Engine, Drivetrain & Forced-Induction
Have Technical Questions or Done Modifications to the G37? Find out the answer in here!

The time has come...

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-2012, 11:19 PM
HYE5PE3DZ

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The time has come...

Whats up guys, ive been doing numerous days of research now and im not able to decide, I have a g37s coupe and my clutch has unforchantly started slipping, this is my everyday driver and i occationally go to the "track", im debating between a Southbend stage 1 or 2, even though it is my daily i am still an aggressive driver. i have also contacted Precision Z and spoke with shawn and he told me about a new clutch made by Competition, he told me that if im willing to loan my car to him he will give me a "discount" but i dont know exactly what he ment by that. he was pretty brief, im asumming installation would be free...

and ofcourse i have tried the dealer to see if i can somehow get them to help and suprisingly the tech manager said he doesnt have a problem changing it under warrenty due to a transmission malfuction that my car had generated itself, but he said if there isnt any ubnormal wear on the clutch then i got to shoot out about a 1000plus, so it takes me back to ground zero, id rather pay for a aftermarket racing clutch then the p.o.s clutch that comes stock... please help me out. thanks in advance..
Old 08-21-2012, 03:07 PM
daren_ipl
Registered Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
If I was spending that kind Of money on a clutch I'd go aftermarket
Old 08-21-2012, 04:52 PM
Sython

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I'd love to know why you think the stock clutch is a POS.
Old 08-21-2012, 05:25 PM
jon23

There are 2 other active threads about clutches and flywheel setups.

Our factory clutch is no slouch, if you realize it's given you lots of fun driving time depending on your driving habits and how much you took care for it. Aftermarket parts are usually "better" because of high OEM prices, and the fact that aftermarket ones are made for HD applications, usually with FI in mind, something that did not come with the car, otherwise Infiniti/Nissan would carry them. I wish there were more Nismo parts available for our Gs, like the Flywheel, which I bet is lighter...

I personally wouldn't lend my car for testing, I'd just do some research and buy something that is proven to work right. Our car has been around for a while now, so the choices abound.

BTW, for comparison, my dealer quoted me $2,000 for the job. Flywheel and clutch replacement, parts and labor. Not too bad, but I decided to go aftermarket.
Old 08-21-2012, 06:24 PM
HYE5PE3DZ

Which setup did you go with since you went aftermarket?
Old 08-21-2012, 06:27 PM
HYE5PE3DZ

Originally Posted by Sython
I'd love to know why you think the stock clutch is a POS.
I drive my car a little harder than others im assuming, im sure it would have lasted much longer if i properly drove the car, hints why i said "track"
Old 08-21-2012, 07:00 PM
jon23

Originally Posted by HYE5PE3DZ
Which setup did you go with since you went aftermarket?

I went with the South Bend flywheel/clutch stage 1 combo. It should be installed by Friday. I'll post my views after driving it for a week or so.

If you want a detailed review on the South Bend combo, PM BlackBetty. He has the stage 2 or 3 clutch I believe.
Old 08-21-2012, 08:19 PM
eljoker

Received 192 Likes on 125 Posts
Question is how many miles are on your G? If the clutch is slipping and, lets say, it you G has low miles, its not slipping because its a crappy clutch. Its slipping for other reasons.

I have a friend that put an ACT clutch on his civic and said it was the biggest POS he had ever had because he needed to replace it 20k miles later. He couldnt understand that he didnt need to hit VTEC between every stop sign and shift like hes on the Nurbergring (the non straight aways ).

Either way tho, OEM is expensive just beacause of the dealer market up and Labor that is charged. Not because of the clutch its self.
Old 08-21-2012, 09:15 PM
jon23

Originally Posted by eljoker
Question is how many miles are on your G? If the clutch is slipping and, lets say, it you G has low miles, its not slipping because its a crappy clutch. Its slipping for other reasons.

I have a friend that put an ACT clutch on his civic and said it was the biggest POS he had ever had because he needed to replace it 20k miles later. He couldnt understand that he didnt need to hit VTEC between every stop sign and shift like hes on the Nurbergring (the non straight aways ).

Either way tho, OEM is expensive just beacause of the dealer market up and Labor that is charged. Not because of the clutch its self.

Mine has about 52K. I bought it used so there is no telling how much abuse it got from the prior owner, and I don't mean spirited driving (as our Gs inspire it) but bad driving habits.

And about OEM being expensive due to dealer markups, you are correct. I don't know about them being inexpensive, as some discount Infiniti parts sites have a flywheel, for example, for $800 (plus shipping) which is down from over $1,000 MSRP. Now if you ask me, $800 is still pretty pricey, unless you're a baller and can buy these things like everyday lunches...

Nice aftermarket flywheels go for around $500. The clutch though, that's a different story, the OEM price online is just as much as a decent aftermarket one. I guess that balances things out, but be it because the dealer marks them up so high, or because they come from far away, OEM parts are still pricey... my POV though.
Old 08-21-2012, 09:21 PM
HYE5PE3DZ

My car has about 20k miles on it, i guess i take back calling the oem clutch a pos but for me it didnt do much good, it may be different for others.
Old 08-22-2012, 01:31 AM
eljoker

My car has about 20k miles on it, i guess i take back calling the oem clutch a pos but for me it didnt do much good, it may be different for others.
Dang dude 20k on your g and already you need a new clutch? Well Id look around and call a few places, hopefully the next one last longer.
Old 08-22-2012, 03:03 AM
HYE5PE3DZ

Dang dude 20k on your g and already you need a new clutch? Well Id look around and call a few places, hopefully the next one last longer.
Yah no kidding, i got a 2012 i got the car in the end of feb. 2 months after my purchase my second gear went out, im thinking i just got a messed up tranny period, luckly they put a new one in
Old 08-22-2012, 03:24 AM
sethbrawnl

They were 550 originally, or when I bought mine they were
Old 08-22-2012, 02:19 PM
eljoker

Yah no kidding, i got a 2012 i got the car in the end of feb. 2 months after my purchase my second gear went out, im thinking i just got a messed up tranny period, luckly they put a new one in
Dang new tranny? Hopefully they put the Zs tranny with the Syncro match
Old 08-22-2012, 03:16 PM
Josh

curious to know what other reasons maybe? my 08 clutch is starting to slip and i got 35K miles on it. i dont drive really drive like a maniac.

Quick Reply: The time has come...