Engine, Drivetrain & Forced-Induction
Have Technical Questions or Done Modifications to the G37? Find out the answer in here!

Why no AWD manual transmission?

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-2012, 09:10 PM
Meanie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by owslystnly
While this is largely true, the other half can't drive stick very well, the G isn't the best car for her to learn on, and there's no way she could ever drive this in the winter. Life's full of these compromises. She wants a little SUV with a sunroof. I'm trying to find something that won't make me want to kill myself when we go on road trips together, like her Cobalt makes me want to do.

If I can talk her out of an SUV and into a wagon/hatch, then the G is probably safe. What gets me tho, is that once you start adding options to a mazda3 hatch (or mazdaspeed3), or a WRX, you are encroaching, if not outright entering, G territory. And then we're talking not as much power, same efficiency, questionable interior comforts.
It won't answer your 6 MT desire, but what about an EX? My 2010 xS was totalled a couple of months ago and I bought an 11 EX. I just couldn't find anything else that could approach the handling of a G. Yes, it is a little down on power, is 7AT, and leans a bit, but it handles really well when you push it, especially with the 19 in Turanzas. The interior, if anything, is even more plush than the G. Backseat room kinda sucks though. They asre not big sellers and you can get some fabulous deals, especially on leftovers, but probably have to wait for the 12s for that.
Old 04-29-2012, 05:45 PM
jddssc121

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
3 series come in AWD + manual. With a little luck, you can find a coupe in manual... But the sedans with manual are like a Unicorn. You are almost guaranteed to have to factory order it. When I bought my X5 I asked they guy why don't they stock the 3 series sedan in manual. He said demand is WAY too low to have it in inventory. They factory order when someone wants it, but that's it. I just did a quick check - not one BMW dealer within 75 miles of my house has a single 3 series sedan in manual in stock. Lazy Americans!!
Old 04-29-2012, 10:13 PM
visualguy

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by jddssc121
I just did a quick check - not one BMW dealer within 75 miles of my house has a single 3 series sedan in manual in stock. Lazy Americans!!
Dealers don't stock them because they don't sell well-enough, and they become magnets for people who want to test drive a 6MT BMW just to experience it, and without the intention to buy.

Europeans aren't really into manual in high-end cars. Manual is popular in low-end cars there, not in expensive performance cars where Europeans prefer a good DCT or auto.

Japanese aren't that much into manual either - the G37 6MT sedan isn't offered in Japan. Only the coupe is offered with 6MT over there.

It's actually American purists who insist on manual, and also the American automotive press is biased toward manual for some reason. BMW is forced to make a US-only 6MT option on some cars such as the new M5 because Americans insist on it.

As someone who has driven BMWs equipped with 6MT, 7-speed DCT, and 8-speed ZF trannies, I have to say that it's hard to justify going with the 6MT unless you're a die-hard old-school type.
Old 04-29-2012, 11:10 PM
owslystnly

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
It's actually American purists who insist on manual, and also the American automotive press is biased toward manual for some reason.
I'd be interested in seeing the failure/repair rate of automatic transmissions vs manuals.

Additionally, if manual's were geared more towards efficiency than the short sporty gearing (or keep the short sporty gearing with a larger 6th cog), generally manual's would be more efficient.

I don't simply want a manual transmission just so I can row my own gears (although I do like it).
Old 04-29-2012, 11:48 PM
visualguy

I'd be interested in seeing the failure/repair rate of automatic transmissions vs manuals.

Additionally, if manual's were geared more towards efficiency than the short sporty gearing (or keep the short sporty gearing with a larger 6th cog), generally manual's would be more efficient.

I don't simply want a manual transmission just so I can row my own gears (although I do like it).
Don't have the failure rates, but manual clutches certainly tend to wear out long before auto trannies show any problems. Also, it's much easier to damage your transmission or engine with manual than auto. I think auto trannies last pretty much for the life time of the cars these days.

By the way, you can shift manually quite nicely on some advanced auto transmissions, although there isn't much reason to do so under most circumstances - somewhat useful on mountain roads where you may be able to do a better job manually, and where you stay mostly in the lower gears (too much hassle to shift 8 gears manually!)

Short sporty 6MT gearing is one of the things that make manual driving on sporty cars like the G37 kind of a pain in daily driving - too much shifting, and too much jerkiness. Also, 6 gears aren't enough to make the most optimal and efficient use of the engine in some cases, but 6 is already more than enough to worry about manually. More gears work well on autos, not so much on manual.

I used to be a manual purist myself, but gradually and reluctantly changed my views in recent times.
Old 04-30-2012, 12:34 AM
jddssc121

Originally Posted by visualguy
Dealers don't stock them because they don't sell well-enough, and they become magnets for people who want to test drive a 6MT BMW just to experience it, and without the intention to buy.

Europeans aren't really into manual in high-end cars. Manual is popular in low-end cars there, not in expensive performance cars where Europeans prefer a good DCT or auto.

Japanese aren't that much into manual either - the G37 6MT sedan isn't offered in Japan. Only the coupe is offered with 6MT over there.

It's actually American purists who insist on manual, and also the American automotive press is biased toward manual for some reason. BMW is forced to make a US-only 6MT option on some cars such as the new M5 because Americans insist on it.

As someone who has driven BMWs equipped with 6MT, 7-speed DCT, and 8-speed ZF trannies, I have to say that it's hard to justify going with the 6MT unless you're a die-hard old-school type.
I am not a fan of the ZF 6 speed for the 3 series (it's perfect for our diesel X5 however), but the 8 speed ZF now offered is amazing. First time i might actually want an auto.
Old 04-30-2012, 01:00 AM
visualguy

I am not a fan of the ZF 6 speed for the 3 series (it's perfect for our diesel X5 however), but the 8 speed ZF now offered is amazing. First time i might actually want an auto.
Yes - the ZF 8HP is excellent. It works so well that I'm surprised that BMW still goes with the Getrag 7-speed DCT in their higher-end cars. Not sure what the remaining advantages are for the DCT. It may be just because they haven't had a chance to do all the programming on the 8HP for their higher-end cars, while they've already done it for the DCT.

Anyway, this is an area where Infiniti has some catching up to do...

Last edited by visualguy; 04-30-2012 at 01:07 AM.
Old 04-30-2012, 12:35 PM
jddssc121

Yes I agree. You don't see 7 series or A8's w/ a manual

But if you look in Europe at the "Lower end" luxury cars (e.g. 3 Series, A4, etc) a lot more of them are sold as manual in Europe. A LOT more.....
Old 04-30-2012, 01:16 PM
visualguy

Yes I agree. You don't see 7 series or A8's w/ a manual

But if you look in Europe at the "Lower end" luxury cars (e.g. 3 Series, A4, etc) a lot more of them are sold as manual in Europe. A LOT more.....
On the 3-series, BMW charges quite a premium for automatic in Europe. It's well over $3,000 if I remember correctly. On the M3 it's even worse at over $5,000.

This pricing strategy probably has at least some influence on buying behavior.

In the US, if you buy a manual BMW, you're giving BMW a significantly higher profit margin on the car than they would be getting if you bought an automatic (they use expensive auto trannies), so they should love you for that...
Old 04-30-2012, 03:40 PM
owslystnly

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
On the M3 it's even worse at over $5,000.
The new M3 is only automatic in Europe now I thought? The only manual M3's are in the US because consumers demanded it (at least that was what I saw in a video over on autoblog with one of BMW's engineering/designer types)
Old 04-30-2012, 11:50 PM
visualguy

The new M3 is only automatic in Europe now I thought? The only manual M3's are in the US because consumers demanded it (at least that was what I saw in a video over on autoblog with one of BMW's engineering/designer types)
That's the M5, not M3.
Old 05-01-2012, 12:15 AM
dkmura
Registered Member

Received 82 Likes on 71 Posts
Back on topic- I can't imagine Infiniti spending the millions of dollars (or yen, euros or yuen) necessary to build a manual AWD transmission option, when consumer demand is less than 5% of total production for manual trannys. While BMW or Audi have much higher profit margins and pricing for their products, even limited demand on a manual can be profitable. Too bad that doesn't work with Infiniti, but give me better value for money any day.
Old 05-01-2012, 01:28 AM
jddssc121

ahem. DCT. No slush box to be found
Old 05-01-2012, 02:03 AM
Beer Magazine

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Europeans drive MT. Their rentals are MT. If you like auto good for you, you'll also like it when you don't have to actually drive too

MT is more fun.
Old 05-01-2012, 03:19 AM
visualguy

Originally Posted by Beer Magazine
Europeans drive MT. Their rentals are MT. If you like auto good for you, you'll also like it when you don't have to actually drive too

MT is more fun.
Funny - I'm originally from Europe (although I reside in the US now)... I still drive manual, but this is my last manual car because autos are much better now. By the way, no one in my family over there drives manual - all moved to automatics even though they used to drive manual and originally learned to drive on manual.

Quick Reply: Why no AWD manual transmission?