Engine, Drivetrain & Forced-Induction
Have Technical Questions or Done Modifications to the G37? Find out the answer in here!

7 speed AT complaint posts

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-2012, 07:52 PM
Beer Magazine

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I don't think there isn't a delay, I think you're blaming it on the wrong things. It's not the tranny it's the controls.

And in some part people thinking it should do something "more" than the reality.
Old 02-09-2012, 07:58 PM
gugarci

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by sniper27
it seems you "defend" the 7AT a lot. just because you learned to ignore it and it's not an issue to you, it doesn't make it acceptable. Sounds like you have the symptoms, but simply decided to ignore it or work around it. Either way, it's not acceptable and one shouldn't have to "work around" it.
Don't know if my car has the symptoms or not since I don't notice the lag. When I need to get my car moving quickly on the hwy, I just give it some gas and it goes. My 09 have never been reflashed. I only defend the 7AT when people make bold statement like they all have this issue and the 7AT is a POS. As far as I'm concerned all auto gearboxes are quirky.
Old 02-09-2012, 08:00 PM
Beer Magazine

Originally Posted by gugarci
Don't know if my car has the symptoms or not since I don't notice the lag. When I need to get my car moving quickly on the hwy, I just give it some gas and it goes. My 09 have never been reflashed. I only defend the 7AT when people make bold statement like they all have this issue and the 7AT is a POS. As far as I'm concerned all auto gearboxes are quirky.

I agree, and it's funny when people ignore some of the cause of this being that it IS an AUTO and can't switch gears from 7-2 or 7-3...it has to shift 7,6,5,4,3,2,1 in order, every time.
Old 02-09-2012, 08:22 PM
sniper27

Received 79 Likes on 72 Posts
I'll agree with that. All AT gearboxes have quirks...but I guess of all the ones I've driven, this has been the worse one in my experience. All AT needs to shift in order, but I guess what I'm saying is, this one is just not as refined and definitely can be improved drastically.
Old 02-09-2012, 08:33 PM
MalbecG37S

Received 30 Likes on 21 Posts
Originally Posted by sniper27
it seems you "defend" the 7AT a lot. just because you learned to ignore it and it's not an issue to you, it doesn't make it acceptable. Sounds like you have the symptoms, but simply decided to ignore it or work around it. Either way, it's not acceptable and one shouldn't have to "work around" it.
If the 'symptom' is seemingly holding onto a higher gear - or a much delayed downshift - I know what you are talking about. I had that on my '06 350ZR. It had the 5sp auto. Few occasions I would my foot through the floorboard, and it would hold onto a higher gear way too long. But - I've noticed that in every auto car I've owned - from my Z, MDX, X5 and 540, etc. I haven't yet experienced it in my G - probably will. But I have never owned an auto that did everything I wanted it to do.

I agree with the other poster regarding an auto's inability to skip gears. When in 7th and you want say...2nd - it's got a long way to go!

To me, this is all in the name of fuel economy. It wants the highest gear possible to squeeze out an extra MPG.

But - this is just my opinion....everyone is entitled to their own..
Old 02-09-2012, 09:20 PM
Yosemite Dan

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by MalbecG37S
If the 'symptom' is seemingly holding onto a higher gear - or a much delayed downshift - I know what you are talking about. I had that on my '06 350ZR. It had the 5sp auto. Few occasions I would my foot through the floorboard, and it would hold onto a higher gear way too long. But - I've noticed that in every auto car I've owned - from my Z, MDX, X5 and 540, etc. I haven't yet experienced it in my G - probably will. But I have never owned an auto that did everything I wanted it to do.

I agree with the other poster regarding an auto's inability to skip gears. When in 7th and you want say...2nd - it's got a long way to go!

To me, this is all in the name of fuel economy. It wants the highest gear possible to squeeze out an extra MPG.

Mirrors my thought exactly. I've owned alot of cars and they all had tranny quirks. It's par for the course. You want instant shifting to the right gear then buy a manual. Case closed. I drove a buddy's 335i for a couple of hours last month and it hesitated here and there and found it no worse or better than my g37.
Old 02-09-2012, 09:20 PM
Beer Magazine

Exactly, every car forum I've been a part of the AT is always complained about.

It is an emissions issue, as I stated it won't let the engine be dumped with fuel so it will pause on the input. And with AT if you want to "Punch" it and then complain it downshifts and over-revs...its just what you are asking it to do...go faster.

My suggestion is this...learn to drive MT and you'll complain less As I stated, I had an 09 vert with AT and I decided that MT was what I needed.

Originally Posted by MalbecG37S

Old 02-10-2012, 12:18 PM
Almatti

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Malbec: your statement about MPGs is correct. The District Manager in July 2011, and the more recent Factory Tech [he monitored the entitre test drive with feedback to a connected PC] test drives of my car, both of these folks confirmed : the car reaches the highest gear possible to achieve MPGs. They have to meet Fleet requirments. All in the sacrifice of performance. The both admitted to "feeling" the Hesitation & "seeing" the lagging gear hunting (The Factory Tech did).... but as I reported on the OTHER THREAD, other than replacing the Tranny with complete new software, there is nothing currently available to FIX this. I justed DEMANDED a return of my leased car w/o any further obligation and I want all of my upfront $$$$ paid (TTL) at lease inception. Good Luck to Me ....LOL
Old 02-10-2012, 12:25 PM
Beer Magazine

Originally Posted by Almatti
Malbec: your statement about MPGs is correct. The District Manager in July 2011, and the more recent Factory Tech [he monitored the entitre test drive with feedback to a connected PC] test drives of my car, both of these folks confirmed : the car reaches the highest gear possible to achieve MPGs. They have to meet Fleet requirments. All in the sacrifice of performance. The both admitted to "feeling" the Hesitation & "seeing" the lagging gear hunting (The Factory Tech did).... but as I reported on the OTHER THREAD, other than replacing the Tranny with complete new software, there is nothing currently available to FIX this. I justed DEMANDED a return of my leased car w/o any further obligation and I want all of my upfront $$$$ paid (TTL) at lease inception. Good Luck to Me ....LOL
Sorry I really think you're blowing it out of proportion. You're complaining that vanilla ice cream is cold and tastes like vanilla.

Drive in DS, or use the dumb flappy paddle.
Old 02-10-2012, 12:57 PM
HappyG

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Beer Magazine
Sorry I really think you're blowing it out of proportion. You're complaining that vanilla ice cream is cold and tastes like vanilla.

Drive in DS, or use the dumb flappy paddle.
He is not blowing it out of proportion. At least my experience with my 7AT matches what he describes. You can say whatever you want, but for me, this 7AT on my G37x has a mind of it's own. To me it is a defect. And as I have mentioned long ago, it almost caused an accident. By the way, this it is not like the first AT I ever drive...I know how a normal AT feel and act like...this is the first one that act intermittently and lag for as long as a few seconds.
Old 02-10-2012, 02:16 PM
JohnEnglish
Registered Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My 2009 G37 was part of the first batch sent to North America. I've never had any problems with the transmission. It's always smooth and quick to downshift.

I've driven the 5AT and would take the 7AT over the 5AT any day.

Last edited by JohnEnglish; 02-10-2012 at 02:25 PM.
Old 02-10-2012, 02:29 PM
Beer Magazine

Originally Posted by HappyG
He is not blowing it out of proportion. At least my experience with my 7AT matches what he describes. You can say whatever you want, but for me, this 7AT on my G37x has a mind of it's own. To me it is a defect. And as I have mentioned long ago, it almost caused an accident. By the way, this it is not like the first AT I ever drive...I know how a normal AT feel and act like...this is the first one that act intermittently and lag for as long as a few seconds.
Use DS or M and your issues will go away.

I'm not trying to be a ***** about this, but honestly if you think that more hp or a quicker reacting car is "less prone to accidents" you're just making bad decisions. A 458 will still let people make bad decisions...faster.

When you're cruising and in 6-7 it's NOT going to react fast...period. It would be like being in 6th gear with MT and thinking that "punching it" is going to do something. It's a V6, geared for MPG on the top and doesn't have TQ of a V8, or FI at 1-3K RPM. Therefore it needs to downshift, and in a tranny with lots of gears...multiple times. That creates a "pause in reaction" of any car.

So drive in DS, or if you feel like you are playing race car or avoiding doom..drive in M and shift...you'll find that even clicking down gears like that takes more time...

Seems like the world needs to get back in love with Manual...even though there is a lag there too since it's not like an old car with carbs.
Old 02-10-2012, 04:29 PM
mikeb2004

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
can't switch gears from 7-2 or 7-3...it has to shift 7,6,5,4,3,2,1 in order, every time.
Use DS or M and your issues will go away

Sorry, both of these statements are absolutely 100% wrong.

Autos including this one can switch from one gear to any other gear directly. This is not a sequential gearbox, just a regular auto. Check your service manual. And DS does not solve the problem. M defeats the purpose of having an auto, and by the way it also does not fix the problem. Of course I can see from your posts that you're not going to listen to any of this.

The programming on this 7AT is the problem. Too much supposed thinking, too much wizardry and gee-whiz rev matching perhaps. I don't know, but they need to fix it.

I have a bunch of other cars here, all automatics, 5AT, 7AT, 6AT, expensive cars, cheap cars, new cars, slightly older cars, american, european, asian. NONE of them exhibit the problems of the 7AT. The 5AT in the G35 here never ever has the problems of the 7AT.

Just because YOU do not perceive a problem, it does not mean that the rest of us with perhaps more perception into the problem are "wrong". May as well get off your soapbox of arrogance too while you are at it. If you like the car fine. People who you don't agree with do not benefit from your ridicule and your mis-informed opinions. If you like the 7AT just as it is, that's great for you.

Last edited by mikeb2004; 02-10-2012 at 05:18 PM.
Old 02-10-2012, 04:50 PM
awais
Registered Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
Use DS or M and your issues will go away.
No, not true. I have driven in both DS and M. This lag will eventually show up in DS mode.

In M if you downshift yourself and keep the engine at 2-3K rpm it's fine. If you let the car downshift itself in M when slowing down you can notice the lag.

When you're cruising and in 6-7 it's NOT going to react fast...period.
That reaction time for the transmission to shift from 7th to 4th or 3rd is quite understandable, and I don't think anyone here is arguing this. This can be controlled by not slamming the throttle.

However, this is NOT the same lag everyone here is talking about. It's the Gas, Brake, Gas situations that usually cause this lag. For example, you're driving at 40, the car infront of you makes a right turn, you brake medium/hard to slow down to 15, you press gas again to speed up and your car will literally not react for 1-2 seconds. Then you feel like someone hit you from behind, even if you're gentle on the throttle.

Other times I have noticed this is if you're turning right with some speed. You brake as you're entering the turn, then when exiting the turn you give some gas, the car will take some time to respond.
Old 02-10-2012, 04:57 PM
sniper27

Received 79 Likes on 72 Posts
Originally Posted by mikeb2004
Sorry, both statements are absolutely 100% wrong.

Autos including this one can switch from one gear to any other gear directly. This is not a sequential gearbox, just a regular auto. Check your service manual. And DS does not solve the problem. M defeats the purpose of having an auto, and by the way it also does not fix the problem. Of course I can see from your posts that you're not going to listen to any of this.

The programming on this 7AT is the problem. Too much supposed thinking, too much wizardry and gee-whiz rev matching perhaps. I don't know, but they need to fix it.

I have a bunch of other cars here, all automatics, 5AT, 7AT, 6AT, expensive cars, cheap cars, new cars, slightly older cars, american, european, asian. NONE of them exhibit the problems of the 7AT. The 5AT in the G35 here never ever has the problems of the 7AT.

Just because YOU do not perceive a problem, it does not mean that the rest of us with perhaps more perception into the problem are "wrong". May as well get off your soapbox of arrogance too while you are at it. If you like the car fine. People who you don't agree with do not benefit from your ridicule and your mis-informed opinions. If you like the 7AT just as it is, that's great for you.
what he said.

Quick Reply: 7 speed AT complaint posts