Engine, Drivetrain & Forced-Induction
Have Technical Questions or Done Modifications to the G37? Find out the answer in here!

Oil cooler for daily driver?

Search this Thread

Old 06-23-2012, 09:17 PM
Spanky4888

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Oil cooler for daily driver?

How many of you are running an external oil cooler on your G37s? I live in Texas where it is usually in the low 100s all summer long, and our summers are very long. I just bought an 08' G37s coupe, and am wondering if I should do this mod or just leave it alone. Thanks for the input...

Randy
Old 06-23-2012, 10:36 PM
eljoker

Received 192 Likes on 125 Posts
Wouldn't hurt but prolly wouldn't help a whole lot.
Old 06-23-2012, 11:18 PM
gtracing

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
i just bought one from z1motorsports...it's on sale and is the cheapest i found online for a complete kit....

It comes with a thermostat oil sandwich plate so it allows the oil to warm up properly and keeps it at a constant temperature....

i've had it on my car for about a week now, so far so good, no problems...only thing is i hear a whining sound now from the sandwich plate....and the pitch goes up and down depending on the rpm's (makes sense, since the oil pump is motor driven).....

and i installed it myself, on a scale of 1 to 10, i would say maybe a 7....u'll definitely wish you had a hoist to install it if you don't have access to one...hardest part was running the thick oil lines
Old 06-24-2012, 08:19 AM
Spanky4888

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Do you think is neccasary for me to get the one with the thermostat being that it is always scalding *** hot here?
Old 06-24-2012, 10:09 AM
TVPostSound
Registered Member

Received 115 Likes on 88 Posts
Originally Posted by Spanky4888
Do you think is neccasary for me to get the one with the thermostat being that it is always scalding *** hot here?
You need to understand the concept.

The thermostat is there so you don't run cold oil. Oil needs to be at a certain temperature to flow properly. The thermostat will bypass the oil cooler until it reaches that temperature.
As a daily driver, most likely the oil cooler will be in bypass mode almost always.
Old 06-24-2012, 10:11 AM
TVPostSound
Registered Member

Received 115 Likes on 88 Posts
[QUOTE=gtracing;3475497only thing is i hear a whining sound now from the sandwich plate....and the pitch goes up and down depending on the rpm's (makes sense, since the oil pump is motor driven).....

and i installed it myself, [/QUOTE]

Sounds like a restriction of some sort.
Old 06-25-2012, 12:48 PM
ANMVQ
Registered Member

Received 394 Likes on 343 Posts
I would run one, tracking the car or just a DD, High oil temps will destroy things quickly ,
Old 06-25-2012, 02:58 PM
Black Betty
Lexus Defector

Received 2,087 Likes on 1,267 Posts
I'm seriously considering adding one as well here in TX. Is it absolutely necessary? Probably not under 95% of circumstances. Am I going to go ahead and spend $300 to build a DIY one for the 5% probability of "just in case"? Yes.

If you are reasonably technically adept at working on your car you can build your own form individual components as good or better than the kits from Stillen, Z1 Performance, etc. There's nothing wrong with the ones they sell, in fact they are excellent. But DIY gives you a choice in components and doesn't make you buy Setrab cooler which are great but on the expensive side.
Old 06-25-2012, 04:00 PM
eljoker

Received 192 Likes on 125 Posts
I heard of a few people using old motorcycle radiators and old sidemount intercolors from Volos and retroing them into oil coolers. Making your own shouldn't be hard, most use and adaptor by on the filter to work.
Old 06-26-2012, 01:36 AM
Djfarhan
Registered Member

Received 79 Likes on 65 Posts
is there a DIY thread to do this? i am thinking of getting one for here in the mideast
Old 06-26-2012, 01:44 AM
Tazicon

Received 24 Likes on 23 Posts
I am not running one in the G but I am in the Z. I don't drive the G nearly as hard as I do the Z. I actually used one I had bought for my Jeep, and that reminds me I have a tranny cooler I had bought for the Jeep as well. That should be my next venture with the Z.
Old 06-26-2012, 03:24 PM
gtracing

like most people are saying "do you really need one?" well my answer is also no...i don't NEED an oil cooler, however, it's just a piece of mind for when i do decide to spirit drive it up the mountain or decide one day "yea, i am gonna track it once".....

i also looked at piecing together my own oil cooler. It's easy, however, most of the parts i considered in this oil cooler was identical to the one offered in the z1 kit (Setrab core with mocal thermostat sandwich). It just so happened that the kit was also on sale, and after comparing prices and shipping, etc, it worked out almost the same price! Obviously i chose the kit that came with instructions and all the other misc items, and to top it off, the z1 kit came with mounting brackets for the oil cooler, which isn't supplied if you piece it together on your own.
Old 06-28-2012, 01:53 PM
gtracing

Originally Posted by TVPostSound
Sounds like a restriction of some sort.
sorry for the late reply, but yea it does, however after searching on google, i found that a lot of other cars running aftermarket oil coolers also have the same noise. It's just the oil flowing through the lines and through the restrictive fittings, etc that causes the noise. Since it's under pressure, it doesn't really make a difference in terms of flow and performance
Old 06-30-2012, 02:25 AM
Track Bandit

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts
Oil cooler noise?

Never heard this before from an oil cooler setup. Does this occur with the Z1 kit, GTM's kit and others as well? I've installed oil coolers on numerous cars in the past and never noticed any noise coming from them due to oil coursing through the lines or the oil cooler itself. What gives?

Al

Update 7/12/12
Just installed GTM's oil cooler kit for my 2012 G37S and have noticed no strange whirring noises and such after the installation. Also switching to full synthetic oil also seems to make the engine run a slight bit smoother. I have anecdotal evidence that the cooler seems to be doing it's job. When I finish using the car and park it in the garage, I always open the hood to allow the engine to cool without cooking everything else in the engine compartment or the hood. Seems to me that the amount of high heat from the engine seems to have diminished. The engine compartment just doesn't seem as "HOT" as it once was. I've also noticed that a battery recharging plug I installed when I first bought the car, no longer feels very hot or soft right after driving the car and when I connect it to the battery charger. Again all these observations are anecdotal since I have no way of checking engine oil temp. right now but I'm a believer in the benefits of the oil cooler in lowering the oil temps.

Last edited by Track Bandit; 07-18-2012 at 04:24 PM.