Engine, Drivetrain & Forced-Induction
Have Technical Questions or Done Modifications to the G37? Find out the answer in here!

Strange engine whine noise

Search this Thread

Old 07-16-2012, 05:45 PM
JSolo
Just say no!!!!!

Received 588 Likes on 492 Posts
Strange engine whine noise (don't think its trans)

I posted the message below in a different thread, but with some recent developments, it may not be relevant to that thread.

--------------

My music must not have been loud today.

Driving some relatively technical roads with the stereo off, mainly in 3rd/4th gear, I hear this annoying whine from about 2K - 3K rpm. Increases in pitch when accelerating, decreases when slowing down, and steady if at a steady rpm. In higher gears, the road noise drowns this out and it's not as obvious.

The car is a 2012 6mt sedan which just turned 4K miles (not bad for 7 months). 100% stock in terms of engine ecu/intake/exhaust. Normally I drive at lower rpms if in the city, or higher speeds when on the highway. Either way, this is really the first time I noticed this whine. It's not super loud, but with the radio off can be heard quite well. Seems to go away above 3K rpm, but is really pretty much present in every gear.

Is this noise typical and characteristic of this engine/trans, or do I need to waste time at the dealer?
----------

Update:

After some more testing, I'm at a loss.

Per Fezzik's advice, I disengaged the clutch (pedal to the floor) when the whine was present and modulated the throttle (increase and decrease of engine rpm) while driving/car in motion. To my surprise, the whine varied in pitch!

As I understand it, once the clutch is disengaged, the trans and engine are completely decoupled. Nothing on the trans side is spinning at the same rpm as the engine any more. That is, the flywheel is the last bit to be spinning at engine rpm, which is connected to the trans though the friction plate.

This is most puzzling indeed. Stopped by the local dealer and drove with the SM. Fortunately his hearing is good and he was able to hear it right away. Have an appt next week for his head tech guy to give it a listen to.

Reading other threads on here, I thought it might be the ecu whine. However, from the threads, it sounds like that stays at a constant pitch and doesn't vary with engine speed.

This almost sounds like a low amplitude alternator whine, but happening with the stereo off, and above 2K rpm.

I tried recording it, but the cell phone is not sensitive enough to pick it up.

Last edited by JSolo; 07-16-2012 at 06:11 PM.
Old 07-17-2012, 09:54 AM
wattles
Registered Member

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
I had a similar issue. Mine started at about 3.5k RPM, but mine was a accompanied by the in ability to get RPM to rev past 4k RPM. The problem went away after a day.
The whine was very noticeable like I had a supercharger. The only problem is I don't! I have twin turbos lol.
The problem (the limit on the RPM) could not be replicated. We could not find the source for the whine either.
My thoughts matched yours, I fist thought I had blown my 7AT tranny, then found it to be the engine somehow. I still suspect the MAF sensor, but the problem remains a mystery since it went away.

Please post what you find.
Old 07-17-2012, 04:51 PM
JSolo
Just say no!!!!!

If you can't rev past 4K, then your car is in limp mode for whatever reason.

My whine is not necessarily loud, but is noticeable. I guess some people have better/worse high frequency hearing.

I test drove a coupe last night that exhibited a similar noise, but was masked by the louder exhaust. Why the sedan doesn't come stock with a similar exhaust is beyond me.

Anyways, I think this noise is just characteristic of the engine. I'll test drive a few more cars in the area just to make sure (no luck finding a 6mt sedan though).

I was going to hold back on ordering an exhaust, but looks like this is the excuse I needed to get it sooner than later.
Old 08-29-2012, 01:00 PM
akiradavis

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Wow, this is exactly what I was going to post as my first thread, thanks for doing the hard work for me

I just recently picked up a used 08 G37S coupe 6MT and it whines like a supercharger in 1st, 2nd, and possibly 3rd between the RPMs of 2K - 3K. It's very noticeable but only inside the car. Outside, the exhaust over powers the whine.

At first I too also thought its my transmission. I've scheduled a appt with the dealership I brought the car from to recently to find out what is going on. But reading this thread, I can also theorize that its a belt of some sort doing this.

Anyways, once I get so info from the techs I'll update the thread.
Old 08-29-2012, 01:45 PM
JSolo
Just say no!!!!!

Thanks for bumping this thread. I was going to update, but forgot about it.

It seems since ambient temps have cooled around here, I don't hear the noise (or not as noticeable) as before. When it was above 90F, it was very apparent after the car warmed up. It's now been in the low/mid 80's.

Where are you at, and what temps outside?

Btw, I don't think it's a belt. It sounds too high pitch to be a belt.
Old 09-11-2012, 05:47 PM
JSolo
Just say no!!!!!

5400 Miles on the car now, 2nd oil change, penzoil ultra synthetic 5w30. The engine does idle slightly quieter compared to the nissan ester that was put in for the 2nd o/c. However, the fake supercharger is still there once the car gets hot. I'm convinced it's something to do with the vvel. For now i'm not going to do anything, but if it gets louder, the dealer will have to figure out how to correct it.

On a slightly different topic, oil consumption is what i'd call normal. At 3200 miles since last o/c, I added less than 1/4 qt. From the full mark, it was maybe 1cm low (not quite half way). I then put 1K miles over the course of 2 days. Oil level dropped about 3-4mm (these were aggressive miles, technical backroads and ~40% highspeed interstate). So in total, 4150 miles since last o/c and slightly more than 3/4 qt consumption. I do expect it to be less next time as more miles are put on the engine.
Old 09-11-2012, 06:55 PM
Atlbrav1

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I have a 2008 sedan and does the same as what seems to be the same noise as everyone has described. I can only narrow if down to having something to do with the air conditioning. Driving at those low speeds, lower rpm's, try turning the AC off and see if the noise goes away. Mine does go away with the AC off. Still blows cold so I haven't bothered taking it to the dealer, just figured like a few others that it just must be that way.
Old 09-11-2012, 11:51 PM
JSolo
Just say no!!!!!

The noise is present with the AC already off. It's not AC related (unless we're discussing two different noises).
Old 09-12-2012, 12:43 AM
Robby McDonald

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Strange lol, Just yesterday this happened to me and got me worried. I drive a 2012 Auto IPL.
Old 09-12-2012, 12:45 AM
Rad_Slinger

Received 81 Likes on 59 Posts
Power steering pump?
Old 09-21-2012, 03:37 PM
qpham45

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts
If the sound resembles a super charger whining then its your belt tension pulley. I have the same problem and about to replace it. Take a long screw driver and touch the pulley with it then put your ear up to the other end and listen. If its then pulley you will hear the whining noise.
Old 09-21-2012, 04:06 PM
netwiser

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Mattster
Power steering pump?
My 2008 Honda Odyssey sometime does this (exactly at 2 - 3 k rpm) too, dealer said it is caused by power steering pump or coolant pump whatever.
Old 09-21-2012, 04:11 PM
qpham45

The belt tensioner pulley is the main pulley that provides tension to the power steering pump, the upper ilder pulley and the lower idler pulley.
Old 09-21-2012, 06:11 PM
JSolo
Just say no!!!!!

I'll have to try this test one of these days to see if it'll still make the noise when stationary or when moving. If when stationary, then its clearly not trans related and I can probably start poking for where it's coming from.

@qpham45, under what conditions is yours making this noise?
Old 09-25-2012, 10:00 AM
qpham45

I get the noise right when I start up my car its coming from the front where the pulleys are. It's strange too. I just replaced my belt tensioner pulley and belt over the weekend. The noise went away at first then it started right back up. So now I know that its not the belt tensioner pulley. So now I'm thinking that its the power steering pump as Mattster and Netwiser said. I'm going to drain the power steering fluid first before I replace the pump itself to see if the problem still persist.

Quick Reply: Strange engine whine noise