Engine, Drivetrain & Forced-Induction
Have Technical Questions or Done Modifications to the G37? Find out the answer in here!

Anyone run E85 with their SC or Turbo G

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-2012, 01:42 PM
rsi-g37xs

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Anyone run E85 with their SC or Turbo G

Just seeing if anyone is running E85 with their Supercharged or Turbo G. If anyone has I am curious how much more power it added and how it ran with the E85. I plan to SC my G this summer and was talking to Mac Autosports in Denver about doing an E85 tune and they said it would be fine but I just wanted to know if anyone has done this yet and if so was it worth it?
Old 03-05-2012, 07:35 PM
mikelr

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I haven't heard of anyone doing this on a FI application Infiniti but it would take more than just a "tune" to run E85 at those performance levels. More like an entire revamping of the fuel delivery system, like twin pumps and 1000cc+ injectors....
If you where to go that route the performance gain could possibly be in the ballpark of 15-20% over pump gas.
Old 03-05-2012, 08:25 PM
Modme
Registered Member

Received 80 Likes on 56 Posts
There is one person with greddy twin turbo that's running E85. You can find out more info from him:

phunk's CJM Greddy TT - Build, Info, Reviews, Etc - Nissan 370Z Forum
Old 03-06-2012, 02:17 PM
oreoleo

A very technical read on why it's not the best idea to run pump e85.
Injector Dynamics - Alcohol Article
Old 03-06-2012, 03:33 PM
rsi-g37xs

Originally Posted by oreoleo
A very technical read on why it's not the best idea to run pump e85.
Injector Dynamics - Alcohol Article
Thanks for the article there was definitely some good info in there. Now I will bring a few of those issues up with the shop, but some of things that will help is that I am in Colorado where it is not humid at all, with the dry climate I should be good with the injectors. Second the car will not sit as it is my daily driver and I will also only be running E85 in the spring/summer and fall and back to 91 which is the highest you can get in Colorado in the winter. One of the main reasons I will be doing this is because E85 and cold weather don't mix that well and the car would have trouble at start up if I ran E85 in the winter. With that being said, if I do set the car up to run it I will ask them about the varying fuel blends and find a safe range to compensate for the variation. Thanks for the info though
Old 03-06-2012, 05:25 PM
Tazicon

Received 24 Likes on 23 Posts
Originally Posted by rsi-g37xs
Thanks for the article there was definitely some good info in there. Now I will bring a few of those issues up with the shop, but some of things that will help is that I am in Colorado where it is not humid at all, with the dry climate I should be good with the injectors. Second the car will not sit as it is my daily driver and I will also only be running E85 in the spring/summer and fall and back to 91 which is the highest you can get in Colorado in the winter. One of the main reasons I will be doing this is because E85 and cold weather don't mix that well and the car would have trouble at start up if I ran E85 in the winter. With that being said, if I do set the car up to run it I will ask them about the varying fuel blends and find a safe range to compensate for the variation. Thanks for the info though

Note that cars do not like it when you switch back and forth. I understand it will only be twice a year but they take a while to re-adjust for some reason. It really is best to run one or the other. I tried e85 while I lived in Broomfield and gave up on it. (Note this was on a ford truck not a FI G)
Old 03-07-2012, 09:29 AM
oreoleo

He will most likely be using uprev with two tunes switchable through the cruise control button, I see no issue at all.
Old 11-21-2012, 03:50 PM
Legz
Registered Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
E85 Ethanol Does not harm Non-FlexFueled Engines - YouTube
Old 11-21-2012, 04:08 PM
Oki370GT

I wasnt aware that we could even run E85 gas. Can you do this on just stock or do you need to have a tune to do this?
Old 11-21-2012, 08:42 PM
Elperuano

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
As was stated earlier it won't be jus that simple to run e85. New fuel pumps, lines and injectors. The only reason to run e85 is if ur going for big power. I'm gonna assume u have a built block and are about to slap some big twins or an even bigger single! You're going way out of your way to run e85 otherwise. Yes u could do it, not sure why u would want to when stock set-up will be fine. If ur going FI simple walbro fuel pump n injectors is all you need. If you're going for some serious numbers then e85 will help the tuner keep detonation from happening.

Just go the easier route.
Old 11-23-2012, 11:19 PM
GRG37

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I have a e85 g37 sc, car making over 500 whp, working out some kinks on hitting 600 whp. As soon as i am done with it i will have a write up for it.
Old 11-24-2012, 03:26 AM
Bassmechanic12

A lot of high HP corvettes and F-bodies were running e85 when I was in Missouri. Here's one that a local guy owned.
Old 11-24-2012, 12:24 PM
Elperuano

Yep, high HP cars
I'm runnin over 500hp on pump gas with conservative tune n timing down.. No need for e85 here, like I said u can run e85 if u want but unless ur pushin over 700+ it's prolly overkill
Old 12-27-2012, 12:22 AM
FrozenBloodPump

Received 17 Likes on 2 Posts
No need to upgrade fuel lines to run E85. All you need is a higher capacity fuel pump (walboro unit comes with the SC kit but you may need to go a little bigger) I'm not sure how much the injectors that come with the SC kit will flow so you may need an upgrade there. You should talk about that when you buy the kit. Buying the right size injectors with the kit may save you a few bucks. And you'll need the tune. Nick @ MAC is pretty good with up-rev.

Old thinking said that upgrading the lines would be necessary due to the lines not being made resistant to the corrosive effects of the ethanol. All cars are now equipped with lines that resist ethanol due to the ethanol content in regular gasoline. I have a 92 nissan sentra that makes 375whp running an SR20DET and E85. All my lines are stock and I've had no issues with it for going on 3 1/2 years now.

There is an inherent gain to running E85 since it is the equivalent of running 100 octane gasoline. The trade off is that you have to run more of it because it runs 30% leaner than gas. So on a FI set up, just switching to it will give you HP. I gained about 40HP when I switched on my sentra.

Problems are indeed with cold starting. It has a hard time running smoothly when cold. The only other major problem is that you will live life on an empty tank and you will constantly be looking for new places that sell the stuff. You will burn through tanks of it quick and you wont be able to travel outside of the Cheyenne, Colorado Springs, Golden, Aurora square because there is a no-mans-land out there where you cant get it. Take my advice, get a fuel can, fill it with E85 and strap it into the trunk!

I run the GTM stg II SC kit on my G and make 450whp at this elevation on pump gas. Once I upgrade the tranny I'll put on the smaller pulley and really have some fun. would I like a free 40-50 HP sure, but I'm not sure about making my exhaust smell like and old McDonalds french fryer again.
Old 12-27-2012, 04:44 PM
Elperuano

Seems like an awful lot of hassle just to switch over to e85. How much does it cost? R u sure fuel lines aren't needed?

Quick Reply: Anyone run E85 with their SC or Turbo G