Engine, Drivetrain & Forced-Induction
Have Technical Questions or Done Modifications to the G37? Find out the answer in here!

Clutch acting up in hot temperatures

Search this Thread

Old 09-14-2012, 09:28 PM
indowanksta88
Registered Member

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts
Clutch acting up in hot temperatures

Watsup fellow G37'ers

So in the last two months I had my clutch system replaced with Southbend heavy duty CSC, southbend stage 2 daily clutch, southbend light weight flywheel. I also had the master slave cylinder replaced since the car broke down again. The car drives really well in normal temperature days. Unfortunetly, on days like today (108 degrees in Corona, CA), my clutch has no pressure the first couple inches and will only engage into gear at the bottom and clutch will have no pressure the rest of the way up. I tried to explain the situation in the best possible way without sounding like a complete nOOb.

My thoughts are that there is possibly air in the lines that is causing this situation. In the mornings when I am driving to work, the car drives beautifully. From my point of view, on very hot days, the lines will tend to expand in heat causing the air bubbles in the lines to build up which results in a loss in clutch pressure. I wanted to get your guys' opinion on this situation.

Someone please help me!

Thank you!
Old 09-14-2012, 11:55 PM
JSolo
Just say no!!!!!

Received 590 Likes on 494 Posts
Try bleeding it by cracking the fitting at the master while someone holds the pedal to the floor. Open the fitting very slowly and just slightly. Wrap the area with a towel as you'll get brake fluid spray.
Old 09-16-2012, 04:14 PM
bythabay
Registered Member

Received 42 Likes on 25 Posts
Those systems with the CSC can be a real pain in the *** to bleed... good luck - let us know how it turns out.
Old 09-16-2012, 10:11 PM
Elperuano

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I'm havin the same troubles as well. OS giken twin disc and in hot weather the clutch will just drop to the floor. I got the csc n ss lines just installed. Bled the clutch but I guess not all of it. Hot weather clutch will drop. Once it cools down it'll work like halfway normal. Won't come up all the way tho unless I leave it overnight. Pumped it like 100 times still no change. It got so bad today I couldn't get into first at a stop light. But I did have luck when I turned the car off I put the car in 1st and turned it on and she went and barely got thru the gears. Once on highway I rode out and I guess it cooled off some cus when I went to get gas I was able to put it thru the gears. These clutches r impossible to bleed out.
Old 09-17-2012, 02:59 AM
JSolo
Just say no!!!!!

Received 590 Likes on 494 Posts
^^Try cracking the line fitting at the master cylinder while having a helper hold the pedal to the floor. Wrap the area around the master with a towel before doing so, and open it just slightly. I've had to do that on stubborn mcy masters (clutch and brake) that wouldn't bleed fully.
Old 09-20-2012, 11:52 PM
indowanksta88
Registered Member

Hey guys, thank you all so much for the explanations and advise. I have been really busy with work lately that I haven't been able to check up on this thread. So I picked up my car back from the dealership today and they re bled the lines with new brake fluid and it seemed to be running fine *crosses fingers*. Right before I dropped the car off on Saturday, I checked the fluid reservoir in front of the master slave cylinder and found there was some debris within the fluid as well. At this point I was completely confused and the only explanation I could think of was the residue from the manufacturing process of the new master slave cylinder (possible rust inhibitors?). I am still pondering on that and not sure if that is the correct reason. The service tech wasnt too sure about that either after I made him drive the car and showed him the problem over the weekend. The weather reached triple digits again today and the clutch seemed to be operating fine. I drove down to Carlsbad where the weather is awesome at 75 degrees and the car drives beautifully. I am hoping the issue is permanently resolved.

On a positive note, I am glad I don't have to drive that automatic G25 rental they gave me anymore
Old 09-21-2012, 02:45 AM
huwee06

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
What brake/clutch fluid did you end up on using? Assuming it's Motul or something equivalent? Ask because when I swap the OEM to stoptech str600 it helped a lot making the clutch pedal not to lose its stiffness at 100+ deg compared to OEM where it got spongy. Plus I never did a complete flush, I just siphon the old fluid and pour the new one in hah.
Old 09-22-2012, 02:22 AM
indowanksta88
Registered Member

^ Thanks for the advise man, I am 99% sure the dealer only used OEM brake fluid, I did notice the clutch felt very slightly spongy yesterday and today when it was over 100 degrees in the evening. For the most part, the car drives sooo much better than a week ago. If I start to notice the clutch acting up again, I am just going to flush out the oem fluid for the Motul fluid or something of that equivalent.