Engine, Drivetrain & Forced-Induction
Have Technical Questions or Done Modifications to the G37? Find out the answer in here!

Uprev or Cobb?

Search this Thread

Old 06-10-2012, 01:59 PM
seymore4
Registered Member

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally Posted by RedG37SNC
Handy for one, saved my butt when I took my car for a Fob reprogramming. CONSULT-III wouldn't recognize my ECU due to the tune and they had apparently got far enough to wipe my FOBs... DOH! Fortunately I had the little bugger in the car like American Express and was able to uninstall and complete the FOB programming and then re-install the tune. Anyone had a FOB reprogrammed with Uprev Tune, be curious if Consult-III would have the same issue.

Next to that a handy device for OBD monitoring, datalogging, and ECU reset. I'd put the tune I got with it up against any results from Uprev. I do like Uprev's faster programming and cruise control map swap feature. I wouldn't say Cobb is better but it depends on your needs or year of G37 actually, for many Cobb isn't even an option. For those that don't switch maps, have an early model G37 and prefer a OBD monitor and the portability, I wouldn't trade it.
True that did work out for you, but anyone with an Osiris cable can reflash their car back to stock in a minute or two if that was an issue. Would be inconvenient to drive back home however.

You know you can monitor anything you want with cipher, right?

I've spoke to several guys and seen several cars on the dyno before/after cobb switching to uprev and they were all impressed, according to the tuner uprev gives you way more control over what you can tune. Know another guy who called cobb asking about tuning support and they actually referred him to uprev.
Old 06-10-2012, 08:29 PM
RedG37SNC

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by seymore4
True that did work out for you, but anyone with an Osiris cable can reflash their car back to stock in a minute or two if that was an issue. Would be inconvenient to drive back home however.

You know you can monitor anything you want with cipher, right?

I've spoke to several guys and seen several cars on the dyno before/after cobb switching to uprev and they were all impressed, according to the tuner uprev gives you way more control over what you can tune. Know another guy who called cobb asking about tuning support and they actually referred him to uprev.
Sure, but being in a little device you easily mount and keep in the car is a lot more convienent then keeping a laptop in the car. Kind of hard to put it in the drivers arm rest or mount it where you don't have to take your eyes off the road to read the display.

In the end you get about 20-25Whp with NA mods and tune. Cobb can get you there and so can uprev, there's really no merit to the claim uprev tunes better.

I'm sure many tuners would prefer to work with Uprev over Cobb, the speed of updates is a definate advantage. Both do live updates but the final burn took like 7-8 mins with the Cobb, uprev probably would take 1-2. You spend about 4 hours doing a tune, after that you live with it and the features for the life of car.

With my FOBs wiped I don't think we would even have been able to start the car. There's a real avantage with always having the option to uninstall available, I don't think your average Uprev owner drives around with a loptop and Osiris in car and you never know when you'll need to uninstall your tune.