Engine, Drivetrain & Forced-Induction
Have Technical Questions or Done Modifications to the G37? Find out the answer in here!

7 speed AT complaint posts

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-2012, 03:40 PM
qirex

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
If you see my post in the thread below this; I think it's time to pin a warning to those looking to get into an 7AT g37.
Old 02-08-2012, 04:20 PM
gugarci

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
You can't compare the 2001 Sentra's 4 speed auto to the G's 7 speed auto. The G needs to downshift form 7th to either 4th or 3rd gear to get moving when floored from the hwy. The Sentra probably did not need to downshift, and if it did it downshifted to 3rd.

Regardless for me the lag is not an issue.

Last edited by gugarci; 02-08-2012 at 05:02 PM.
Old 02-08-2012, 06:19 PM
jb606

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Beer Magazine
Otherwise do what I did...go to the dealer and get an MT instead. Much better. No complaints.
I would have if Infiniti would offer a 6MT w/AWD!!! I'd be willing to pay extra even.

On topic, the 7AT isn't bad once you learn to drive it.
Old 02-08-2012, 06:34 PM
00Max00

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
My G doesn't have down shift delay as many stated here. It just tends to redline the engine every time I give it moderate gas pedal input. It's like down shifting from 7 to 3, more accelerating power than needed.
Old 02-08-2012, 09:14 PM
bingpwr
Registered Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by gugarci
You can't compare the 2001 Sentra's 4 speed auto to the G's 7 speed auto. The G needs to downshift form 7th to either 4th or 3rd gear to get moving when floored from the hwy. The Sentra probably did not need to downshift, and if it did it downshifted to 3rd.

Regardless for me the lag is not an issue.
While I agree with your statement, I will have to say that I get this lag even when I'm in manual mode. When I'm approaching a stop in 3rd gear, I'll let off the gas pedal and gently apply the brakes. I see that I don't have to come to a full stop (still in 3rd gear), so I go back to pressing the gas pedal, but then it won't respond to my input until 1-2 seconds later and then the car jerks really hard as if it just dropped a gear. It's that late throttle response and that really hard jerk that follows it that drives me nuts.

Not to mention that I intermittently can't put gas in my car for whatever reason (tried several different pumps before giving up). Luckily I had a quarter tank of gas, but that's another story...
Old 02-08-2012, 09:46 PM
Beer Magazine

Originally Posted by moomax
NO automatic transmission I have ever driven has sat there doing nothing for 2 seconds! And more importantly, if this is an issue of having to switch down through all the gears, then WHY does this happen when SLOWLY accelerating during traffic as well? Hell, I noticed the issue more when I'm slowly driving then when I'm stepping on it on the highway! The transmission has more than enough time to respond and switch under slow acceleration. Even if we assume this issue is due to all the gears it has to pass through, then it's still a ****ty design! It's like saying "well, I can get my car to hit 60 in 3 seconds but flames shoot out the back". It doesn't matter if the car can hit 60 in 3 seconds when the back end is on fire! Same thing with this transmission -- the saved gas is meaningless if it doesn't drive right! (Hell this AT lag is almost as dangerous as having the back end set on fire -- step on the gas, car does nothing, now ur rear ended at 60mph.. ~enjoy!)
Again,

I think people don't know what they are talking about.

EVERY car enthusiast site I've been a part of Nissan, Infiniti, BMW, and Audi all have people bitching about AT performance/lag. Yes it will shift faster from one gear up or down, but after that it's slower. There is also the fact that ATs are less efficient and put less power to the ground.

Second, you can thank emissions regulations for slower WOT response. To deal with emissions the computer will not "dump" full throttle full into the engine, therefor you get another lag point.

Even with MT you can do the simple "WOT" stomp and feel the lag in the system...it's in EVERY modern car (ones that have a better green house rating do it more).

If you really wanted "performance" you'd get a MT, or at least look for a Dual Clutch system (only then can you argue the technology is better).

Drive in DS and the car won't try to drive around in 7th gear at 1500rpm, or use the paddles. This will reduce any lag.

If you feel like somehow HP/.5 seconds faster response will save your life...well you probably drive like a moron.

I had at 7MT and the response was as expected...slower than my brain wants.
Old 02-09-2012, 02:30 AM
moomax

Originally Posted by Beer Magazine
Again,

I think people don't know what they are talking about.

EVERY car enthusiast site I've been a part of Nissan, Infiniti, BMW, and Audi all have people bitching about AT performance/lag. Yes it will shift faster from one gear up or down, but after that it's slower. There is also the fact that ATs are less efficient and put less power to the ground.

Second, you can thank emissions regulations for slower WOT response. To deal with emissions the computer will not "dump" full throttle full into the engine, therefor you get another lag point.

Even with MT you can do the simple "WOT" stomp and feel the lag in the system...it's in EVERY modern car (ones that have a better green house rating do it more).

If you really wanted "performance" you'd get a MT, or at least look for a Dual Clutch system (only then can you argue the technology is better).

Drive in DS and the car won't try to drive around in 7th gear at 1500rpm, or use the paddles. This will reduce any lag.

If you feel like somehow HP/.5 seconds faster response will save your life...well you probably drive like a moron.

I had at 7MT and the response was as expected...slower than my brain wants.
I would fully agree with you if this issue happened only when I was slamming down the gas, but it occurs when I'm calmly pressing the accelerator during slow traffic as well..... As a matter of fact, hard accelerations usually work quite nicely. Whats also obnoxious about the issue, is even after the lag occurs, the vehicle violently accelerates forward instead of smoothing up into it.

Oh and next time you're on the highway, count two seconds and see how much has happened around you. Watch as other cars travel over 180 feet in the time your car was sitting there trying to figure out what to do. Not having consistent, predictable control over your car for any period of time is dangerous.
Old 02-09-2012, 09:31 AM
tejasg37x

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
From a lot of the comments about this it's obvious very few have driven "non electronic" cars.

The "lag" from stomping on the accelerator feels very much like the cars I learned to drive from the 70's that were carbureted and had 3 spd AT transmissions that downshifted through the use of vacuum. When you got on the accelerator it bogged a little until the the four barrel carburetor opened up and the transmission downshifted, and then it took off "violently" like some people describe the G.

Maybe Infiniti designed it to feel like old school muscle cars...??? ; )
Old 02-09-2012, 10:40 AM
TheLocNar
Registered Member

Received 66 Likes on 52 Posts
It's a lot more responsive if you ease down on it instead of flooring it like a teenager.

While I have no real complaints with my 2010 7AT, I do notice some lag/gear hunting every now and then. You just have to pay a bit more attention re: how/when it happens and work with it a little.
Old 02-09-2012, 12:51 PM
Almatti

efuseakay, Baloney !! Happens whether you hit the throttle a little or heavier. In fact, it is a natural response to hit the gas harder when you don't get the response. You seem to be one of the Lucky Guys with this issue. I get the Lag in many different & variable situations... sometimes in stop and go traffic, other times no.. sometimes when braking to make a turn, make the turn, then step on the gas and a horrendous Lag is felt. Notwithstanding what one member cited about all cars with Automatics having lag on the downshifts..... I don't care what he says. I had the 07 G35X with a 5AT, aside from some abrupt shifts, the response was immediate, far superior to this POC tranny.

As a PS: you guys know about venture and trail of complaints with Consumer Affairs at Infiniti, including a second test drive with a Factory Tech (out of Boston). Well he recommended to drive exclusively in DS mode. Very little lag improvement, BUT way too much rev matching, and when stopping and going, the jerkiness / the gear hunting is W O R S E !!
Old 02-09-2012, 02:21 PM
blnewt
Movin On!

Received 4,943 Likes on 4,176 Posts
Originally Posted by Almatti
I had the 07 G35X with a 5AT, aside from some abrupt shifts, the response was immediate, far superior to this POC tranny.
Amen brother, oh and it's POS tranny, not POC
Old 02-09-2012, 03:42 PM
gugarci

Originally Posted by Almatti
I had the 07 G35X with a 5AT, aside from some abrupt shifts, the response was immediate, far superior to this POC tranny.
Sorry Almatti but I owned an drove everyday an 08xS with the 5AT for a year. Can't talk about the lag because in my 09 7At for me the lag is not an issue. But the 5AT like my current 7AT liked to be in "Top Gear" all the time regardless of what speed I was doing. As far as the gear hunting goes, the 7 AT does hunt more than the 5AT. But it's only noticeable a slower speeds and in bumper to bumper type traffic. You think other auto gearboxes never hunt? I bet they all do, but some more than others.

I still think the higher max torque on the G37, 5200RPM's VS 4800RPM's, might contribute to this issue and the fact that the 7AT has to downshift 3 gears just to get to 4th even in times where 3rd gear might be better suited.

I've been driving for 31 years, and only in 6 of those years did I drive an auto everyday. So to be honest I don't expect much out of any auto gearbox. To me this lag is not an issue. And If one of you guys were to drive my car and find the lag I would still not care. Why wouldn't I care? Because If i'm not feeling it I must of learned to completely ignore it, or work around it. So if I can't feel it, it's not an issue.
Old 02-09-2012, 05:15 PM
moomax

Has everybody here with the transmission lag called up Infiniti Consumer Affairs yet? If not, PLEASE DO!!! ( Infiniti USA - Contact Us )The rep I spoke with today knew about the exact issue I was talking about and even described it better than I did! He told me they are aware of the problem but need more people to call in in order to propagate the issue forward. So please, if you haven't yet, CALL ICA and let them know you're having this issue!!
Old 02-09-2012, 05:22 PM
JDUB916

Originally Posted by moomax
Has everybody here with the transmission lag called up Infiniti Consumer Affairs yet? If not, PLEASE DO!!! ( Infiniti USA - Contact Us )The rep I spoke with today knew about the exact issue I was talking about and even described it better than I did! He told me they are aware of the problem but need more people to call in in order to propagate the issue forward. So please, if you haven't yet, CALL ICA and let them know you're having this issue!!
AWESOME AWESOME AWESOME!!!

That's what I'm talking about. A way to really report the problem and try to get a real solution! Good job and thanks for sharing. I just sent in my entry.
Old 02-09-2012, 07:30 PM
sniper27

Received 79 Likes on 72 Posts
Originally Posted by gugarci
Sorry Almatti but I owned an drove everyday an 08xS with the 5AT for a year. Can't talk about the lag because in my 09 7At for me the lag is not an issue. But the 5AT like my current 7AT liked to be in "Top Gear" all the time regardless of what speed I was doing. As far as the gear hunting goes, the 7 AT does hunt more than the 5AT. But it's only noticeable a slower speeds and in bumper to bumper type traffic. You think other auto gearboxes never hunt? I bet they all do, but some more than others.

I still think the higher max torque on the G37, 5200RPM's VS 4800RPM's, might contribute to this issue and the fact that the 7AT has to downshift 3 gears just to get to 4th even in times where 3rd gear might be better suited.

I've been driving for 31 years, and only in 6 of those years did I drive an auto everyday. So to be honest I don't expect much out of any auto gearbox. To me this lag is not an issue. And If one of you guys were to drive my car and find the lag I would still not care. Why wouldn't I care? Because If i'm not feeling it I must of learned to completely ignore it, or work around it. So if I can't feel it, it's not an issue.
it seems you "defend" the 7AT a lot. just because you learned to ignore it and it's not an issue to you, it doesn't make it acceptable. Sounds like you have the symptoms, but simply decided to ignore it or work around it. Either way, it's not acceptable and one shouldn't have to "work around" it.

Quick Reply: 7 speed AT complaint posts