Engine, Drivetrain & Forced-Induction
Have Technical Questions or Done Modifications to the G37? Find out the answer in here!

Engine running rough after filter cleaning

Search this Thread

Old 06-15-2012, 06:55 PM
Namir
Registered Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Engine running rough after filter cleaning

Hey guys I have the Injen CAI and last weekend I took off the air filters and rinsed them with water and let them air dry. The filters are blue and per injens website they are oil free or "dry" filters so I didn't oil them before reinstalling. I drove the car a couple times this week without issue but today after about 1 minute of just getting on the road the engine started to run really rough and felt down on power. I could feel the engine shake through the tranny the CEL came on. I Unplugged the battery to reset the ecu but it continued to misfire. I was close enough that I drove the car gingerly home but on the way it went back to normal. Doesn't sound like its misfiring now. Car has 22k on it. I checked the intakes and everything is plugged in and hooked up tight no obvious leaks. What else could be causing my misfire? I don't think I have enough miles to have issues with spark plugs fuel injectors head gasket etc. Is it most likely something from messing with the filters? I'm debating whether I should call Infiniti roadside right now or wait until Monday and take it in.

Any advice? Thanks in advance.

Last edited by Namir; 06-16-2012 at 02:03 AM.
Old 06-15-2012, 07:05 PM
Kidcane
Florida G Club

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Did you check the MAF sensor out pretty good?
Old 06-15-2012, 07:59 PM
CodeG

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Your car has distributor cap and plug wires? Is this a 1996 Camaro or something? Go to Autozone and read your CEL code. That will tell you what is wrong with your car.
Old 06-16-2012, 02:04 AM
Namir
Registered Member

Haha my mistake codeG. Yeah I'll take it to autozone but will it tell me anything other than misfire on cylinder X?
Old 06-16-2012, 02:05 AM
Namir
Registered Member

Oh and I checked that the MAF was still snug in place but I didn't pull it out to examine it and replug it. Will check tomorrow.
Old 06-16-2012, 05:53 AM
Polar_g37s

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts
Maybe dirt and water got onto your maf sensor. Air drying the filters is not enough in my opinion.
Old 06-16-2012, 12:49 PM
Namir
Registered Member

What would recommend then polar? It's been a week I figured they're dry by now.
Old 06-16-2012, 01:26 PM
JSolo
Just say no!!!!!

Received 588 Likes on 492 Posts
Originally Posted by CodeG
Your car has distributor cap and plug wires? Is this a 1996 Camaro or something? Go to Autozone and read your CEL code. That will tell you what is wrong with your car.
How did you deduce the car in question was a camaro? I reread the first post several times and found no such references...

To the OP, did you disconnect the MAF connectors at all? Maybe it needs an idle reset...
Old 06-16-2012, 02:19 PM
Namir
Registered Member

Jsolo I edited the post and took out my dumb comment. I referenced a distributor cap and spark plug wires.
I didn't touch the MAF sensors only the cone filters.

Update: had the codes read at autozone and it said multiple misfires. Going to just get it checked out by a mechanic.
Old 06-18-2012, 08:38 AM
soundmike

Received 36 Likes on 29 Posts
Multiple misfires can be by caused by hydrolock.

How long did you air-dry the filter before putting it back on?

FWIW, the Amsoil filter that Injen uses are not washable. You're supposed to just vacuum/blow on it -- AMSOIL Ea Synthetic Nanofiber Air Filter (EaA)

It's possible the filter was still fairly damp, or washing it with water may have deteriorated the filter element and eventually got sucked into the engine.

Just guesses here, though. Better get that engine checked before further damage is caused.
Old 06-18-2012, 09:04 AM
Namir
Registered Member

Originally Posted by soundmike
Multiple misfires can be by caused by hydrolock.

How long did you air-dry the filter before putting it back on?

FWIW, the Amsoil filter that Injen uses are not washable. You're supposed to just vacuum/blow on it -- AMSOIL Ea Synthetic Nanofiber Air Filter (EaA)

It's possible the filter was still fairly damp, or washing it with water may have deteriorated the filter element and eventually got sucked into the engine.

Just guesses here, though. Better get that engine checked before further damage is caused.
Mike thanks for the link. I had seen instructions that's said to rinse but I probably should have just vacuumed. I agree that definitely could be the case but it sat for a week before this happened so I wasn't expecting it. Intakes are off the car now and it's never had an issue since then. Sounds like a one time thing but I'm taking it to the shop today to have them check everything.