Engine, Drivetrain & Forced-Induction
Have Technical Questions or Done Modifications to the G37? Find out the answer in here!

Z1 Motorsport Driveshaft B4 / After Dyno G35

Search this Thread

Old 05-17-2012, 09:57 AM
SharpByCoop

Received 56 Likes on 48 Posts
Originally Posted by Modme
As stated earlier, one piece drive shaft will increase Noise, Vibration, and Harshness (NVH). The Infiniti car line is catered towards people who want a combination of performance and luxury. Noise and vibration reduction is a priority. Therefore, a two piece drive shaft is used.
Weight reduction would help on acceleration, but the added weight of the OEM steel shaft acts like a flywheel and holds momentum, making the car smoother when rolling off the throttle.

Smooth and quiet. The Infiniti style.

That said, I'm really hedging towards this upgrade. Hope the Auto ones are available soon.

Coop
Old 05-17-2012, 06:13 PM
Staples

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Well, my drive shaft came in and was also installed today. I'll be able to give you a better review of it in the next few days to come. The supercharger kit is done and it has to be driven easy for the next 50 - 75 miles for the blower to break in, afterward, it's on to the Dyno.
Old 05-18-2012, 06:19 AM
G37Sam
Administrator

Received 243 Likes on 193 Posts
Nice!

Looking forward to your review!
Old 05-18-2012, 08:02 AM
ANMVQ
Registered Member

Received 394 Likes on 343 Posts
Originally Posted by Staples
Well, my drive shaft came in and was also installed today. I'll be able to give you a better review of it in the next few days to come. The supercharger kit is done and it has to be driven easy for the next 50 - 75 miles for the blower to break in, afterward, it's on to the Dyno.

This I'm deffintly in FOR,, I you show impressive gains, I'm going to get them to make one for the X coupe..
Old 05-18-2012, 09:17 AM
Black Betty
Lexus Defector

Received 2,087 Likes on 1,267 Posts
So if you don't have a before and after dyno with only the shaft, how will you be able to tell any gains specifically from it? Am I not understanding correctly?
Old 05-18-2012, 10:19 AM
SharpByCoop

BB: This whole dyno review is fishy, to say the least. LOL!

Coop
Old 05-18-2012, 10:34 AM
Black Betty
Lexus Defector

I don't know if anything is fishy Coop, I just want a simple direct before and after dyno that shows what the exact gains are. The one with 16 runs in between seems a bit odd. I can't say for sure that anything's wrong with it, but if it were a gallon of milk in the fridge, I might opt to throw it out rather than drink it even though I really want a bowl of Cheerios. Then again I might pour it up. Undecided.

Then Staples is going to dyno it and I'd trust him to post an honest dyno since he's been in the community for a while and he's a known quantity. But unless I am misunderstanding his post, he will have no before dyno to compare it to! That will be cool for him to see what his SC G is putting down, but useless to determine how much of his gains came from the shaft.

Still going to wait a while.
Old 05-18-2012, 11:42 AM
ANMVQ
Registered Member

Blacl betty good catch, I thought he had a base pull already with his SC, I'm probaly wrong, Tho.. Ah,, The whole 16 runs between is ?? more me also.. Eat the Cheerios with water.. LOL
Old 05-18-2012, 12:41 PM
Staples

Unfortunately, I won't really have a before Dyno to compare it to, you're right. I have talked to Sam @ GTM to figure out the exact amount of boost I should be seeing on the car and to see what his Dyno reads on his canned tune, because Hill's Garage is very similar. I know, temperature, altitude ya-da ya-da.

I HAVE NO DOUBT in my mind that this mod makes great power, I knew that well before buying it and even before it was available. An Aluminum driveshaft IS NOT new in the automotive industry as everyone knows. When you're able to reduce rotational mass, you're able to put more power to the ground.

I'm not going to BS you when I say this, but this may just in fact be one of the best money to power mods you could do to your car.

Now, on another note for everyone that has been asking questions about "whining" or "humming" while driving, stay tuned.

Guys, take it with a grain of salt because this is brand new. It will make power, though.
Old 05-18-2012, 12:52 PM
Black Betty
Lexus Defector

Thanks for the reply and explanation Staples. I understand the situation you are in, even though everybody in the community wants one, sometimes a direct before/after comparison dyno for completely objective data just isn't possible. It's OK that you are personally letting the entire forum down. LOL, JK.

You may be right about this being one of the best bang for the buck mods out there. Especially as far as everyday drivability and the difference it will make under almost every condition you drive under, normal or spirited. That's why I'm itchy to get more guys with them on their cars. The dyno is great to see torque gain numbers, but I'm just as interested if not more so to get some miles on this thing and see how it behaves, noise and vibration, etc. Ecain18 commented on his, but his "barely noticeable on deceleration" assessment may be "My God this sounds like a hive of angry bees!" in another guy's opinion. It's subjective so the more owners that report, the better.

I'm going to just have to eat dry Cheerio's for a while I guess.
Old 05-18-2012, 01:05 PM
Staples

Originally Posted by Black Betty
Thanks for the reply and explanation Staples. I understand the situation you are in, even though everybody in the community wants one, sometimes a direct before/after comparison dyno for completely objective data just isn't possible. It's OK that you are personally letting the entire forum down. LOL, JK.

You may be right about this being one of the best bang for the buck mods out there. Especially as far as everyday drivability and the difference it will make under almost every condition you drive under, normal or spirited. That's why I'm itchy to get more guys with them on their cars. The dyno is great to see torque gain numbers, but I'm just as interested if not more so to get some miles on this thing and see how it behaves, noise and vibration, etc. Ecain18 commented on his, but his "barely noticeable on deceleration" assessment may be "My God this sounds like a hive of angry bees!" in another guy's opinion. It's subjective so the more owners that report, the better.

I'm going to just have to eat dry Cheerio's for a while I guess.
I couldn't agree more with this post, entirely. Everyone's opinion is going to be different when it comes to mods on their car. My opinion, my exhaust wasn't that loud, from the outside it was extremely loud by others opinion. I had the JWT flywheel, to me, it was too loud when letting the clutch out in neutral. I ended up going back to the stock flywheel long story short.

I will post my review of it in terms of sound when I hear it for the first time, and a few thousand miles down the road. If it's anything like the Mustang aluminum driveshaft, then honestly the transmission chatter will still be louder then this thing, which everyone with a 6MT has to live with anyway.
Old 05-18-2012, 01:22 PM
ANMVQ
Registered Member

Thanx for all the info Staples, Just hope "if" makes very good power I realy hope they make a X shaft too. I know there are only a few of us out there, But being one of the very few( if not only?- Coupe tho for sure) FI'd I would defintily look at something like this.
Old 05-18-2012, 02:18 PM
Black Betty
Lexus Defector

Originally Posted by Staples
I couldn't agree more with this post, entirely. Everyone's opinion is going to be different when it comes to mods on their car. My opinion, my exhaust wasn't that loud, from the outside it was extremely loud by others opinion. I had the JWT flywheel, to me, it was too loud when letting the clutch out in neutral. I ended up going back to the stock flywheel long story short.

I will post my review of it in terms of sound when I hear it for the first time, and a few thousand miles down the road. If it's anything like the Mustang aluminum driveshaft, then honestly the transmission chatter will still be louder then this thing, which everyone with a 6MT has to live with anyway.
Good point. My aftermarket flywheel/clutch are pretty loud and while I don't like it I've learned to live with it. Thanks again.
Old 05-18-2012, 04:09 PM
SharpByCoop

I like honesty and clarification. Staples, you've delivered all of that.

BB: Right on.

Thanks. I'm also willing to forego some smoothness for a percentage gain. On my wish list.

Coop
Old 05-18-2012, 05:44 PM
Staples

I was fortunate enough to drive my car today for a few miles. I didn't hear any hums, whines or pops at all. I had to stay out of boost for the proper break in, but I was able to get up to 4th gear. I did notice take off is a lot easier, though.

We'll see when it's on the Dyno if there are any issues.

Quick Reply: Z1 Motorsport Driveshaft B4 / After Dyno G35