Engine, Drivetrain & Forced-Induction
Have Technical Questions or Done Modifications to the G37? Find out the answer in here!

Failed CSC (pedal stuck). Is it covered under the powertrain warranty?

Search this Thread

Old 09-01-2012, 10:38 PM
TwoThree

Received 51 Likes on 41 Posts
The clutch and flywheel are not covered under any warranty at all. The CSC is covered under basic but not under power train.
Old 09-02-2012, 10:09 AM
jon23

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Clutch and flywheel fall under wear & tear, as pointed out before.
Old 09-14-2012, 06:59 PM
Dough1397
Registered Member

Received 60 Likes on 35 Posts
19 Days later and I've got my car back!

I am still waiting on Infiniti to respond to my request as to why the clutch slave cylinder is not covered.

I chose to go with a mix of aftermarket and oem parts; Zspeed HD clutch slave (CSC), Southbend DXD black flywheel, Southbend Stage 2 Daily clutch, OEM master cylinder.

I had my dealer do the install (Guelph Infiniti), the car had been sitting in their lot for two weeks and they had been prompt in diagnosing, communicating and what not. It would be pretty ****ty to leave them high and dry and take my car elsewhere. They took roughly 9 hours to complete the job but only charged for 7 as they had quoted. One thing they mentioned was that they thought a piece was missing to connect the stainless steel lines of the HD CSC to the rest of the system, turned out they just looked at it wrong :P

My service advisor walked me out to my car and warned me, "the clutch will feel very different, but I am sure you know that!" I laughed and said "I know." I sat down, pressed the clutch and shat myself. It was fairly heavy. Travel seemed a bit shorter (may need some feedback here). I hit the start button and listened, not louder at all while starting. I idled for a bit and listened, no major changes. I tried to pull out of the lot and ended up at 3k rpm. Apparently I had forgotten how to drive in 19 days without my G! It seems to catch a different spot and the travel is weird, was this expected or just me forgetting everything?! Driving home I noticed noise in 1st and 2nd below 2k rpm. It was louder/annoyinger than I thought it would be, but I sorta saw that coming. Drive was good aside from that, clutch grabs and shifts well, didn't do anything to crazy yet.

Also noticed my brake pedal needs to pushed down more than I remember. Gonna check fluid and lines later/tomorrow morning.

Looking at the CSC, the rubber boot was completely torn to shreds, not sure if this is what broke causing this whole issue, or if the rubber was damaged upon removal. The clutch, flywheel, pressure plate look to be in decent shape, at least 1mm to rivet heads (96k km or 60k miles, previous owner was a young guy, i expected worse). I feel like i coulda gotten some more time out of the original clutch, flywheel, pressure plate.
Old 09-15-2012, 01:39 AM
jon23

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Dough1397

I chose to go with a mix of aftermarket and oem parts; Zspeed HD clutch slave (CSC), Southbend DXD black flywheel, Southbend Stage 2 Daily clutch, OEM master cylinder.

...I sat down, pressed the clutch and shat myself. It was fairly heavy. Travel seemed a bit shorter (may need some feedback here). I hit the start button and listened, not louder at all while starting. I idled for a bit and listened, no major changes. I tried to pull out of the lot and ended up at 3k rpm. Apparently I had forgotten how to drive in 19 days without my G! It seems to catch a different spot and the travel is weird, was this expected or just me forgetting everything?! Driving home I noticed noise in 1st and 2nd below 2k rpm. It was louder/annoyinger than I thought it would be, but I sorta saw that coming. Drive was good aside from that, clutch grabs and shifts well, didn't do anything to crazy yet.

Also noticed my brake pedal needs to pushed down more than I remember. Gonna check fluid and lines later/tomorrow morning.

Looking at the CSC, the rubber boot was completely torn to shreds, not sure if this is what broke causing this whole issue, or if the rubber was damaged upon removal. The clutch, flywheel, pressure plate look to be in decent shape, at least 1mm to rivet heads (96k km or 60k miles, previous owner was a young guy, i expected worse). I feel like i coulda gotten some more time out of the original clutch, flywheel, pressure plate.

The heavy clutch feel you get is normal. When my car was done, I remember feeling like a almost pulled my left calf muscles (no joke), since I was attempting to drive out of pure muscle memory. My leg was expecting the same resistance and pedal travel than a few hours before the flywheel and clutch were replaced...what a difference!

But don't worry, it goes away a little and you also get used to it . The low engaging point will also yield. Mine feels a lot better now, it used to be almost all the way against the floor, so when I first got my car back, I almost stalled the thing!

My CSC was intact when they checked, so I kept it, hope it doesn't go bad soon...

The chatter is normal due to the nature of your new flywheel. It's a single plate and cannot absorb all the noise the OEM flywheel used to. And, as you noticed, it only occurs below ~2,500 RPM. Mine makes noise at idling range sometimes.

I guess it's one of those things we have to live with, but I love the slight increase in acceleration and RPM flow, it makes it a little harder to rev match though...
Old 09-15-2012, 05:04 PM
Ken
Registered Member

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by Dough1397

I am still waiting on Infiniti to respond to my request as to why the clutch slave cylinder is not covered.

I had my dealer do the install (Guelph Infiniti), the car had been sitting in their lot for two weeks and they had been prompt in diagnosing, communicating and what not. It would be pretty ****ty to leave them high and dry and take my car elsewhere. They took roughly 9 hours to complete the job but only charged for 7 as they had quoted. One thing they mentioned was that they thought a piece was missing to connect the stainless steel lines of the HD CSC to the rest of the system, turned out they just looked at it wrong :P

My service advisor walked me out to my car and warned me, "the clutch will feel very different, but I am sure you know that!" I laughed and said "I know." I sat down, pressed the clutch and shat myself. It was fairly heavy. Travel seemed a bit shorter (may need some feedback here). I hit the start button and listened, not louder at all while starting. I idled for a bit and listened, no major changes. I tried to pull out of the lot and ended up at 3k rpm. Apparently I had forgotten how to drive in 19 days without my G! It seems to catch a different spot and the travel is weird, was this expected or just me forgetting everything?! Driving home I noticed noise in 1st and 2nd below 2k rpm. It was louder/annoyinger than I thought it would be, but I sorta saw that coming. Drive was good aside from that, clutch grabs and shifts well, didn't do anything to crazy yet.

I have the same Southbend Stage 2 clutch on my car. You HAVE TO take it easy the first 1,000 miles as you have to break-in the clutch. The Southbend stage 2 is kevlar and you can easily glaze it if you don't break it in properly. From what I remember, the car will be noisier for the first 700 miles or so as the clutch breaks-in--it will go away after that.

There will be chatter like the above poster said. You now have a single mass flywheel so it will chatter a bit at RPMs below 2000.