Engine, Drivetrain & Forced-Induction
Have Technical Questions or Done Modifications to the G37? Find out the answer in here!

Failed CSC (pedal stuck). Is it covered under the powertrain warranty?

Search this Thread

Old 08-27-2012, 02:25 AM
Dough1397
Registered Member

Received 60 Likes on 35 Posts
Failed CSC (pedal stuck). Is it covered under the powertrain warranty?

What happened: shifted as I exited a roundabout and pedal didn't come up. Now I am sitting on the side of the road waiting for a flat bed .

I got to thinking about going with a heavy duty after market csc, but remembered I am still within the 6 year / 110,000 km powertrain warranty period. Would the CSC be covered under this?
Old 08-27-2012, 08:22 AM
jon23

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
No it is not. I just had to change my clutch and flywheel last week, when the mechanic found the CSC was bad. I called my dealer to check and they said no. I then called Infiniti Consumer Relations and they confirmed the CSC is part of the Basic Warranty. Bunch of BS... So I had to hurry up and go buy one from the dealer at almost 2x the price than what you find online, since my car was on the lift with the tranny on the ground...

If you are able to, go ahead and get the HD CSC... Also find out if you'll need the CSC Tube if you get the HD, the OEM CSC needs its Tube replaced when they replace the CSC (per dealer), which was not the case with my car, the mechanic found mine intact.
Old 08-27-2012, 11:41 AM
TwoThree

Received 51 Likes on 41 Posts
Jon and I just went though this. CSC is covered under basic 4year/60,000 mile. It is not covered under power train. It's considered a clutch component. The clutch and flywheel aren't covered at all, but the CSC is.

There are work arounds on this however. PM me for details.
Old 08-27-2012, 11:53 AM
jon23

Originally Posted by TwoThree
Jon and I just went though this. CSC is covered under basic 4year/60,000 mile. It is not covered under power train. It's considered a clutch component. The clutch and flywheel aren't covered at all, but the CSC is.

Yup we did, and I hope I can use his advice soon! Definitely good to know someone on the inside, thanks Mike!
Old 08-27-2012, 06:23 PM
Dough1397
Registered Member

Service advisor called me this morning and told me the clutch master cylinder and clutch operating cylinder need replacing and neither would be covered under the power train warranty. I spoke to the service advisor and manager (both of whom were fairly helpful) when I explained that I believe its a defective part, not a wear & tear component and therefore should be covered under the guidelines set out in the warranty handout (available on Infiniti's wesbite). They called corporate and then called me back saying corporate said clutch components are not covered, I heard them out and then pointed out the warranty handout says clutch components are covered for defects and not wear & tear, this is clearly a defect! They directed me to corporate's Customer Relations phone line.

Customer Relations seemed to want to know if I had an issue with my dealer or if I wanted financial assistance, to which I diverted and said I want to know why this is not covered under a powertrain warranty when it is not specifically called out in any exclusion lists made available to the customers. The Customer Relations agent said I'll assume you're seeking assistance then, and I agreed assistance was fine, however reasoning and justification would make a satisfied customer one way or the other. She said they would investigate and follow up shortly.

I wonder how long I'll be without my G :|
Old 08-27-2012, 07:55 PM
jon23

You got farther than I did. When I called them last week the lady who answered the phone put me on hold to "find out" for 5-10 mins. She then came back to tell me that "it's not in the list of covered parts"... Hope something comes out of this, too many CSC failures going on everywhere, as it also affects the 370z.

Have you noticed how everything inside there is built of some type of durable metal, but the one thing that keeps failing on us is made of...plastic? If that is not called Job Security, I don't know what is... SMH

They are usually quick to follow up, but if they don't call you back by tomorrow, give them a ring and push this thing. Hope it works out for you!
Old 08-27-2012, 08:43 PM
JSolo
Just say no!!!!!

Received 588 Likes on 492 Posts
I know this doesn't help the OP, but for those with an extended warranty, these items are covered without a doubt.

http://www.eliteprotectionplan.com/p...klet-small.pdf

Slightly easier to read (old version): http://home.comcast.net/~pw.2006/inf...e_brochure.PDF

Still, the cluch master and slave are NOT wear items, and should last the life of the car unless they're defective.

https://owners.infinitiusa.com/iowne...ranty_2012.pdf

Page 8, It doesn't explicitly exclude clutch master/slave cylinders, but does mention clutch disk on page 10 as being wear items. In fact, there's no mention there of much of anything pertaining to a manual trans. That doesn't mean that if a manual trans fails (syncro, gears, whatever) that they're not covered under warranty because they are. I think a well crafted letter from an attorney might yield some positive results.
Old 08-27-2012, 09:22 PM
TwoThree

Nice post Jsolo. As you said they really aren't wear items, and should be covered when the go bad...
Old 08-28-2012, 02:35 AM
kstampy

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Always try another dealer but I just had mine replaced under the 4 yr warranty no questions asked. Downshifting in to 2nd in the canyons at speed and pedal was stuck to the ground until it sat for 10 mins and thankfully came back up to drive it around until I got to the dealer a few days later.
Old 08-28-2012, 10:00 AM
TwoThree

It is covered by the 4 year basic bumper to bumper warranty. It is not covered once the basic warranty expires and you head into the power train warranty. It just is not covered under the power train warranty.
Old 08-28-2012, 02:07 PM
Dough1397
Registered Member

Originally Posted by Jsolo
Still, the cluch master and slave are NOT wear items, and should last the life of the car unless they're defective.

https://owners.infinitiusa.com/iowne...ranty_2012.pdf

Page 8, It doesn't explicitly exclude clutch master/slave cylinders, but does mention clutch disk on page 10 as being wear items. In fact, there's no mention there of much of anything pertaining to a manual trans. That doesn't mean that if a manual trans fails (syncro, gears, whatever) that they're not covered under warranty because they are. I think a well crafted letter from an attorney might yield some positive results.
Exactly what I am discussing with Infiniti right now. They don't seem to care about this technicality however. Most of the customer relation's response was geared towards A) issue with the dealer or B) financial assistance. I'd settle with option B). But what Jsolo described is what I really want to know and what I am pushing to get out of them.
Old 08-28-2012, 03:16 PM
jmann
Registered Member

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
I would not expect clutch cylinders to last the life of a vehicle, assuming the vehicle is expected to last more than 10 years. These should however, be at least a 10 year part. I had to replace both of them on my old '85 toyota camry at about the 10 year mark. They were not expensive or hard to replace as a DIY.
Old 09-01-2012, 03:23 PM
smitty8930

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by TwoThree

Ive had my car for almost 5 yrs...i have 63000 miles...wat can i do to get the dealer to help me with this?
Old 09-01-2012, 07:32 PM
TwoThree

Absolutely nothing. You're out of warranty in both time and mileage. They will cover the CSC under basic, but not under power train as we stated before.
Old 09-01-2012, 08:04 PM
NyLiGHTz

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Does bumper to bumper warranty cover clutch replacement? Or is it part of the wear and tear group.

Quick Reply: Failed CSC (pedal stuck). Is it covered under the powertrain warranty?