressure so all components inside the engine receive sufficient lubrication under load (I want no oil starvation)?

4) Does anyone see any inherent issues with my idea that I may not be thinking of?

Thanks in advance for chiming in guys. I love this car and want to keep it for a very long time and with that in mind, I want to take pristine care of the engine. I'm a pretty technically oriented guy but I know I'm in uncharted territory and there may be things I'm not thinking of, so want to defer to the awesome myG37.com community for ideas. I'm also willing to do a DIY for this if it's deemed to be workable.

Thanks again,
Matt
Old 10-04-2012, 11:44 PM
bythabay
Registered Member

Received 42 Likes on 25 Posts
Originally Posted by twin_snails
I've had this idea ever since I got my 2010 G37 Sedan and knowing that the VQ37 tends to run hot and punish the oil. I also live in Texas so we get some blistering summers. I've searched the forums and can't seem to find anyone that has installed the Amsoil bypass filtration system in combination with an oil cooler setup. I'm thinking of going with the Z1 oil cooler kit (25-row) and possible trans cooler for 7AT.

Here's the Amsoil bypass filtration kit:

http://www.amsoil.com/bypassfilters/...MK23_BP252.pdf

The Z1 Oil cooler kit (WITH THERMOSTATIC PLATE):

Z1 Motorsports 370Z/G37 Oil Cooler Kit

My questions are:

1) What would the suggested plumbing route be off of the stock location of the oil filter?

2) How can I maintain oil flow through the filters with the thermostatically controlled oil cooler plate (when the engine oil temperature is not hot enough to circulate through the cooler)?

3) Will the stock oil pump maintain enough oil pressure so all components inside the engine receive sufficient lubrication under load (I want no oil starvation)?

4) Does anyone see any inherent issues with my idea that I may not be thinking of?

Thanks in advance for chiming in guys. I love this car and want to keep it for a very long time and with that in mind, I want to take pristine care of the engine. I'm a pretty technically oriented guy but I know I'm in uncharted territory and there may be things I'm not thinking of, so want to defer to the awesome myG37.com community for ideas. I'm also willing to do a DIY for this if it's deemed to be workable.

Thanks again,
Matt
Matt,

I installed the amsoil kit on my 2005 G35 way back in the day. I can give you some tips:

-Routing the cables reliably is very difficult, at least to my level of quality.
-Whenever you have cables with connections that you didn't have before, you are introducing new places where you can have problems (leaks).
-If you re-route the entire oil flow, such as using one of those amsoil oil filter relocation kits, you will most likely create some kind of flow restriction. When I had the kit installed I could always hear a loud buzzing noise during oil times of increased oil pressure.

My recommendation for you is to take a flow restricting T and let that run to your cooler and bypass filter. Make sure you get just the bypass kit, avoid rerouting all oil flow.

Now let's see some photos and a write-up!

Here is a link to my install AMSOIL.com - By-Pass Oil Filter: 2005 Infiniti G35 6MT Sedan

I mounted my bypass using a bracket to the bottom of the front bumper support, extra cooling too!
Old 10-08-2012, 02:39 PM
twin_snails
Premier Member

Received 177 Likes on 116 Posts
Thanks for the input man!

So with bypass only, the stock oil filter remains in it's original location correct?
Old 10-09-2012, 01:14 AM
bythabay
Registered Member

Originally Posted by twin_snails
Thanks for the input man!

So with bypass only, the stock oil filter remains in it's original location correct?
yes, correct
Old 10-09-2012, 07:09 AM
ashmostro

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
From what I read on amsoil's site, the bypass oil path is relatively low-flow... and if I understand your intent correctly, you want to use this path for the oil cooler?

If that's true, your oil cooler won't be able to do much cooling since only about 10% of the total oil flow will be going through it. In fact, with the pressure drop across the core you may even get total stall and no flow at all.

Just stick with the mocal thermostatic setup and you will reap the benefits of proper cold-weather temp stability and wamr-weather protection.
Old 10-09-2012, 12:31 PM
bythabay
Registered Member

Originally Posted by ashmostro
From what I read on amsoil's site, the bypass oil path is relatively low-flow... and if I understand your intent correctly, you want to use this path for the oil cooler?

If that's true, your oil cooler won't be able to do much cooling since only about 10% of the total oil flow will be going through it. In fact, with the pressure drop across the core you may even get total stall and no flow at all.

Just stick with the mocal thermostatic setup and you will reap the benefits of proper cold-weather temp stability and wamr-weather protection.
Yes, I agree, however, as far as the oil cooler goes, I believe it would introduce a similar type of flow restriction as a full flow filter relocation kit. What's interesting is that there was no significant change in oil pressure but the whining noise would still be there - not sure what the cause is/was - perhaps vibrations from inside the oil pump?

I wasn't comfortable waiting to find out, so I took the kit off.
Old 10-09-2012, 01:30 PM
ashmostro

I don't know if I'd agree that the flow restrictions (and therefore the bypass flow)would be the same, though. granted, I'm going by a mere white paper on the amsoil site, but a thermostatic sandwich plate adapter is going to redirect almost all of the flow through the cooler, rather than just 10%. The method you are describing necessarily limits the flow to the cooler at all times, regardless of the position of the oil thermostat.
Old 10-09-2012, 01:43 PM
bythabay
Registered Member

I don't know if I'd agree that the flow restrictions (and therefore the bypass flow)would be the same, though. granted, I'm going by a mere white paper on the amsoil site, but a thermostatic sandwich plate adapter is going to redirect almost all of the flow through the cooler, rather than just 10%. The method you are describing necessarily limits the flow to the cooler at all times, regardless of the position of the oil thermostat.
Perhaps I have introduced a bit of confusion with my cryptic replies

I will try to outline my ideas:

Redirecting oil flow at a rate of 100% whether it is to an oil cooler or a by pass filter will most likely result in a whining noise from the oil pump.

Whenever I mention the use of the bypass filter unit, I am assuming it will be plumbed into the full oil flow, however, a restrictor is placed before the bypass filter to limit the amount of oil that is allowed to flow through it to 10% or less, otherwise a significant pressure drop occurs.

thermostatic sandwich plate adapter is going to redirect almost all of the flow through the cooler, rather than just 10%.
Yes, this is 100% correct - again, redirecting 100% of the flow will result in the whining noise.
Old 10-09-2012, 01:51 PM
ashmostro

Ah, my bad. I read too fast I think

Why is there a whining noise from the pump? Extra load from the longer flow path? I find this strange since you're not bypassing any part of the flowpath- just extending it. Not the same as the bypass setup which introduces two separate paths (though not sure how that would differently affect what the pump sees).

I'm particularly interested as I'm about to install a 34-row kit using a thermostatic plate.
Old 10-09-2012, 01:55 PM
bythabay
Registered Member

I wish I knew what caused the noise. You can do an online search for "oil cooler whining noise" and you will find many others discussing the subject. One proposed solution that apparently worked for someone was to isolate the hoses from the chassis - but I think it only worked for one person and who even knows how much we can trust that.
Old 10-09-2012, 01:57 PM
ashmostro

Ah, sounds like a pressure wave effect. Normally that would be damped since it's all internal to the engine. My guess is the source of the noise is always there, but you don't hear it until you pull the flow out of the engine where it can resonate lines and the cooler, which being Aluminum can probably sing pretty loud.

That's my guess at least.
Old 10-09-2012, 02:03 PM
bythabay
Registered Member

Ah, sounds like a pressure wave effect. Normally that would be damped since it's all internal to the engine. My guess is the source of the noise is always there, but you don't hear it until you pull the flow out of the engine where it can resonate lines and the cooler, which being Aluminum can probably sing pretty loud.

That's my guess at least.
Back then it sounded to me like it was coming from the oil pump..
Old 10-09-2012, 02:38 PM
ashmostro

Hmm. Maybe a standing wave with a node at the pump for similar reasons I stated above.

I will let you know if I get the same effect when i do my install, sans bypass kit.
Old 10-21-2012, 06:23 AM
ashmostro

Installed my 34 row setrab and thermostatic plate kit yesterday and there definitely is a humming sound now that varies with engine speed. It's definitely the cooler and definitely because it's acting like a planar speaker.

I think it sounds cool but I'm a dork that way