Engine, Drivetrain & Forced-Induction
Have Technical Questions or Done Modifications to the G37? Find out the answer in here!

Help Question on Cat Converter

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-2012, 04:08 PM
msmching

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Question on Cat Converter

I recently have my engine light on.

I have a 2008 G37 non-S... Got it checked out and found out that its my Cat converter causing the trouble.

Anyway, I dont think it has been asked on the forum yet!!
The OEM cat's probably going to cost me thousands of dollars to get it replaced. So, of course, I'll take this chance to change it to aftermarket High Flow Cats. (Berks, FI, ARK....)

Question
1)The tech told me its BANK ONE or something... That means one of them is down?? We only have two cat converter on our car right??

2) I do have OEM exhaust system EXCEPT the Megan Racing Axle-Back. Is it okay to install other brands of HFC (Berks, FI, or ARK) on it? As in, it won't sound funny (Raspy???).. Don't really want to buy the whole cat back system since I'll be wasting the Megan racing that I got. Or should I just go with Megan racing's? (Will double check, but if i m not wrong, they only have Test pipe)...

3) The engine light, if i do switch it out to HFC, it will automatically clear the code or I'll still have to get someone to clear it?

4) It came on two days ago, and I'll be driving from Vegas to Los Angeles (300 Miles) next Wednesday... Still cool to keep driving?

THank YOu!!!!!
Old 04-14-2012, 05:44 PM
Rad_Slinger

Received 81 Likes on 59 Posts
1. No clue. Bank one could mean one of the sensors that's on your cats.
2. Won't know until you try it unless someone here on the forums has tried it with the setup you have.
3. After you switch it, just disconnect the battery over night and it should clear it. If it doesnt, then you should probably take it into a shop to have it looked at.
4. I would say its ok....but I wouldn't make it a habit of driving it without getting it fixed.

Good luck!
Old 04-14-2012, 06:18 PM
Seraphix

Received 36 Likes on 30 Posts
As far as driving it your fine, the only down side> your going to be staring at the check engine light the whole trip. 2 cats yes, installing any regular HFC's will have some rasp unless there resonated. No one complains about the FI resonated cats. Or you can get HFC's and a resonated y-pipe no rasp at all either, but then your spending more money and you still wouldnt have a full system. The code should clear by itself but if it doesn't resetting it is easy, any car parts store can do it, it takes 2 seconds. Are you sure it's not a faulty 02 sensor? Make sure before spending the money.
Old 04-14-2012, 07:23 PM
msmching

Seraphix & Mattster!!

Thanks for coming in!! But yeahh, I forget about the fact that it MAY be the O2 sensor. ==
Other than going back to him, I don't think I can find out myself.

if it ends up really to be the CAT. (I have about 77K miles on my 08), its headache time for me to choose which one to go... From one of the thread, it says FI RHFC's the best one out there...
Old 04-14-2012, 07:32 PM
Modme
Registered Member

Received 80 Likes on 56 Posts
What's the code? I have not heard of any OEM CATs going bad on a G37. I'm willing to bet that it's the o2 sensor.
Old 04-14-2012, 11:38 PM
msmching

^^^^^^^^^^^^^

I forget to get it from the local tech. He told me to go back to the dealer to replace the CAT.. So I dont think he's BS'ing me about it.
Old 04-15-2012, 01:57 AM
DeepRumble

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
If it's a bank one code, I'd be willing to bet you would just have to replace an O2 sensor.
Old 04-15-2012, 02:16 AM
msmching

I m going to Infiniti to have it double checked again.... I believe they have free code check (I hope)
Old 04-15-2012, 01:14 PM
TVPostSound
Registered Member

Received 115 Likes on 88 Posts
Originally Posted by msmching
I recently have my engine light on.

I have a 2008 G37 non-S... Got it checked out and found out that its my Cat converter causing the trouble.

Anyway, I dont think it has been asked on the forum yet!!
The OEM cat's probably going to cost me thousands of dollars to get it replaced. So, of course, I'll take this chance to change it to aftermarket High Flow Cats. (Berks, FI, ARK....)

Question
1)The tech told me its BANK ONE or something... That means one of them is down?? We only have two cat converter on our car right??

2) I do have OEM exhaust system EXCEPT the Megan Racing Axle-Back. Is it okay to install other brands of HFC (Berks, FI, or ARK) on it? As in, it won't sound funny (Raspy???).. Don't really want to buy the whole cat back system since I'll be wasting the Megan racing that I got. Or should I just go with Megan racing's? (Will double check, but if i m not wrong, they only have Test pipe)...

3) The engine light, if i do switch it out to HFC, it will automatically clear the code or I'll still have to get someone to clear it?

4) It came on two days ago, and I'll be driving from Vegas to Los Angeles (300 Miles) next Wednesday... Still cool to keep driving?

THank YOu!!!!!
Have you checked you emission warranty??
You have 80K miles or 100K miles on the cats depending on Federal or California.
Old 04-15-2012, 01:35 PM
msmching

Every new Infiniti comes with the peace of mind of Standard Infiniti Limited Warranties:

4-year/60,000-mile Basic coverage
5-year/50,000-mile Emission Control coverage
6-year/70,000-mile Powertrain coverage
7-year/unlimited-mileage Corrosion coverage
10-year/unlimited-mileage Seat Belt Warranty
4-year/60,000-mile Genuine Infiniti Accessories Basic coverage (when purchased at time of vehicle sale)
Up to 7-year/100,000-mile Infiniti Extended Protection Plan (optional)
2-year/24,000-mile Federal Emission Performance Warranty
4-year/60,000-mile Federal Emission Defect Warranty
8-year/80,000-mile Federal Emission Long Term Defect Warranty
4-year/60,000-mile California Emission Performance and Defect Warranties
7-year/70,000-mile California Emission Long Term Defect Warranty

Not sure which one is it, but will keep that in mind when i visit INfiniti tomorrow tho...

thanks
Old 04-15-2012, 01:50 PM
dimsler
Registered Member

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts
What is exactly wrong with the cat? its plugged up? our cars usually run pretty rich stock, especially with a stock intake, that keeps the cats from melting.

I would most definitely try an 02 sensor, any high flow cats will add a bit of extra smell, and some rasp, although the rasp can be eliminated. It'll also amplify your exhaust tone, and deepen it.

Great power gains though, but do keep in mind HFC do not last long, I believe some have a 20k mile lifespan, so keep that in mind if longevity is your concern.
Old 04-15-2012, 02:22 PM
msmching

I had HFCS before on my previous car, and I love the power it's giving out. Smell, yeah, increased in bad smell, but still okay for me.
Didn't do it this time on our G, because I hate having parts lying around. Collecting dust again.
If it turns out to be the o2 sensor gone, I'll just replaced that only.
Old 04-16-2012, 06:25 PM
msmching

I am at Infiniti right now to double check, and they did tell me that it is the converter going bad.
(but not naturally). I hit it before. They raised up the car and showed me scratches on the bottom of the cat. Therefore, its not going to be covered by the warranty. XXXX

Leaves me the option to go for aftermarket now.

I called ARK, they said they do have it but take months to arrive.
I called fast intention, but they don't have it in stock, cost me 620 + tax and 2 weeks wait.
I called Megan racing, surprisingly cheap... 100ish$$ only. @@ but they told me the light will still stay on.
There's still Berks, kinectic's....HFC...

I dunno what to do... @@
Old 04-16-2012, 06:39 PM
msmching

I think I will go with the kinetix's... Cheaper in price and someone recommended it to me...
Old 04-16-2012, 11:25 PM
TVPostSound
Registered Member

Received 115 Likes on 88 Posts
Originally Posted by msmching
I am at Infiniti right now to double check, and they did tell me that it is the converter going bad.
(but not naturally). I hit it before. They raised up the car and showed me scratches on the bottom of the cat. Therefore, its not going to be covered by the warranty. XXXX
Only scratches?? Seriously!! If there was a dent, yeah maybe.

What dealer??

Quick Reply: Help Question on Cat Converter