Engine, Drivetrain & Forced-Induction
Have Technical Questions or Done Modifications to the G37? Find out the answer in here!

Why no AWD manual transmission?

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-2012, 11:06 PM
owslystnly

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Why no AWD manual transmission?

Just curious. Seems to be a trend amongst most manufacturers (except Subaru and maybe Audi).

And even worse if you are looking for a diesel.

I lived in Belgium for 2 years. While I don't miss much, I do miss the diesels, MT's, fries, beer, and chocolate. Waffles too sometimes.

I love my 6MT Sedan (that I am selling if anybody wants to buy), but if I could have gotten the 6MT with AWD up here in the great white north, I would have (although with real snowtires, not the performance ones, it's ok....real problem with it is the tire width and amount of power to the rear wheels, hard to downsize them with the big brakes)
Old 04-27-2012, 04:39 AM
6mtg37s
Registered Member

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts
It would be great to have an AWD 6MT. Infiniti should do this for the next generation G.
Old 04-27-2012, 12:14 PM
owslystnly

The Juke is another offender. And the CX-5. Not that I've been looking around at these vehicles.

Also disappointing about most current manuals is the shorter gearing and worse efficiency than automagics.

*sigh*

Maybe I'll just have to keep my G
Old 04-27-2012, 12:30 PM
Rochester
Administrator

Received 4,711 Likes on 3,519 Posts
Originally Posted by owslystnly
Just curious. Seems to be a trend amongst most manufacturers (except Subaru and maybe Audi).
Definitely Audi. They offer a 6MT up and down the model line.

I briefly considered the A4 2.0T 6MT before deciding on the G, but after driving the car, I have to say... the car was stupidly boring. A floaty, detached feedback from the suspension, a weak clutch, and an unresponsive throttle. It's a salesman's car, not a driver's car. For that, you have to step up to the S4. But that carries with it an unacceptable (and indefensible) price tag.

You keep saying you want to sell your car, but I think you'd be hard-pressed to find something equivalent that satisfies both your values and your pocketbook.
Old 04-27-2012, 12:31 PM
TeRRoRiFiC35

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Most companies are starting to trend away from manual transmissions. Look at the GTR, Nissans premier sports car, it only comes in auto manual with tiptronic. Ferrari doesn't even offer a manual transmission anymore. Lamborghini has also been steering away from the manual transmission.
Old 04-27-2012, 01:00 PM
jddssc121

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by TeRRoRiFiC35
Most companies are starting to trend away from manual transmissions. Look at the GTR, Nissans premier sports car, it only comes in auto manual with tiptronic. Ferrari doesn't even offer a manual transmission anymore. Lamborghini has also been steering away from the manual transmission.
It is not an auto manual w/ tiptronic. It's a dual clutch setup. There is a large difference.
Old 04-27-2012, 01:01 PM
jddssc121

https://www.myg37.com/forums/3364650-post29.html
Old 04-27-2012, 02:04 PM
owslystnly

You keep saying you want to sell your car, but I think you'd be hard-pressed to find something equivalent that satisfies both your values and your pocketbook.
While this is largely true, the other half can't drive stick very well, the G isn't the best car for her to learn on, and there's no way she could ever drive this in the winter. Life's full of these compromises. She wants a little SUV with a sunroof. I'm trying to find something that won't make me want to kill myself when we go on road trips together, like her Cobalt makes me want to do.

If I can talk her out of an SUV and into a wagon/hatch, then the G is probably safe. What gets me tho, is that once you start adding options to a mazda3 hatch (or mazdaspeed3), or a WRX, you are encroaching, if not outright entering, G territory. And then we're talking not as much power, same efficiency, questionable interior comforts.
Old 04-27-2012, 02:10 PM
Rochester
Administrator

While this is largely true, the other half can't drive stick very well, the G isn't the best car for her to learn on, and there's no way she could ever drive this in the winter. Life's full of these compromises. She wants a little SUV with a sunroof. I'm trying to find something that won't make me want to kill myself when we go on road trips together, like her Cobalt makes me want to do.

If I can talk her out of an SUV and into a wagon/hatch, then the G is probably safe. What gets me tho, is that once you start adding options to a mazda3 hatch (or mazdaspeed3), or a WRX, you are encroaching, if not outright entering, G territory. And then we're talking not as much power, same efficiency, questionable interior comforts.
You can get a 6MT in the VW Tiguan. That's an inexpensive, high-mileage, stylish and practical SUV for her... and fun-2-drive for you.

And really, how difficult would it be to drive a 6MT Tiguan? (Not very)
Old 04-27-2012, 02:23 PM
owslystnly

I generally harbor a lot of ill-will for VW/Audi.

That was a vehicle I hadn't considered. Might be worth a look. Certainly can't hurt to take a test drive. Maybe grind a few gears. (edit: according to VW website, Tiguan only AWD for auto tranny)

I'm not completely opposed to an automatic. I'm more wondering why AWD+MT don't go together. While market forces may dictate this as JDDSSC121 alludes to, it doesn't seem to bother subaru.
Old 04-27-2012, 02:30 PM
Rochester
Administrator

it doesn't seem to bother subaru.
The new Subaru BRZ is RWD-only.

Just saying.
Old 04-27-2012, 02:44 PM
canucklehead

Received 142 Likes on 125 Posts
I'm more wondering why AWD+MT don't go together. While market forces may dictate this as JDDSSC121 alludes to, it doesn't seem to bother subaru.
i'm no marketing guy, but it likely comes down to demand, and market research by Infiniti. they see how many 6MTs they sell, and the people who purchase them. for arguments sake, if they sell 6MTs in 10-15% of coupes, and 5% of sedans (based on my observations at local dealers) then they will further scale down for the AWD models. if 1/2 of 6MT buyers would choose AWD then the numbers are very small for the 6MT/AWD market. does this make sense for production, and dealer inventory?

also, the AWD transmission would need to be re-engineered for the application. R&D and related costs may not balance based on the limited prospective demand.

of course, to gearheads like us it doesn't make any sense! a disproportionate number of us would love the 6MT/AWD configuration.

Last edited by canucklehead; 04-27-2012 at 04:17 PM.
Old 04-27-2012, 02:44 PM
owslystnly

This is very very true. Also, I think for Subaru you could say it is an outlier. I don't think subaru has been making much 2WD stuff since the Loyale.

Also, meant to comment on Audi. While they do offer 6MT all over their lineup...they are generally incredibly front heavy vehicles that I wouldn't dare ever own out of warranty (that warranty bit applies to VW as well)

Last edited by owslystnly; 04-27-2012 at 02:50 PM. Reason: forgot about audi
Old 04-27-2012, 02:55 PM
Rochester
Administrator

Originally Posted by canucklehead
of course, to gearheads like us it doesn't make any sense! a disproportionate number of use would love the 6MT/AWD configuration.
For precise and controlled handling, sure. But sometimes a little over-steer can be a whole lot of fun. Not that I'm in the habit of driving around with Stability Control disabled, I'm just saying it's a rush to make the back end wiggle, and have Stability Control slap you on the wrist. It's a more refined example of what you get in the Mustang GT and Camaro SS... which are big, over-steering toys. And doubtful you'll ever see AWD on cars like that.

Everyone has different values in a car. Personally, I love where the G-Sedan 6MT measures up. Perfect car for me right now.
Old 04-27-2012, 06:19 PM
Marc Collins

Audi and Subaru are mechanical AWD systems. Everyone else, including Nissan, use electronic systems and those work better with automatic or DSG transmissions.

Quick Reply: Why no AWD manual transmission?