Engine, Drivetrain & Forced-Induction
Have Technical Questions or Done Modifications to the G37? Find out the answer in here!

Any modified 7 speed Auto transmissions? Experiences please!

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-2012, 08:55 AM
SharpByCoop

Received 56 Likes on 48 Posts
Really good synopsis. Nice work. I am also finding that getting exact specifics is difficult. These trans guys hold their cards pretty closely.

That said, in a conversation with Pat at Level Ten earlier this week, he told me he made modifications internally in mine which allowed him to REDUCE the line pressure. According to him this would be the equivalent of gaining 20whp, as the pump draws energy. "First we made it strong, now we're making it FAST."

This afternoon I am meeting my tuner at The Shop to change the Torque Management settings via Uprev to a setting as specified by Pat. He wanted my tuner to handle this. We took a screen shot of the page, emailed it to him, he looked it over and made a recommended change to the tables.

I will return with an update as I know more.

Keep plugging away.

Coop
Old 02-25-2012, 11:16 AM
rx794
Registered Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by SharpByCoop
Really good synopsis. Nice work. I am also finding that getting exact specifics is difficult. These trans guys hold their cards pretty closely.

That said, in a conversation with Pat at Level Ten earlier this week, he told me he made modifications internally in mine which allowed him to REDUCE the line pressure. According to him this would be the equivalent of gaining 20whp, as the pump draws energy. "First we made it strong, now we're making it FAST."

This afternoon I am meeting my tuner at The Shop to change the Torque Management settings via Uprev to a setting as specified by Pat. He wanted my tuner to handle this. We took a screen shot of the page, emailed it to him, he looked it over and made a recommended change to the tables.

I will return with an update as I know more.

Keep plugging away.

Coop
Hey Coop, can you post the screen shot of the transmission torque management settings from the Uprev to see what it looks like?
Old 02-25-2012, 06:37 PM
SharpByCoop

This is what the Torque management window looks like:

This is a slightly modified field from original GTM file. I managed to get my tuner's file this afternoon and actually changed some of the parameters myself, on Pat's recommendation.

I increased a set of numbers and it made a notable difference in the bite between shifts and response. I may not be done, I dunno. I wish I knew more, but being able to change the numbers on my own is liberating. (Provided I don't muck things up.)

Anyway, as you can see it's a complicated table. Someone more understanding than me can explain it.

Coop
Old 02-25-2012, 08:32 PM
rx794
Registered Member

Originally Posted by SharpByCoop
This is what the Torque management window looks like:

This is a slightly modified field from original GTM file. I managed to get my tuner's file this afternoon and actually changed some of the parameters myself, on Pat's recommendation.

I increased a set of numbers and it made a notable difference in the bite between shifts and response. I may not be done, I dunno. I wish I knew more, but being able to change the numbers on my own is liberating. (Provided I don't muck things up.)

Anyway, as you can see it's a complicated table. Someone more understanding than me can explain it.

Coop
Thanks Coop!
Old 02-27-2012, 03:10 AM
Sam@GTM
Banned

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts
Originally Posted by rx794
In general an automatic transmission is modified to handle more torque and have the transmission shift at a faster pace by altering shift points, raising line pressure, adding stronger clutches, separator plates, bands, pressure plates, pistons, etc.

The intent of starting this thread was to get more information and opinions on modifying the JR710E transmission because there doesn't seem to be much out there as far as specifics go. I don't mind paying for a shop to modify my JR710E but since it's my transmission that's being modified I should be told exactly what's going to be done, why and how. I called two different shops and asked a few questions because I like to be informed as much as possible before making a decision. Here's feedback I got from some of the questions I asked them:

Shop#1: I asked this shop if I could buy the parts from them and modify the transmission myself since I have access to a transmission shop and tools. They stated that I could do that but it was not cost effective because there was also some machining that had to be performed and by the time it was all said and done, it would end up costing the same or more than just having them build it. I crunched the numbers of how much the parts were from what they told me and I agreed with that statement. I also asked how the electronics played into the shifting of the transmission and they stated that this was changed inside the transmission by the modifications performed by them, whether this was the only thing performed to alter shifting or not, I don't know. There is a 4 week wait to get this transmission built by them.

Shop# 2: I asked this shop what parts they changed inside the transmission, etc. They weren't too willing to tell me what exactly would be replaced inside the transmission, only that the transmission would handle my HP goal. I also asked this shop about how the electronics played into the shifting of the transmission and they stated that changes would be done through the Uprev software because there's a section in the tuning map where you can change the torque values on the transmission. I'm not sure exactly what that controls but it sounds like the line pressure in the transmission, this is just my speculation at this point. Once again, whether this was the only thing performed to alter shifting or not, I don't know. This shop stated that the wait to modify the transmission is 3-5 days.

I also called Uprev Engine Management Solutions to ask if there was such a parameter in their software that allowed changes to the transmission and they confirmed that there is a screen where you can adjust these settings.

From the responses I received there are a few things I'm questioning:

Question #1:

I know that in traditional/older cars, the valve body is what controlled how the transmission shifted. Shop#1 is telling that they modify the transmission internally to do this, is this done by modifying the valve body?

Questions #3&4:

Shop#2 is saying that they modify the way the transmission shifts by making changes in the Uprev software. Which shop is right? OR are both shops right in some way?

Questions #4&5:

If Shop#1 does just change something internally inside the transmission, would it also benefit more so from making changes in the Uprev software for the transmission? If Shop#2 just makes changes in the Uprev software would it benefit from what Shop#1 modifies inside the transmission?

Question #6: Shop#1 mentioned that there would be some machining performed inside the transmission when being modified, does anyone know exactly what this consists of?

I do understand that a lot of R&D goes into modifying a new car. Especially in a transmission like the JR710E that is still considered fairly new as far as modifying goes. There are certain things that these shops keep to themselves due to the fact that they spent the time, money and R&D getting their products ready for sale. I hope that no one takes offense to anything I've stated or asked.

Thanks to the both of the shops I called today for their time in speaking with me, I know your time is precious when running a business these days and I thank you for taking your time out in speaking with me.

Also thanks to Uprev for speaking to me and answering my questions as well.

So can anyone out there educate us by answering the questions above? This isn't my first time down this road by any means and I just want to make sure on what exactly it is I'm buying and how it works. Thanks again in advance.

The Uprev software is a good solution for certain power level, it is better then nothing but it is limited and anyone who says that is all you need is giving you the wrong info or does not have enough knowledge of what the electronics of this transmission can and can not due. it is that simple .

Our valve body modification goes beyond the mechanical limitations of the factory valve body.

Sam
Old 02-28-2012, 08:35 AM
rx794
Registered Member

Originally Posted by SAM@GTM
The Uprev software is a good solution for certain power level, it is better then nothing but it is limited and anyone who says that is all you need is giving you the wrong info or does not have enough knowledge of what the electronics of this transmission can and can not due. it is that simple .

Our valve body modification goes beyond the mechanical limitations of the factory valve body.

Sam
Sam, is there any way you can elaborate on this?
Old 03-05-2012, 08:29 AM
rx794
Registered Member

Originally Posted by SAM@GTM

Sam
Sam, I sent you a PM.
Old 04-17-2012, 12:26 PM
rx794
Registered Member

I know I haven't posted in a while because I've been asking around and I've come to the conclusion that NO ONE has a modified 7AT transmission and/or modified higher HP car with a modified 7AT transmission! Guess my turbo is on the back burner until someone decides to be the transmission guinea pig.
Old 04-27-2012, 03:03 PM
wattles
Registered Member

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
Thumbs up

I know I haven't posted in a while because I've been asking around and I've come to the conclusion that NO ONE has a modified 7AT transmission and/or modified higher HP car with a modified 7AT transmission! Guess my turbo is on the back burner until someone decides to be the transmission guinea pig.
My 2012 IPL is at Sam's shop getting a valve body upgrade. I don't expect to have 650 Whp when all is said and done, but in about 2-3 weeks I'll have some input on how it shifts and how the difference between D & DS are.
My goals were a good fat chunk of hp increase ~500 but still maintain engine/tranny life an drivability.
I am excited to see how it turns out. I'll post results
Old 04-27-2012, 07:53 PM
rx794
Registered Member

Originally Posted by wattles
My 2012 IPL is at Sam's shop getting a valve body upgrade. I don't expect to have 650 Whp when all is said and done, but in about 2-3 weeks I'll have some input on how it shifts and how the difference between D & DS are.
My goals were a good fat chunk of hp increase ~500 but still maintain engine/tranny life an drivability.
I am excited to see how it turns out. I'll post results
Wattles, thanks. Please lemme know how it turns out and report on this thread.
Old 08-26-2012, 02:43 PM
wattles
Registered Member

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
Wattles, thanks. Please lemme know how it turns out and report on this thread.
Update on the GTM valve body upgrade:
Got the car back and pushing north of 500whp with 7AT and VB upgrade.
The car shifts much firmer now. The lag is about 40-50% less than it had stock. It doesn't punch you in the back, which I didn't want, but it does shift harder and faster than before for sure!
I drove one of Sam's stage four AT's while picking up the car. The stage four was much harder with seriously fast shift times. That would certainly be BEST if you wanted to track the car. I personally have no need to track the car, nor does my wife want to drive a jerky, ultra torquey car. This is one reason I stayed stock AT and variable boost control I can set to hi or low with a push of a button.

I am very happy with the finished product. Only time will tell if my stock 7AT with the VB upgrade will handle my power & torque TT combined with my driving style.
Old 08-27-2012, 02:57 AM
Sam@GTM
Banned

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts
Old 08-27-2012, 06:50 AM
G37Sam
Administrator

Received 243 Likes on 193 Posts
Wow! That thing was shifting like a Double Clutch Transmission on Race Mode!
Old 08-27-2012, 01:40 PM
superchargedg

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Nice work and a big plus for the 7at guys.
Old 08-27-2012, 05:58 PM
SharpByCoop

Excellent. I have a woodie now.

Coop

Quick Reply: Any modified 7 speed Auto transmissions? Experiences please!