Engine, Drivetrain & Forced-Induction
Have Technical Questions or Done Modifications to the G37? Find out the answer in here!

7 speed AT complaint posts

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-2012, 05:02 PM
Almatti

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
JohnEnglish, I'm relatively sure that the mileage ratings on the 2009 and 2010 are different. Although the 2009s seem to be included in this "problem", many of the complaints are from 2010 and 2011 owners (not an official tally by any means). I know you posted way back that you do not experience these lagging issues. All the power to you. For those of us that do, and there are many of us unfortunately, Shame on Infiniti for not fixing this.
Old 02-10-2012, 05:05 PM
Almatti

Originally Posted by sniper27
what he said.
"What he said...." +1
Old 02-10-2012, 05:17 PM
mikeb2004

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by awais
However, this is NOT the same lag everyone here is talking about. It's the Gas, Brake, Gas situations that usually cause this lag. For example, you're driving at 40, the car infront of you makes a right turn, you brake medium/hard to slow down to 15, you press gas again to speed up and your car will literally not react for 1-2 seconds. Then you feel like someone hit you from behind, even if you're gentle on the throttle.

Other times I have noticed this is if you're turning right with some speed. You brake as you're entering the turn, then when exiting the turn you give some gas, the car will take some time to respond.
EXACTLY ++++1. This is my main complaint which I also just tried to describe in another post too.

Old 02-10-2012, 05:33 PM
Almatti

Sorry I really think you're blowing it out of proportion. You're complaining that vanilla ice cream is cold and tastes like vanilla.

Drive in DS, or use the dumb flappy paddle.<!-- google_ad_section_end -->

Beer, That's the point: I didn't get cold vanilla ice cream...more like warm chocolate ice cream that Looks Like Cold Vanilla Ice Cream.

I rant about this b/c I expect my car for which I pay good money, to deliver the performance and driving pleasure that makes me want to get in my car and drive. That is how the car is marketed. My 2007 G35X did...That car had responsiveness, none of this lagging and hesitation. Just a great sporty, invigorating drive. I expected exactly the same AND better when I traded "UP" to the G37X, more HP should've equalled More Fun...it Hasn't.

I don't look forward to the bucking, quirkiness, and hesitation I experience with this vehicle. Yes, I drove it many times in DS mode....sometimes it's worse. I would be very glad to give up 1.5 MPG difference and have the better performance.

Good Luck to all waiting for the fix.... I'll post if I get anywhere else with this.

<!-- / message -->
Old 02-10-2012, 11:31 PM
HappyG

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Beer Magazine
Use DS or M and your issues will go away.
100% NOT TRUE

I'm not trying to be a ***** about this, but honestly if you think that more hp or a quicker reacting car is "less prone to accidents" you're just making bad decisions. A 458 will still let people make bad decisions...faster.
It is the unpredictable behavior that will cause an accident. Has nothing to do with more or less horse power.
Old 02-11-2012, 10:10 AM
gugarci

Originally Posted by Almatti
JohnEnglish, I'm relatively sure that the mileage ratings on the 2009 and 2010 are different. Although the 2009s seem to be included in this "problem", many of the complaints are from 2010 and 2011 owners (not an official tally by any means). I know you posted way back that you do not experience these lagging issues. All the power to you. For those of us that do, and there are many of us unfortunately, Shame on Infiniti for not fixing this.
I also have 09, I don't experience the lagging, and I tend to drive on the aggressive side.

From Infiniti help
2009 G
RWD EPA 18-26
X EPA 18-25
6 MT EPA 17-25
2009 Infiniti G37 Sedan Specifications | Infinitihelp.com

2010, 2011, 2012 G's
RWD EPA 19-27
X EPA 18-25
6 MT EPA 17-25
2010 Infiniti G37 Sedan Specifications | Infinitihelp.com
2011 Infiniti G37 Sedan Specifications | Infinitihelp.com
2012 Infiniti G37 Sedan Specifications | Infinitihelp.com

Maybe they made a slight tweak to the gearbox to eek out a little bit better mileage out of 2010 + models. But if they did it only made a minuscule difference in the RWD G's.
Old 02-11-2012, 04:03 PM
Beer Magazine

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by HappyG
100% NOT TRUE

It is the unpredictable behavior that will cause an accident. Has nothing to do with more or less horse power.

Again, if you feel the tranny is part of an "accident" you should drive better or gotten something else than AT. They ALL do this, and while I feel like it's an excuse that dealers use it's calling a pig a pig. An automatic transmission doesn't do what YOU want it to, because it's automatic.

I had an 7AT and it didn't do that, but it was annoying because it was lazy around town. But I knew this isn't a defect...it's a result of getting a transmission with lots of gears and expecting it to be where I wanted to be without ME being in charge of it.

Blaming an accident on lack of power, or too many gears is what's wrong with this country. A Civic has terrible power and an AT, does that make it dangerous? No.

I'm sorry to hear people don't like the behavior of something they bought, but honestly it's what an AT is. EVERY SINGLE FREAKING "ENTHUSIAST" FORUM I'VE BEEN ON COMPLAINS ABOUT THIS...my reply is if you really car about "performance" you would not be driving AT if given the option of MT. I thought I didn't care enough and got AT in my Vert, but honestly I wasn't happy...and I'm not blaming the car for my unhappiness...

Drive MT. Be Happy.
Old 02-11-2012, 04:27 PM
tejasg37x

Again, if you feel the tranny is part of an "accident" you should drive better or gotten something else than AT. They ALL do this, and while I feel like it's an excuse that dealers use it's calling a pig a pig. An automatic transmission doesn't do what YOU want it to, because it's automatic.

I had an 7AT and it didn't do that, but it was annoying because it was lazy around town. But I knew this isn't a defect...it's a result of getting a transmission with lots of gears and expecting it to be where I wanted to be without ME being in charge of it.

Blaming an accident on lack of power, or too many gears is what's wrong with this country. A Civic has terrible power and an AT, does that make it dangerous? No.

I'm sorry to hear people don't like the behavior of something they bought, but honestly it's what an AT is. EVERY SINGLE FREAKING "ENTHUSIAST" FORUM I'VE BEEN ON COMPLAINS ABOUT THIS...my reply is if you really car about "performance" you would not be driving AT if given the option of MT. I thought I didn't care enough and got AT in my Vert, but honestly I wasn't happy...and I'm not blaming the car for my unhappiness...

Drive MT. Be Happy.
I tend to agree with your statement about accidents...if someone is in a position where the "lag" causes an accident, they most likely were already putting themselves in a bad position. I see this kind of driving every day in the DFW area in Texas...the people that dart in and out of traffic.

Last edited by tejasg37x; 02-11-2012 at 06:58 PM.
Old 02-11-2012, 08:35 PM
HappyG

This is the one and the only one AT transmission that is not safe. Every other AT transmission that I have driven are safer because they were all predictable. This is true at least for me.

You keep on saying all AT do this. But me, myself, and I have never driven a AT like this.

You sound like an AT expert. I respect that. Say whatever you want about this 7AT or any AT, but to me, my 7AT is a defect. I drive my G everyday. I know the difference between this AT and all my other AT vehicles I have owned. You have driven NONE of my vehicles. And you are claiming that all my other AT behave this way??? WOW! You must be a genius.
Old 02-11-2012, 08:38 PM
HappyG

Originally Posted by tejasg37x
I tend to agree with your statement about accidents...if someone is in a position where the "lag" causes an accident, they most likely were already putting themselves in a bad position. I see this kind of driving every day in the DFW area in Texas...the people that dart in and out of traffic.
It is not the lag that would cause an accident. It is the unpredictability behavior of my 7AT that could potentially cause an accident. Big difference.
Old 02-11-2012, 08:49 PM
Beer Magazine

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
If you're going to start to cry and question me then you can kiss my ***

But what everybody is complaining about is AT transmissions in general. I've owned one from EVERY premium brand and been on forums where there was non-stop complaining about AT transmissions.

What people are complaining about is the inherent nature of what you bought...it's like complaining a computer uses electricity or your shoes make it so you can't feel the ground.

Instead of just bitching...listen and understand.

The software is slanted toward MPG. So when it "learns" it really just goes lazy. That's what saves gas, the highest gear the lowest RPM. It's very simple.

When people "reset" the learning they simply drive it where MPG isn't a priority and the car goes into a "sport mode" aka...DS. This makes it hold gears, and go down one gear (if it normally cruised in 6th it will now be in 5th).

When somebody asks the car to go from 6th gear at 30-40 (2-3K rpm) it needs to down shift to the right gear and that can be 3-4 gears. And despite all the stat racers here an AT tranny cannot skip gears. So it must go 7-6-5-4-3-2 and each step is a delay.

In an MT you can go from 6th to 2nd direct, therefore less time. So when you feel that you wanted to pull out into traffic at the wrong time or punch it while cruising the car has a built in delay. It's not an F1 car or a big V8 with torque. You "stomping the gas" makes the car downshift, and then since you can't wait you get mad and push it farther down. When it finally goes in the gear required for what you ask it is over compensated...sometime referred to as a Rubber Band effect...and you get a "surge" and then you left off..which tells the tranny to go back to higher gears.

So, genius, it's not rocket science but people online tend to bitch about stuff and think they are being wronged. The wrong is simple. Buy an MT and you won't have that lag.

But there will be a throttle lag with MT, and just like my previous BMW with MT people bitch about that too. The internet is source for people to cry together and get behind things...that sometimes really isn't a cause at all.

Drive the car hard, use DS or use those paddles and most of your problems will be gone. You act like I didn't have a 7AT G37 for 2+years. When I decided i remembered why I don't like AT...I went to the dealer and now drive MT.

Go out side, drive your car like you think you're a racecar and have a good time.

This is the one and the only one AT transmission that is not safe. Every other AT transmission that I have driven are safer because they were all predictable. This is true at least for me.

You keep on saying all AT do this. But me, myself, and I have never driven a AT like this.

You sound like an AT expert. I respect that. Say whatever you want about this 7AT or any AT, but to me, my 7AT is a defect. I drive my G everyday. I know the difference between this AT and all my other AT vehicles I have owned. You have driven NONE of my vehicles. And you are claiming that all my other AT behave this way??? WOW! You must be a genius.
Old 02-11-2012, 09:08 PM
HappyG

Beer, every single AT I have driven worked beautifully, except my G's AT. No complaints whatsoever with my other AT.
Old 02-11-2012, 09:17 PM
mikeb2004

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Whether you follow it by a wink or not, this "don't question me" is a defense mechanism for those who are not knowledgeable on the subject but whose ego desperately wants to be "right". It's a signal to the reader to use their B.S filter. Just so you know.

But what everybody is complaining about is AT transmissions in general. I've owned one from EVERY premium brand and been on forums where there was non-stop complaining about AT transmissions.
No, that has not been my experience. ALL of my other current cars (many) and past cars do not have the problems this car has.

What people are complaining about is the inherent nature of what you bought...it's like complaining a computer uses electricity or your shoes make it so you can't feel the ground.
NO that is not what we are complaining about. If you get off your soapbox for 2 seconds and read our posts, you might better understand what we are complaining about.

When somebody asks the car to go from 6th gear at 30-40 (2-3K rpm) it needs to down shift to the right gear and that can be 3-4 gears. And despite all the stat racers here an AT tranny cannot skip gears. So it must go 7-6-5-4-3-2 and each step is a delay.
Absolutely 100% wrong, as I said before. Autos skip gears. They always have. This is NOT a sequential gearbox! Please read the service manual and read about automatic transmissions.

So, genius, it's not rocket science but people online tend to bitch about stuff and think they are being wronged. The wrong is simple. Buy an MT and you won't have that lag.
No, Genius, you're missing the point because you are convinced that all of us are delusional and don't know our own cars.

Sure, people very often think they are being wronged and they bitch about it, and often they are the ones who are wrong.

However, you are using that tendency to generalize about everyone, as if all problems that people bitch about must be false?

Let's review:
1) You don't seem know how an automatic works (your own posts show this).
2) You say you never experienced this problem. So why are you commenting on it and saying it doesn't exist?
3) You don't have the 7AT anymore to even see what we are talking about. I like to work with evidence and facts. You?
4) Your posts show that you have not taken the time to understand the complaint, even though it's been explained multiple times.
5) You misunderstand the actual complaint and then dismiss it, so that you can get on your soapbox about people and transmissions and personal choices and driving habits, none of which you seem to have any understanding about.

Regarding #5: You're putting your conclusion out there first (that we are all wrong and you are right), then trying to make the observations fit. Try this instead. Get actual knowledge on the subject, then draw a conclusion from that. You might find that it (the scientific method) works a lot better than your ego and bias driven approach to "thinking".

Drive the car hard, use DS or use those paddles and most of your problems will be gone. You act like I didn't have a 7AT G37 for 2+years. When I decided i remembered why I don't like AT...I went to the dealer and now drive MT.
Again, wrong. It does not work. You'd know this if you read other's posts, and you have no respect for anyone who does not agree with you. Good for you that you like your MT. We bought an automatic expecting an automatic that works about as well as those in all of our other cars. Automatics aren't perfect, they aren't instantaneous. We are not asking for that, we have driven other automatics and they do not have the problems of this 7AT. This 7AT has unpredictability issues that NO other automatic trans has in my experience with dozens of cars, current and past.

I'm sorry to say that your opinion here comes across as rather useless, and it is offensive to those of us who know what we are taking about and are basing our comments on actual observations and evidence of what is actually happening with the vehicle. You are just ridiculing others and preaching on a topic about which you are completely uninformed, biased and obnoxious. It's not helping anyone, because you're clearly not equipped to listen nor help. Why not let the folks with information share it with each other, and not keep rambling on about how we must all be wrong because you think you're so smart. Your misinformation about automatics in general only serves to create confusion, and shows that your comments have no place in a constructive discussion of what is clearly a very unique problem to this 7AT.

Last edited by mikeb2004; 02-12-2012 at 12:56 PM.
Old 02-11-2012, 10:22 PM
g37guy01

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Instead of just bitching...listen and understand.

The software is slanted toward MPG. So when it "learns" it really just goes lazy. That's what saves gas, the highest gear the lowest RPM. It's very simple.

When people "reset" the learning they simply drive it where MPG isn't a priority and the car goes into a "sport mode" aka...DS. This makes it hold gears, and go down one gear (if it normally cruised in 6th it will now be in 5th).

In an MT you can go from 6th to 2nd direct, therefore less time. So when you feel that you wanted to pull out into traffic at the wrong time or punch it while cruising the car has a built in delay. It's not an F1 car or a big V8 with torque. You "stomping the gas" makes the car downshift, and then since you can't wait you get mad and push it farther down. When it finally goes in the gear required for what you ask it is over compensated...sometime referred to as a Rubber Band effect...and you get a "surge" and then you left off..which tells the tranny to go back to higher gears.

But there will be a throttle lag with MT, and just like my previous BMW with MT people bitch about that too. The internet is source for people to cry together and get behind things...that sometimes really isn't a cause at all.

Go out side, drive your car like you think you're a racecar and have a good time.
The problem is the tranny waits to long before doing anything. As soon as the gas is pressed the torque converter should unlock and the tranny should start downshifting. But then the masses would complain about poor gas mileage.
Old 02-11-2012, 10:23 PM
bluecoupe
Registered Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

+1. I'm always amazed how people who are not having any problems are so quick to dismiss it as user error... Did every G with the bbk have judder? Did every 08 need a new muffler? Did every 08/09 have a peeling gauge cluster?

Seriously Beer, you live in socal right? You never had to step on it to pass some idiot on the freeway or nail it merging from the on ramp? When i stomp on the pedal and nothing happens for 1-2 seconds (recorded by an oem installed data recorder), that's me doing something wrong? FYI, i was in DS @ the time

Quick Reply: 7 speed AT complaint posts