Engine, Drivetrain & Forced-Induction
Have Technical Questions or Done Modifications to the G37? Find out the answer in here!

G37 IPL Transmission Failure (twice in <20,000 km)

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-2012, 03:01 PM
Coprolite

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I don't think the issue is the skipping of gears. But rather the clutch use. This still doesn't explain the fact that it didn't happen on his 2008 G37S. Did they replace the transmission the first time or only repair it? If they just put a bandaid on, this would very well explain the re-occurrence.

Good luck with your endeavors. I've only got moral support to offer, as I have a 7AT.
Old 08-02-2012, 03:08 PM
Black Betty
Lexus Defector

Received 2,087 Likes on 1,267 Posts
Originally Posted by Coprolite
I don't think the issue is the skipping of gears. But rather the clutch use. This still doesn't explain the fact that it didn't happen on his 2008 G37S. Did they replace the transmission the first time or only repair it? If they just put a bandaid on, this would very well explain the re-occurrence.

Good luck with your endeavors. I've only got moral support to offer, as I have a 7AT.
Highly unlikely IMO. I have an '08. I have had issues with CSC as well as master cylinder. These are much more common as they are the weak points in the system and a number of people have experienced them. The transmission itself and synchros specifically failing is not common at all. Except on his car. Twice now.

But then there was another member who had the transmission and engine replaced like 2 or 3 times as well in a short time. Maybe it's not what he's doing to it. But the odds are strongly against that. 2 new transmissions with defective synchros and that are not failing due to user error? In the same car? Coincidence?
Old 08-02-2012, 03:15 PM
Coprolite

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I missed the part about replacing the transmission in the OP. Perhaps it was repaired and the OP is under the assumption it was replaced.

I know this is totally anecdotal, but I learned how to drive on a MT and would skip gears all the time. Whether gliding to a slower cruising speed or accelerating aggressively and then putting it straight in to top gear to cruise at the speed limit.

Perhaps it is better that my tastes lay in PDK/Dual clutch setups these days rather than destroying transmissions.
Old 08-02-2012, 03:50 PM
DashKid
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Well he could be dumping his clutch. He also might not be rev matching when he down shifts.
Old 08-02-2012, 04:42 PM
Black Betty
Lexus Defector

Received 2,087 Likes on 1,267 Posts
Originally Posted by Coprolite
I missed the part about replacing the transmission in the OP. Perhaps it was repaired and the OP is under the assumption it was replaced.

I know this is totally anecdotal, but I learned how to drive on a MT and would skip gears all the time. Whether gliding to a slower cruising speed or accelerating aggressively and then putting it straight in to top gear to cruise at the speed limit.

Perhaps it is better that my tastes lay in PDK/Dual clutch setups these days rather than destroying transmissions.
OP stated it was replaced in the first post. And they don't typically repair transmissions under warranty, they replace them entirely. Replacing it entirely costs less than the labor to tear down and rebuild it. And it removes the possibility of possibly having not fixed the problem when you get a brand new one; you know the issue is fixed. Except in the case of the OP's car.

I wonder if they'll throw another defective one in there. I hope not, that would suck to be unlucky enough to get 3 defective trannys in a row in the same car! I'd be pissed.
Old 08-02-2012, 04:46 PM
DashKid
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Black Betty
OP stated it was replaced in the first post. And they don't typically repair transmissions under warranty, they replace them entirely. Replacing it entirely costs less than the labor to tear down and rebuild it. And it removes the possibility of possibly having not fixed the problem when you get a brand new one; you know the issue is fixed. Except in the case of the OP's car.

I wonder if they'll throw another defective one in there. I hope not, that would suck to be unlucky enough to get 3 defective trannys in a row in the same car! I'd be pissed.
Man if that happened I would lemon that car.
Old 08-02-2012, 06:48 PM
Catashep

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Thanks for the comments everyone. A couple of things....
I never dump the clutch and always blip on the shifts (don't get it perfect everytime but certainly don't jar the transmission). So ... with all that considered and the fact that a transmission is designed to take some reasonably minor mistakes that some drivers may make, I have to believe it has something to do with more than what has been mentioned so far. I will say that I started having problems with my first transmission after I was revving high going into a corner...maybe 6500 or so. After I came out of the turn I shifted, and accelerated to a stop sign, braked and put car in neutral. When I tried to go back into 1st, I could physically not put the stick in first, second, or third. It wasn't until I pumped the clutch I was able to get into gear. I am now wondering if the problem is clutch related ... especailly given the comments by Coprolite. Thoughts?
Old 08-02-2012, 07:20 PM
Polar_g37s

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts
Sorry but people like you (ignorant) should not be allowed to buy G37's or any car that I like. You obviously dont know how to drive Manual and should get lessons before you continue driving a G37. The clutch is very unforgiving and takes a bit of time to perfect but its not an impossible task. I drive aggressive quite often and dont have any problems at all and my car has just over 50,000km. So many people complain about the clutch and their problems but the way I see it is get a different car.
Old 08-02-2012, 07:29 PM
dimsler
Registered Member

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts
Lets not go flaming the guy for his driving style, bet you there is a clutch disengagement issue or something wrong with the notorious slave cylinder failure thats causing the pressure plate to not fully release the clutch, which in turn will kill syncros over a few thousand kilometers.

When they swapped the transmission did they check the clutch and pressure plate for abnormal wear? and did the diagnosing mechanic immediately drive another 6spd on the lot to make sure that yours is driving in the same fashion? ie. clutch grabbing at the same height, pedal and shifter feel?
Old 08-02-2012, 08:21 PM
Catashep

Good questions...I will ask when I go back to dealership next Friday. I will say it sometimes "feels" like the the point at which clutch disengages / engages can vary slightly ... could be my imagination. When the tech drove the car when I started having minor grinding issues with new transmission I asked him what else it could possibly be and he said "I suppose the clutch could be a problem"...but he may not have known about what was checked after the transmission failed the first time. Thanks.

Last edited by Catashep; 08-02-2012 at 08:30 PM.
Old 08-02-2012, 08:26 PM
Catashep

Originally Posted by Polar_g37s
Sorry but people like you (ignorant) should not be allowed to buy G37's or any car that I like. You obviously dont know how to drive Manual and should get lessons before you continue driving a G37. The clutch is very unforgiving and takes a bit of time to perfect but its not an impossible task. I drive aggressive quite often and dont have any problems at all and my car has just over 50,000km. So many people complain about the clutch and their problems but the way I see it is get a different car.
That's hilarious. I have been driving MTs since 1980 and have never had a similar issue. What car are you suggesting I buy? Also...an important point as per earlier post...I owned a 2008 G37S for 4 years with no issues (and probably drove it more aggressively than this one).

Last edited by Catashep; 08-02-2012 at 08:45 PM.
Old 08-03-2012, 05:03 AM
used2xb
Registered Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by Catashep
That's hilarious. I have been driving MTs since 1980 and have never had a similar issue. What car are you suggesting I buy? Also...an important point as per earlier post...I owned a 2008 G37S for 4 years with no issues (and probably drove it more aggressively than this one).
Okay, that guy you were responding to was getting a little personal, but I'm guessing people are acting a little defensive over the car we all love. Coupled with not having ever seen your driving style in person nor seeing the problems you've described themselves, they jump to the "user error" conclusion. But asking how you drive is a pretty valid and constructive question in trying to help you diagnose your issues. So try not to get to bent out of shape over it.

Anyways, really hope you figure this all out. And sorry about your car troubles. Do let us know what it turns out to be.
Old 08-03-2012, 09:44 AM
Kidcane
Florida G Club

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
LOL, I guess it is inconceivable that a tranny could go out more then once on our cars. This has happened to a few people on the board so not sure why all the accusations.