Engine, Drivetrain & Forced-Induction
Have Technical Questions or Done Modifications to the G37? Find out the answer in here!

Weird idle noise????

Search this Thread

Old 05-31-2012, 06:35 PM
FootLong

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Weird idle noise????

Guys, i have something weird going on with my idle. It does not run ruff. According to the tach, I idle at about 600rpms. Now every once in a while (don't know what triggers it: driving conditions that is), the idle will raise about 50-100 (according to the tach), and there will be a tapping noise. I can only hear it at idle. When the car revs up, the noise goes away until it drops back to idle. The weird thing is that when I turn off the car and turn it back on, the idle goes back to 600rpms and that tapping noise goes away. I have no way to reproduce it, and it is happening more frequently lately. I dont feel like it affects the performance, and the car runs smooth either way.

1)after i did some research, is it the tsb that reprograms the vvel that sounds like this situation?

2)is it bad for the car, or am I just getting paranoid?
Old 06-01-2012, 07:36 AM
FootLong

Bueller???
Old 06-01-2012, 08:07 AM
Can'tGme

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts
Mine has something like a flywheel chatter when I'm in neutral and the clutch not pushed in. I push the clutch and the noise goes away. I don't know if your's is like that but..
Old 06-01-2012, 08:44 AM
Rad_Slinger

Received 81 Likes on 59 Posts
Could be your cats going. Would sound a little like marbles in a tin can if the inside of the cats was broken off rattling around. You would also notice a performance drop for certain though. Should feel like when you press on the gas it just doesn't go anywhere...but takes a while to get up to speed. You would also notice your gas mileage drop. I do realize youre not having any performance problems...I didn't at first either and then it got worse when this happened to my old explorer.

IF it is your cats, DO NOT have them replaced at the stealership with OEM. Get HFC...It will be cheaper. I learned that the hard way with my old explorer.
Old 06-01-2012, 11:43 AM
Weiboy718

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Sounds more like the VVEL ticking to me. I used to have this noise similar to what the OP had described. Brought it into the dealer they flashed my ecu and dumped some ester oil in my engine, noise never came back. Soon after I switched to full synthetic oil which has some ester base in it and so far so good!
Old 06-02-2012, 11:19 AM
FootLong

thanks guys for the help. Weiboy, were you able to replicate the noise to the dealer? Like I said before, it only happens sometimes, but more frequently now. Also, does anyone know if its bad for the motor if its not fixed, or is this noise just something annoying?