Engine, Drivetrain & Forced-Induction
Have Technical Questions or Done Modifications to the G37? Find out the answer in here!

Sputtering IPL Coupe

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-2012, 10:56 AM
mtrsprt

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Your 3.7L engine is the same 11:1 CR as the all the other VQ37's
Old 03-17-2012, 12:00 PM
wolfmanjack210

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by mtrsprt
Your 3.7L engine is the same 11:1 CR as the all the other VQ37's
Your absolutely correct. Not sure were I got 12.5 from and I never meant to imply my engine was different. Question though, would you run 89 in your G37S?
Old 03-17-2012, 08:53 PM
mtrsprt

Originally Posted by wolfmanjack210
Your absolutely correct. Not sure were I got 12.5 from and I never meant to imply my engine was different. Question though, would you run 89 in your G37S?
Yup. My current tank is full of it. In cooler months, air charge temperatures are much lower. This makes the engine far less prone to detonation/knock. I alternate from 93 to 89 and back to 93 every tank. I also don't drive it hard when I am on the 89 octane.

Now, would I run 89 octane in 110*F ambient temperatures in Arizona traffic. Not a chance....
The following users liked this post:
Baby Jumpman (06-19-2017)
Old 03-18-2012, 01:32 PM
mykke101

Yup. My current tank is full of it. In cooler months, air charge temperatures are much lower. This makes the engine far less prone to detonation/knock. I alternate from 93 to 89 and back to 93 every tank. I also don't drive it hard when I am on the 89 octane.

Now, would I run 89 octane in 110*F ambient temperatures in Arizona traffic. Not a chance....
Seems a bit cheap of you I mean we drive a 40k+ car and you have to alternate between mid and premium?? Sounds like someone over bought..
Old 03-18-2012, 05:33 PM
mtrsprt

Originally Posted by mykke101
Seems a bit cheap of you I mean we drive a 40k+ car and you have to alternate between mid and premium?? Sounds like someone over bought..
Nope. Not at all. My payment is half of one weeks paycheck. I know enough about spark timing,compression, and engine efficiency to know what can be tolerated and what can not. Typical assumption on your behalf though.
Old 03-18-2012, 05:36 PM
BB_Sam

This is INSANE! I just had the same issue with my 2011 IPL this afternoon. I came on the myg37 board to see if anyone else had this issue.

I'm also located in Toronto..... I'm now wondering if maybe we went to the same gas station. Although, I ONLY use 94 octane at Petro Canada / Sunoco. I normally fill up at a Petro Canada near my house but I recently filled up at a Petro Canada that I've never been to before at Steeles and Bathurst.

Here's what happened to me --> I had a few errands to run, at one of my stops, just before turning the car off, the car sounded weird and was puttering ... like it was ready to stall. I actually said out loud, "that doesn't sound good"....

I started the car about 20 minutes later and it was sputtering... like it was running out of gas (the tank shows 3/4 full). I revved the engine and started driving. Even while driving at low speeds, I had the same sputtering sounds and it felt like I would stall.

I made another stop ... car was off for about an hour. I came back, started the car and it was sputtering... I was able to back out of my parking spot and drove toward the end of the aisle, all of a sudden it stalled. DEAD.

I tried restarting. I heard the engine turning over but it was like it couldn't ignite. I was stalled for about 10 minutes. I was desperate, so I called road side assistance. I was on hold for about 10-15 minutes. While I was waiting I kept trying and it would turn and turn over but wouldn't start. Then, just as the operator answered the call, the car started -- again, sputtering.

I moved to a nearby parking spot and sat with the car idling for about 10 minutes. The sputtering stopped... and everything appeared to be ok???? Instead of waiting for the tow truck to come and just tow me to a dealership (which would have been closed anyway because it is sunday), I drove the car home. Didn't have an issue driving home.

There are only two causes I can think of. The gas I bought from a station I had never been to before ... OR the fact that I had a high pressure / no touch car wash earlier this morning. Is it possible water can get in to the exhaust and cause the car to stall?? It is worth noting that I've been with the IPL to this same car wash at least 5 times before with no issue like this.

These are the only two owner caused issues that, in my view, may have caused this. Otherwise, it is mechanical. I can't imagine the Ethanol in the 94 Octane Petro Canada gas had anything to do with this because I'm at about 7000 kms (5000 miles) and have only used 94 Octane since I got the car -- never had this before.
Old 03-18-2012, 05:49 PM
Trunks333

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
sounds like a vacuum leak.
Old 03-18-2012, 06:06 PM
mtrsprt

The symptoms are highly suggested that water is in the fuel. Only about 3-5% of the population uses 91 octane or higher fuel. MANY times water settles at the bottom of the tanks over time because hardly anyone uses the fuel from them at the gas stations.

I have gotten water MANY times from pumping 93 octane at multiple stations in the past.
Old 03-18-2012, 06:08 PM
mtrsprt

Sam, add a bottle of dry gas to your tank, and I bet your issues go away. Stay away from Ultra 94. Hardly anyone uses enough of it to stay fresh and water free in the gas station tank.
Old 03-18-2012, 06:54 PM
Wyldfyer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by mykke101

How long have you had your car?
Old 03-18-2012, 10:49 PM
gevo1

Originally Posted by Trunks333
sounds like a vacuum leak.
Exactly what I was thinking lol. Maybe the old owner had an intake on it and when he replaced it didnt care to fit things well since he was returning it.

On a side note, does the temperature gauge fluctuate abnormally? You might have air bubbles in the coolent
Old 03-21-2012, 09:01 AM
clownshoes

The symptoms are highly suggested that water is in the fuel. Only about 3-5% of the population uses 91 octane or higher fuel. MANY times water settles at the bottom of the tanks over time because hardly anyone uses the fuel from them at the gas stations.

I have gotten water MANY times from pumping 93 octane at multiple stations in the past.
Wow, I did not even think of that, good information. I'll continue going to the busy Exxon versus the empty Shell station 2 miles down the road.
Old 03-21-2012, 10:08 AM
Tazicon

Received 24 Likes on 23 Posts
Never mind! lol