Engine, Drivetrain & Forced-Induction
Have Technical Questions or Done Modifications to the G37? Find out the answer in here!

7 speed AT complaint posts

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-2012, 02:04 PM
forrmark

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts
7 speed AT complaint posts

My 2011 G37 was purchased new in November and I don't understand all the posts complaining about the 7speed automatic. Mine shifts like all other automatic trans that I have had in other cars. In other words, no problems.
Should I be expecting problems in the future?
Old 02-06-2012, 03:54 PM
moomax

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I got my 2011 in january of last year and at first I didn't notice it... Then a few weeks in I started to notice my car failing to accelerate when I stepped on the gas on the highway. It doesn't happen all the time... I find it happens more when you just got done accelerating off an on ramp and onto the highway and have eased up on the gas then go to press it down harder again to switch lanes. Its scary when u go to switch lanes and ur car doesnt want to go forward! Then it RAPIDLY ramps up! I can very easily see someone loosing control of their car cause of this. I also noticed it happens when in stop and go traffic. I slightly press the gas to get it to move up slowly but it WONT go! It just waits... then 2 seconds later it harshly kicks in!
Old 02-06-2012, 04:33 PM
k.diaz1105

Exclamation

I've felt this same exact thing in my 2009 G37 S Sedan & I've taken it to the dealer like 2-3 times complaining about it and they say that they'll fix it, but never do. It gets better the first couple of days and then it comes back.

Originally Posted by moomax
I got my 2011 in january of last year and at first I didn't notice it... Then a few weeks in I started to notice my car failing to accelerate when I stepped on the gas on the highway. It doesn't happen all the time... I find it happens more when you just got done accelerating off an on ramp and onto the highway and have eased up on the gas then go to press it down harder again to switch lanes. Its scary when u go to switch lanes and ur car doesnt want to go forward! Then it RAPIDLY ramps up! I can very easily see someone loosing control of their car cause of this. I also noticed it happens when in stop and go traffic. I slightly press the gas to get it to move up slowly but it WONT go! It just waits... then 2 seconds later it harshly kicks in!
Old 02-06-2012, 05:54 PM
cereal2k
Mr. Drop it like it's hot

Received 39 Likes on 31 Posts
That's the cost of fuel efficiency guys. You will be at a higher gear that much quick with the 7AT, resulting in the slow push when stepping on it. So in short by design.

Options are get it tuned, use paddle shifter/gear shifter to downshift to a loweer gear when wanting to pass quickly for example, or get the hypertech pocket tuner.

To the original poster you will not have any issues, unless you need to make a very quick acceleration at cruising speeds.
Old 02-06-2012, 09:01 PM
MalbecG37S

Received 30 Likes on 21 Posts
Originally Posted by forrmark
My 2011 G37 was purchased new in November and I don't understand all the posts complaining about the 7speed automatic. Mine shifts like all other automatic trans that I have had in other cars. In other words, no problems.
Should I be expecting problems in the future?
I was going to post the same. I got a 2012 in Dec. No issues. And after reading all about the issues, I am very sensitive to it. There is an occasional awkward shift - but I've sensed the same from other auto's I've driven (came from an '06 350ZR auto (5 speed)).

The smoothest shifting vehicle was my '09 Murano - and that is because it was a CVT! That trans drove me nuts for other reasons....

To OP - just enjoy your G...I'm loving mine!
Old 02-06-2012, 10:18 PM
JDUB916

Aaaaaaaah ok, yes I too have felt that several times... So there is a dealership reflash to address this?
Old 02-06-2012, 11:22 PM
cereal2k

Originally Posted by JDUB916
Aaaaaaaah ok, yes I too have felt that several times... So there is a dealership reflash to address this?
Do search for the 7AT reprogram threads for the sharp downshifts if it's a bit too sporty. This is the TSB I'm referring to https://www.myg37.com/forums/tsb-tec...reprogram.html. There is no fix for the lag. I personally have no issue with the 7AT except for the lag, which is significantly reduced with the hypertech.

Last edited by cereal2k; 02-07-2012 at 07:00 PM.
Old 02-07-2012, 01:30 AM
moomax

Well if this is "by design" then i'd say thats a pretty ****ty design as no car i've ever driven has had a lag like this and its outright dangerous. My friend's BMW 335xi has similar power and gas millage yet he doesn't have to worry if hes about to be rear ended when trying to switch lanes... I'd easily trade off an extra mpg or 10 or so hp to get rid of this problem.

What's interesting about it, is sometimes the problem doesn't even happen! I can rapidly ramp this thing up and down with no lag sometimes yet others I can't even get it to slowly ride up. If it was a delay due to having to switch through all the gears then why does the issue not always occur when rapidly accelerating yet will when doing a slow shift? Additionally, any of the 2012's i've driven either don't have this issue or its definitely been reduced so there must be something infiniti can do!
Old 02-07-2012, 01:54 AM
k.diaz1105

Infiniti told me they were going to reprogram something that should fix the problem? I honestly don't know what, but if they did do that, it didn't fix the problem.
Old 02-07-2012, 04:06 PM
Almatti

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
cereal2k: You seem to propose that you have the answer that Infiniti Engineers cannot supply or won't supply. How can that be, with so many Unhappy Campers out here now. The list is mounting. I hope you new guys posting here and on the other Thread are emailing or calling your complaints in to Infiniti... There is power in numbers... This may need to lead to some sort of Class Action Complaint to Attorneys General, Better Business Bureaus, etc.....You should read my posts of pursuit of satisfaction that I have been involved with for 1 year. I still demand satisfaction.
Old 02-07-2012, 06:50 PM
cereal2k

Originally Posted by Almatti
cereal2k: You seem to propose that you have the answer that Infiniti Engineers cannot supply or won't supply. How can that be, with so many Unhappy Campers out here now. The list is mounting. I hope you new guys posting here and on the other Thread are emailing or calling your complaints in to Infiniti... There is power in numbers... This may need to lead to some sort of Class Action Complaint to Attorneys General, Better Business Bureaus, etc.....You should read my posts of pursuit of satisfaction that I have been involved with for 1 year. I still demand satisfaction.
I'm saying the lag would not be something I think Infiniti will take care of. The jerkiness on the downshifting they have a TSB for is all. I did leave out one other option which is driving in DS mode all the time. Yes there is power in numbers, but there may be a big difference in number of complaints on a forum, vs number of complaints to customer care/dealership against all 7AT cars sold for the lag. Maybe not enough for them to do any "fix". I would not hold my breath is all I'm saying.
Old 02-07-2012, 06:54 PM
Tazicon

Received 24 Likes on 23 Posts
I have zero complaints after having the 7AT for 7 months and 12,000 miles on the G and 2 months and 4,000 miles on the Z.
Old 02-07-2012, 06:54 PM
cereal2k

Originally Posted by moomax
Well if this is "by design" then i'd say thats a pretty ****ty design as no car i've ever driven has had a lag like this and its outright dangerous. My friend's BMW 335xi has similar power and gas millage yet he doesn't have to worry if hes about to be rear ended when trying to switch lanes... I'd easily trade off an extra mpg or 10 or so hp to get rid of this problem.

What's interesting about it, is sometimes the problem doesn't even happen! I can rapidly ramp this thing up and down with no lag sometimes yet others I can't even get it to slowly ride up. If it was a delay due to having to switch through all the gears then why does the issue not always occur when rapidly accelerating yet will when doing a slow shift? Additionally, any of the 2012's i've driven either don't have this issue or its definitely been reduced so there must be something infiniti can do!
BMW's have a bit more torque , and yes I've seen where the log does not happen all the time. I think it would depend on which gear you are at before you step on the accelerator.
Old 02-07-2012, 08:28 PM
movinon

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by Tazicon
I have zero complaints after having the 7AT for 7 months and 12,000 miles on the G and 2 months and 4,000 miles on the Z.
I've had my 2010 sedan, with 7speed auto, for almost 2 years and have put around 18,000 miles on it. I also have zero complaints.
Old 02-07-2012, 09:20 PM
tejasg37x

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I only notice the lag if I try to "stomp" on the accelerator too quickly...if I'm a little easier on "stomping" on the accelerator, it's not bad and seems to accelerate quicker initially and smoother.
I've had to learn where that point is of pushing the accelerator too quickly, but also quick enough to accelerate like I want. There's a fine line there, but I feel like I know where it is now...
Does anyone else feel like this about theirs? Or tried this?

Quick Reply: 7 speed AT complaint posts