Engine, Drivetrain & Forced-Induction
Have Technical Questions or Done Modifications to the G37? Find out the answer in here!

grinding/scratching sound when switching gears

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-2012, 03:21 PM
PQ16

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
grinding/scratching sound when switching gears

Hey all,
I have an 09 G37 S 6mt w/ 21500 miles.. This is really the first probelm I've had with it and not really sure what to make of it.
When switching from 1-2, 2-3 and 3-4 there is a loud grinding/scratching sound. Even when downshifting, if my clutch is to the ground this sound comes in as soon as the gear is put in and won't stop until the clutch is released. Any ideas? I'm not sure if its the syncros or forks.. Maybe they're not catching properly or if its the tranny/clutch all together. Either way, I have a few months left on my warranty and I really hope its covered. Let me know what you guys think, thanks in advance.
Old 05-03-2012, 03:30 PM
TwoThree

Received 51 Likes on 41 Posts
I personally am not sure what it is, maybe someone else will know, but either way it doesn't really matter. Get that thing into the dealer ASAP just make sure you note that you hear an internal grinding when shifting in the transmission. We don't open the transmissions up at the dealer. If theres an issue, the entire thing is swapped, minus the clutch and flywheel. Entirely covered under warranty aside from the 2 parts I just mentioned.
Old 05-03-2012, 04:08 PM
SwissCheeseHead

Received 87 Likes on 65 Posts
Originally Posted by TwoThree
I personally am not sure what it is, maybe someone else will know, but either way it doesn't really matter. Get that thing into the dealer ASAP just make sure you note that you hear an internal grinding when shifting in the transmission. We don't open the transmissions up at the dealer. If theres an issue, the entire thing is swapped, minus the clutch and flywheel. Entirely covered under warranty aside from the 2 parts I just mentioned.
+1 million. Unless you're shifting wrong, you don't want to trouble shoot a job like this yourself. Get to the dealership asap and have them re-create the sound. Then get it replaced.
Old 05-03-2012, 04:20 PM
TwoThree

Received 51 Likes on 41 Posts
The dealer will pretty much go off you word, as long as you can re-create the noise as swiss cheese said. The transmission isn't disassembled and inspected and individual parts replaced like you would think, well at least I did, but simply swapped for a new one. Then the old one is shipped out to HQ where its inspected. At the very worst, the dealer will eat the cost if Nissan Corp rejects the core. Regardless, you will be safe and in the clear with a new transmission and worry free.
Old 05-03-2012, 05:59 PM
PQ16

I don't know if it's the tranny though, i got the earliest appointment at my dealership monday.. tomorrow im taking it into my mechanic for him to take a look at it before the dealership.. if he says its the actual clutch or anything.. then it wont be covered under warranty so it may be a total waste of time for me to go to the dealership.
Will see what happens though, thanks for your input guys.
If anyone else has ever run into this problem pls post about it and let me know.
Old 05-03-2012, 06:02 PM
JSolo
Just say no!!!!!

Received 590 Likes on 494 Posts
Do you feel the grinding in your foot or in the shifter or neither?

Does the pitch change with higher/lower rpms?

What about reverse?
Old 05-03-2012, 06:08 PM
PQ16

i feel it on my foot and on the shifter + the sound is LOUD.
Loudest when im coming out of third and down shifting into second.. the sound is loud and harsh until i release the clutch.. pitch doesn't change at all.
I'm thinking it could be a throw out bearing? i'm not entirely sure.
Old 05-03-2012, 06:11 PM
Modme
Registered Member

Received 80 Likes on 56 Posts
It's the synchros. Nissan/Infiniti trannys are well known for this problem. If you shift slowly, or double clutch during shifting, the crunching is alleviated.

At first, it only happens occasionally. With time, the problem becomes more and more frequent. Take your car in for a tranny replacement. It should be covered under warranty.
Old 05-03-2012, 06:12 PM
JSolo
Just say no!!!!!

Received 590 Likes on 494 Posts
What about neutral? Standing still, clutch to the floor.

I'd guess a throw out bearing too. I would think if it were syncro's, there would be some correlation between rpms and pitch of noise.

No noise going 4-5 or 5-6? If so, then it's not the throwout, but likely the syncro's.
Old 05-03-2012, 06:15 PM
Modme
Registered Member

Received 80 Likes on 56 Posts
Originally Posted by PQ16
i feel it on my foot and on the shifter + the sound is LOUD.
Loudest when im coming out of third and down shifting into second.. the sound is loud and harsh until i release the clutch.. pitch doesn't change at all.
I'm thinking it could be a throw out bearing? i'm not entirely sure.
If it's a synchro problem, the crunch happens only when you shift into a gear. The sound does not continue until you let go of the clutch. If your sound is happening continuously, then you might have a different problem. Does it make the sound when you are in neutral with clutch depressed?
Old 05-03-2012, 06:23 PM
PQ16

No sound in neutral, and 5th is very very very minimal and 6th nothing.
The sound only comes from 2,3,4 when the clutch is to the ground. wether shifting up or down. and reverse, no sound either.
Old 05-03-2012, 06:26 PM
PQ16

i thought it was the synchros too but from what i'm hearing and the timing of the sound w/ the engaging of the clutch, i don't think it coudl be that. it's as if something isn't catching and instead of being in its proper spot is rubbing against something - not sure but that's the sound.
Took my pops for a ride around the block to give him an idea of what i was talking about and he thinks it could possibly be the throw out bearing or the synchros as well.

Cold starts - no sound
After the car has been driven for a little bit and the car is all warmed up, the sound gradually gets worse and worse
Old 05-03-2012, 09:59 PM
Wyldfyer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Sorry you are having an issue, bro!

FYI: Just so we can troubleshoot and trend what happens with these cars, it wouldn't be a bad idea to mention what your driving habits are. You do have very low miles though so it is interesting that you have any issue at all. The good thing is, I believe you will be covered!

I for one would like to know if there is a potential issue that is germane to our cars under normal driving, or if the results of some of the clutch/transmission problems that Im reading about is consistent with aggressive driving.

Oh yeah... just my opinion. If you are going to be driving your car until Monday, I wouldn't do too much downshifting.

Let us now what the dealer says and good luck!
Old 05-04-2012, 01:01 PM
PQ16

Driving habits are not bad at all! I take care of my babe as much as I can, this is why I can't believe this! May 11 will be 1 year with this car in my possession.. i bought it with 13000 miles on it and didn't even drive it this winter... I'm tripping out over here lol
Old 05-04-2012, 03:17 PM
Wyldfyer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Thats incredibly low miles to have an issue. But it'll work out, bro!