Engine, Drivetrain & Forced-Induction
Have Technical Questions or Done Modifications to the G37? Find out the answer in here!

Check engine light

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-2012, 12:06 PM
tattoo400

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Check engine light

So my check engine light came on and I already know why it was tripped. My question is this.....I ordered a scanner to read and clear the code but I won't receive it until the 5th of July, will it be bad for my G to drive it for about a week with the check engine light on? I know it is basically in "limp home" mode but it feels like it did when it had no trouble codes....should I baby it until I am able to clear the code? Thanks in advance.
Old 06-29-2012, 12:10 PM
Black Betty
Lexus Defector

Received 2,087 Likes on 1,267 Posts
No. The light being on isn't an issue itself. The condition that is causing it is what should concern you. You can go to any number of auto parts stores and get he code read and cleared for free. Or your nearest shop may do it for free or a few bucks.

If your condition is fixed, the light will likely go off by itself in a few hundred miles or less.
Old 06-29-2012, 12:24 PM
DashKid
Banned

Try resetting your ECU. That might clear the code if you're problem is fixed.
Old 06-29-2012, 12:45 PM
2008G-Man

Received 167 Likes on 139 Posts
As I said in your other posts :-) Pep Boys will read/clear it for free. Not sure why you just don't have it towed to the dealer/shop. You say you are spending the money to buy a scanner, so you can take it to the shop and tell them what the code is?
Old 06-29-2012, 01:59 PM
tattoo400

Well the check engine light was tripped due to a large piece of rubber that was sucked into the throttle body (cheap coupler provided by Takeda) and once found and removed the car went back to running as it should so I expect the trouble code to be something related to that. It has not extinguished so far and I will read and clear it once I get the scanner on the 5th....if it's no biggy to drive with it lit up then I will forego having it read and cleared by autozone or any other auto parts retailer. I already disconnected the battery and let it sit for about 2 hours and the CEL is still lit up.
Old 06-29-2012, 02:24 PM
BluestickG

Received 37 Likes on 34 Posts
Unfortunatly auto places like pep boys and auto zone cant clear your codes for free anymore if you live in CA. Some stupid new law... But as long as the problem is fixed and hopefully you have the stock intake back on, then you can reset your ecu and the light will turn off.
Old 06-29-2012, 03:19 PM
tattoo400

True about the fee now charged by autozone or pep boys.....how exactly do you reset the ECU? Disconnect the battery? for how long?
Old 06-29-2012, 03:28 PM
BluestickG

Received 37 Likes on 34 Posts
ya thats how i normally do it. I let it sit for a couple mins. then reconnect it and you should be good to go. You will have to reset the windows tho.

To do that make sure the windows are all the way down and pull up the window buttons till the windows are fully up and then continue to hold for about 5 seconds and your all set. And reset the time.
Old 06-29-2012, 03:32 PM
burunet

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
You can reset it by following the steps in this thread, that's how I did it once I installed my CAI. It seems that some people have a little trouble and have to try it multiple times, but if you follow the video (post #141)you should be able to get it the first time.

https://www.myg37.com/forums/d-i-y-i...isconnect.html

You could disconnect the battery as well, but you'll loose al the radio/seating setting etc.

If you're problem is fixed, you should be getting the error at all.
Old 06-29-2012, 03:35 PM
tattoo400

Yea, I did that yesterday but the CEL is still lit....I really hope that there isn't still a problem after the rubber got sucked into the throttle body! I removed one large chunk of it but I guess if a smaller piece got in....wouldn't it make the car run like crap? it runs and drives fine....just can't extinguish the CEL.....again, I removed the negative battery cable for about 10 minutes and then reset the windows and still the CEL remains....any idea's? I assume the only way I am going to make sure the car is okay is after I can read and clear the code(s) from the car and see if it comes back upon start up.....
Old 06-29-2012, 03:42 PM
Wyldfyer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Autozone, Pep Boys, etc usually have those scanners in stock. Did you order online or something?
Old 06-29-2012, 03:48 PM
tattoo400

Yea, I ordered online and it says I will get it on the 5th....
Old 06-29-2012, 05:00 PM
MPax

I tripped the CEL when I started mine up with one of the MAF sensors still unplugged from a FL change out....
I just unplugged batt for a few mins. opened car door to drain any remaining power stored anywhere....And plugged batt back up.
All good.
If it's a temporary code that is fixed....Like the rubber piece was holding the throttle plate open or closed.....Then the light should stay off after this.

Problem with the gas pedal ECU reset with the engine light on is you'll never really know if you've actually done it successfully because it will still be on when you're done if done wrong.

Hope this helps.
Old 06-29-2012, 05:23 PM
DashKid
Banned

Hmm trying to figure out why you are not talking you're car to Some auto part store to get the code.
Old 06-29-2012, 07:34 PM
tattoo400

I don't want to take it to a place to have them monkey with it when I can just wait for about a week and do it myself.....

Quick Reply: Check engine light