Engine, Drivetrain & Forced-Induction
Have Technical Questions or Done Modifications to the G37? Find out the answer in here!

Any modified 7 speed Auto transmissions? Experiences please!

Search this Thread

Old 08-27-2012, 11:04 PM
Coprolite

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Sexy. Nice closed course vid.

How much for one of these valve body jobs?
Old 08-28-2012, 09:47 PM
rx794
Registered Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Can Sam from GTM and/or the person who has the Stage 4 transmission please give some answers and feedback on the Stage 4 transmission? What does it drive like under light to midrange load? When the Stage 4 transmission mod is performed do any values have to be changed within torque management settings or are those just left alone since the transmission is modified internally? What's the maximum TQ/HP this transmission is expected to handle? Is there anything else that must be modified? How long is the turnaround time for the Stage 4 transmission modification?
Old 08-29-2012, 03:40 AM
Sam@GTM
Banned

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts
Originally Posted by rx794
Can Sam from GTM and/or the person who has the Stage 4 transmission please give some answers and feedback on the Stage 4 transmission? What does it drive like under light to midrange load? When the Stage 4 transmission mod is performed do any values have to be changed within torque management settings or are those just left alone since the transmission is modified internally? What's the maximum TQ/HP this transmission is expected to handle? Is there anything else that must be modified? How long is the turnaround time for the Stage 4 transmission modification?
In the video right after the dyno @ 4:53 and if you pay attention the accel % bar graph you will notice that the car was driven under light to midrange load and still shifts fast and it it is very responsive and still maintain good driveablty

No torque management tables were modified. This trans will take 700+ RWTQ no problem . HP Numbers are not a that important in building a Trans, it is all about torque.

Currently we have 4 orders for a stage 4 units so turned around time right now is 4-6 weeks, it will get better once we catch up with the current orders .

Sam
Old 08-31-2012, 04:05 PM
wattles
Registered Member

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
Update on the 7AT with VB upgrade.
The tranny remains strong with improved shift speed. I do notice some hesitation when shifting at slower speeds from 1st to 2nd and from 2nd to 3rd.
Their is no pronounced problems with the slow shifting. Fast acceleration is great!
It may be a perfecting of the programming, or I may have to live with higher top-end performance = less low end comfort/smoothness.
We will see how it comes
Old 08-31-2012, 04:36 PM
warpeacelove

Received 38 Likes on 33 Posts
Originally Posted by wattles
Update on the 7AT with VB upgrade.
The tranny remains strong with improved shift speed. I do notice some hesitation when shifting at slower speeds from 1st to 2nd and from 2nd to 3rd.
Their is no pronounced problems with the slow shifting. Fast acceleration is great!
It may be a perfecting of the programming, or I may have to live with higher top-end performance = less low end comfort/smoothness.
We will see how it comes
Are you experiencing the slow shifting in Automatic Mode and or DS or Manual?
Old 08-31-2012, 06:47 PM
wattles
Registered Member

Originally Posted by warpeacelove
Are you experiencing the slow shifting in Automatic Mode and or DS or Manual?
I almost always drive in DS. I'll try it in regular mode.
Manual shift works very well.
Old 09-01-2012, 12:48 AM
warpeacelove

I almost always drive in DS. I'll try it in regular mode.
Manual shift works very well.
Thanks for the response, looking forward to hearing back from you regarding the driving experience with the 7AT VB upgrade while driving in regular mode.

Did the guy's @ GTM Tighten the VB more for you to get faster shift response?
Old 09-08-2012, 03:30 PM
wattles
Registered Member

Thanks for the response, looking forward to hearing back from you regarding the driving experience with the 7AT VB upgrade while driving in regular mode.

Did the guy's @ GTM Tighten the VB more for you to get faster shift response?
The VB was "tightened/firmed up" from the initial settings. So far I am much happier with the firmness of shifts in all modes (DS/D/M).
The car still hits redline/fuel cutoff/limiter from 1st to 2nd. The amount of power pushin the wheels when I hit 5k RPM makes the engine rev so fast the tranny can't shift fast enough and I get a auto cutoff. This means I have to shift manually from 1st to 2nd Allways. Or I could let off the pedal! But that's not my style.
I'm hoping I can figure out how to move the shift point down to around 5.5k RPM in 1st. I'm not sure if it's possible, but it would likely give the tranny time to shift before hitting redline/limiter.

(Does anyone know if this is possible? Maybe uprev or tranny software?)

I'm also experiencing some hesitation at low speeds from 2nd to 3rd. I chalk it up to the fact that the tranny can only do so many things (can't be a race tranny and a smooth street car at the same time)?
Old 09-08-2012, 09:48 PM
SharpByCoop

Received 56 Likes on 48 Posts
Even in the 5-speed, this is my experience. I HAVE to shift manually, and well beforehand. Otherwise it's into that cutoff area and then slowly get back into the powerband.

At the track you lose about three-four tenths because of this.

The day someone hacks the trans ECU for speed and response is the day we rejoice!

Coop
Old 09-08-2012, 09:53 PM
warpeacelove

The VB was "tightened/firmed up" from the initial settings. So far I am much happier with the firmness of shifts in all modes (DS/D/M).
The car still hits redline/fuel cutoff/limiter from 1st to 2nd. The amount of power pushin the wheels when I hit 5k RPM makes the engine rev so fast the tranny can't shift fast enough and I get a auto cutoff. This means I have to shift manually from 1st to 2nd Allways. Or I could let off the pedal! But that's not my style.
I'm hoping I can figure out how to move the shift point down to around 5.5k RPM in 1st. I'm not sure if it's possible, but it would likely give the tranny time to shift before hitting redline/limiter.

(Does anyone know if this is possible? Maybe uprev or tranny software?)

I'm also experiencing some hesitation at low speeds from 2nd to 3rd. I chalk it up to the fact that the tranny can only do so many things (can't be a race tranny and a smooth street car at the same time)?

Thanks for the reply!! The hesitation that you experiencing from 2 to 3 gear prompts to ask about what RPM range are you in when you feel a slight hiccup?

Has that problem existed before you delve into the F.I. World or did this occur after and if not then when did you start noticing the shift delay?
Old 09-09-2012, 10:56 AM
wattles
Registered Member

Thanks for the reply!! The hesitation that you experiencing from 2 to 3 gear prompts to ask about what RPM range are you in when you feel a slight hiccup?

Has that problem existed before you delve into the F.I. World or did this occur after and if not then when did you start noticing the shift delay?
I see some hesitation while driving slow, 2.5k -3k RPM from 2nd to third. It's not major, just feels like the trans is not exactly sure if it wants to shift. Then it does.
Old 09-09-2012, 11:23 AM
warpeacelove

I think that is the Transmission behavior at around that RPM range mentioned because on my NA application there is A noticeable lag before 3k.
Old 09-09-2012, 07:24 PM
wattles
Registered Member

Originally Posted by SharpByCoop
Even in the 5-speed, this is my experience. I HAVE to shift manually, and well beforehand. Otherwise it's into that cutoff area and then slowly get back into the powerband.

At the track you lose about three-four tenths because of this.

The day someone hacks the trans ECU for speed and response is the day we rejoice!

Coop
Thanks for the info! I talked to SAM at GTM and he said the Same thing. Bummer there is nothing to edit the shift points. I'll just have to get better at manual shifting I guess.
Sam said the only solution for my IPL was a built AT.
Someday I may go there, but that's a lotta dough! I'll probably wait till I try to push 600 or more WHP to invest that kind of $$$ in the trans.