Engine, Drivetrain & Forced-Induction
Have Technical Questions or Done Modifications to the G37? Find out the answer in here!

clutch questions

Search this Thread

Old 08-05-2012, 01:53 AM
WREKZ

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation clutch questions

hey everyone

I bought a used 2011' g37s mt with only 1,230 miles on it. I've been driving the car normal not abusing it . its my weekend car btw i shift around 3k-4k rpm depending on my driving mood. its been 6 months since i had the car, i've put 7k miles on it. mainly highway miles on it. my question about the clutch is if its normal for my car to rattle after letting go of my clutch in 1st ? and once i reach 3500k rpm i shift to 2nd and you can hear the gear going in ..is that normal? you can only hear it go in in 2nd gear not 3,4,5,6.

wrekz
Old 08-05-2012, 03:15 AM
G37SBS
Registered Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
i don't know about rattle in 1st but i can hear the gear going in when i shift to 2nd. 1st to 2nd shift is a little harsh in our cars.

if you don't mind how much did you pay for your car?

Thanks
Old 08-05-2012, 03:29 AM
eVitO

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
That's fine, don't worry. The throw-out bearing is really noisy in our cars.
Old 08-05-2012, 09:58 AM
jon23

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I also get that rattle and the 1st to 2nd gear clanking. It's kind of embarrassing when going through the drive-thrus as our cars sound like our transmission is about to drop...lol
Old 08-05-2012, 11:25 PM
WREKZ

Originally Posted by G37SBS
i don't know about rattle in 1st but i can hear the gear going in when i shift to 2nd. 1st to 2nd shift is a little harsh in our cars.

if you don't mind how much did you pay for your car?

Thanks
the car was $39,345 plus 3m paint protection $995, plus "warrant solutions" $2,300, plus sale tax $3,053, total was around $45,748 doesn't include the finance charge, which is $5,483 for $30,800 5.55% interest rate, i gave $15,000 down thats why it was $30,800 so in the long run total came out to be around 36k
Old 08-05-2012, 11:33 PM
WREKZ

Originally Posted by eVitO
That's fine, don't worry. The throw-out bearing is really noisy in our cars.
thanks its my first time owning a G. so i wouldn't have known it was normal
Old 08-05-2012, 11:39 PM
WREKZ

Originally Posted by jon23
I also get that rattle and the 1st to 2nd gear clanking. It's kind of embarrassing when going through the drive-thrus as our cars sound like our transmission is about to drop...lol
yea the rattle is making me think something is wrong with the clutch but i mean i dont abuse the clutch maybe at first when i got the car yes a little since i had to get use to the clutch and i agree with you going into 2nd gear was making me mad, i thought i was messing up the car or wasn't driving it right.
Old 08-05-2012, 11:45 PM
3BEP6

Dealer already changed the throw out bearing twice on my car for that same reason. It is normal with out cars.
Old 08-06-2012, 12:07 AM
JSolo
Just say no!!!!!

Received 588 Likes on 492 Posts
I know there's a rattle (marbles in a can type noise) when you're idling with the clutch fully engaged (pedal completely off the floor). This noise goes away if you fully depress the pedal to the floor. Completely normal and common on many manual cars.

If you're getting some sort of clanking noise when shifting, first make sure you're shifting correctly. There is a huge gear ratio between 1st and second gear. If you rev up to say 3K rpm in 1st, you need to let the rpms drop to about 1700 before letting the clutch back in in second for a smooth shift. Otherwise, you may hear what sounds like clanking as the clutch/engine are fighting to match the rpms.

Also, likely because of this huge gear ratio difference, if you try shifting fast from 1st to 2nd, you may feel a sort of vibration, AND hear some sort of clanking noise. I believe this because of the abrupt clutch disengagement.

The smoothest shift occurs when the trans is unloaded. That is, the car is not accelerating or decelerating.

Try this;

Accelerate as you normally do in first. As you're getting ready to shift, try easing up on the throttle just before you disengage the clutch. Perform your shift (keeping in mind the rpm difference), apply slight throttle before re-engaging the clutch.

Reading the above will take 10x longer than to actually do it, but it's a matter of timing. So long as I remember to apply this, 9/10 times, 1-2 shift is just as smooth as all the other gears.
Old 08-06-2012, 12:47 AM
WREKZ

Originally Posted by 3BEP6
Dealer already changed the throw out bearing twice on my car for that same reason. It is normal with out cars.
thanks for letting me know. i'm taking my car in for the 7500k service,i'll ask them to check it out
Old 08-06-2012, 12:49 AM
WREKZ

Originally Posted by Jsolo
I know there's a rattle (marbles in a can type noise) when you're idling with the clutch fully engaged (pedal completely off the floor). This noise goes away if you fully depress the pedal to the floor. Completely normal and common on many manual cars.

If you're getting some sort of clanking noise when shifting, first make sure you're shifting correctly. There is a huge gear ratio between 1st and second gear. If you rev up to say 3K rpm in 1st, you need to let the rpms drop to about 1700 before letting the clutch back in in second for a smooth shift. Otherwise, you may hear what sounds like clanking as the clutch/engine are fighting to match the rpms.

Also, likely because of this huge gear ratio difference, if you try shifting fast from 1st to 2nd, you may feel a sort of vibration, AND hear some sort of clanking noise. I believe this because of the abrupt clutch disengagement.

The smoothest shift occurs when the trans is unloaded. That is, the car is not accelerating or decelerating.

Try this;

Accelerate as you normally do in first. As you're getting ready to shift, try easing up on the throttle just before you disengage the clutch. Perform your shift (keeping in mind the rpm difference), apply slight throttle before re-engaging the clutch.

Reading the above will take 10x longer than to actually do it, but it's a matter of timing. So long as I remember to apply this, 9/10 times, 1-2 shift is just as smooth as all the other gears.
thanks for the advice, i'll keep that in mind, its my first G and first manual car.
Old 08-18-2012, 05:06 AM
jon23

Yeah, now that my clutch is pretty much done for, I've been looking for a good flywheel and clutch. I looked for better throw out bearings, but couldn't find anything. I'm thinking about staying OEM and getting a factory flywheel and an aftermarket clutch, at least I'll get some improvement without the added noise, right?
Old 08-18-2012, 11:31 AM
cruzmisl

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
Originally Posted by jon23
Adjust how you shift, either lower RPM or higher. You won't get the clanking. I used to but I changed that shift and haven't caused it since.
Old 08-18-2012, 11:46 AM
joshk

At what rpm do u guys shift at? I usually shift at 2100-2500 but then again, i do love to push it alittle lol. It could also be because your car is still a baby because mine felt wayy stiffer when i first got it and now feels more softer and even though theres still clankiness from 1st to second, its less
Old 08-18-2012, 06:52 PM
john91

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by joshk
At what rpm do u guys shift at? I usually shift at 2100-2500 but then again, i do love to push it alittle lol. It could also be because your car is still a baby because mine felt wayy stiffer when i first got it and now feels more softer and even though theres still clankiness from 1st to second, its less
I try very hard to shift around 3k but most of the time end up shifting around 5-6k lol I just cant help it...but then she starts to cry to give her more gas at the drink station....

Last edited by john91; 08-18-2012 at 06:57 PM.

Quick Reply: clutch questions