Engine, Drivetrain & Forced-Induction
Have Technical Questions or Done Modifications to the G37? Find out the answer in here!

7 speed AT complaint posts

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-2012, 09:49 PM
linusent01

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
same here...

Originally Posted by tejasg37x
I only notice the lag if I try to "stomp" on the accelerator too quickly...if I'm a little easier on "stomping" on the accelerator, it's not bad and seems to accelerate quicker initially and smoother.
I've had to learn where that point is of pushing the accelerator too quickly, but also quick enough to accelerate like I want. There's a fine line there, but I feel like I know where it is now...
Does anyone else feel like this about theirs? Or tried this?

Yes, I realized the same thing. Most people have mentioned that they notice these AT issues only after driving the car for a while. My experience has been the opposite... I noticed 3 issues right away and they all disappeared as I learned how to manage the accelerator. My 3 issues were lag, jerky down shift, and one other where I got stuck in a gear in sport mode when getting on the highway and had to throw it out of sport mode to get out of it. When I did that, it shifted smoothly (no lag or jump) into the correct gear and I accelerated smoothly right onto the highway. I was never again able to reproduce the issue. Mine is a 2011 G37 sport, stock, no mods, no TSB fixes. I came from a BMW 325 with an awesome transmission, but it got old and I wanted to try something different.
Old 02-07-2012, 10:04 PM
fastlane45

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts
OP try this: on an empty highway, do about 60, brake down to 45 sharply and immediately get back on the gas with the transmission in D. That's the best way to show how it falls on its face its scary the lag you get
Old 02-07-2012, 10:45 PM
Dub_37S

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I only notice the lag if I try to "stomp" on the accelerator too quickly...if I'm a little easier on "stomping" on the accelerator, it's not bad and seems to accelerate quicker initially and smoother.
I've had to learn where that point is of pushing the accelerator too quickly, but also quick enough to accelerate like I want. There's a fine line there, but I feel like I know where it is now...
Quoted for truthfulness.
Old 02-07-2012, 11:14 PM
Beer Magazine

Since I've owned lots of cars and been on forums forever...ALL enthusiast communities complain about AT "lag" ....but it's not lag its the transmission. It's auto, and therefore slower. It can't shift from 7-3 or skip any gear. So it will always be slower.

If you wanted true performance, you'd have a 3rd pedal. But all modern computer controlled engines have a "delay" and more so because it slowly learns to drive more "mpg"...but if you feel you want instant response, use the paddles.

Otherwise do what I did...go to the dealer and get an MT instead. Much better. No complaints.
Old 02-07-2012, 11:49 PM
bingpwr
Registered Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
I agree with this. I think I've managed to learn the throttle position to make the lag more manageable. However, imagine this in an emergency situation. I sure as hell know that I won't be thinking of gradually depressing the throttle. I'll mash it and expect my car to move, but the sad/scary thing is that it won't...at least in time that is.
Old 02-08-2012, 12:13 AM
mw09g37

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
google search acceleration swell... that's the programming of the G37 TCU

it's not something people used to driving drive by wire will be used to when they first drive it.
Old 02-08-2012, 01:07 AM
Beer Magazine

Originally Posted by mw09g37
google search acceleration swell... that's the programming of the G37 TCU

it's not something people used to driving drive by wire will be used to when they first drive it.
Every car is throttle-by-wire and probably has been for 15 years.
Old 02-08-2012, 07:34 AM
gugarci

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
My biggest issues with this gearbox is that it always wants to be in too high of a gear for my taste. But you are correct about not stomping the gas. Car moves quicker when you give the gas a quick steady push till it downshifts, about 1/4 to 1/2 from the floor, and then you can stomp the gas. For me the lag is not an issue and my 09 has never been reflashed.

Last edited by gugarci; 02-08-2012 at 07:49 AM.
Old 02-08-2012, 08:08 AM
G37Sam
Administrator

Received 243 Likes on 193 Posts
Should've just gotten yourself an 08..

Yeah I said it
Old 02-08-2012, 11:40 AM
WebsG37

2009 G37x

This is irrelevant to the the lag issue, but after owning my first G, "2009 G37x" for about 3 weeks now I've noticed a lot of the issues on this thread, but what bothers me most is when I first accelerate lightly through the first 3 gears the shift is a little jumpy at times. seems to only seems happen after the car has sat for few hours, granted this was a loner at a dealership in Chicago so slamming though these three gears while slamming the brakes throught your trip is likely. Is the hesitation and slightly jumpyness while shifting at slow take off normal? "highly doubt it would be", and does not do this every time. Should I bring this back to the dealer?
Old 02-08-2012, 12:36 PM
wzupdoc

Originally Posted by Beer Magazine
Since I've owned lots of cars and been on forums forever...ALL enthusiast communities complain about AT "lag" ....but it's not lag its the transmission. It's auto, and therefore slower. It can't shift from 7-3 or skip any gear. So it will always be slower.

If you wanted true performance, you'd have a 3rd pedal. But all modern computer controlled engines have a "delay" and more so because it slowly learns to drive more "mpg"...but if you feel you want instant response, use the paddles.

Otherwise do what I did...go to the dealer and get an MT instead. Much better. No complaints.
"ALL enthusiast communities complain about AT "lag" ....but it's not lag its the transmission. It's auto, and therefore slower."

LOL. Riiiiiight. I think you are about 10 years behind the times. Today's automatic transmissions can shift far faster than a manual. Manumatic (paddle shifter) and DCT technologies have greatly improved gearshift order delays and inter-gear time-lapses. That's why in racing where you see a lot of shifting, like LeMans or Grand Prix, you won't find a manual.

"But all modern computer controlled engines have a "delay""
Really? So GTRs have a "delay"?

You can't argue that manuals are superior to automatics in a general sense anymore. They're not. The problem is that Infiniti's application of an automatic transmission in the G37 leaves a lot to be desired. It's not that Infiniti doesn't know "how" to build a better automatic (e.g. GTR) but they chose not to for some aggravating reason.
Old 02-08-2012, 12:46 PM
Keng

Originally Posted by wzupdoc

You can't argue that manuals are superior to automatics in a general sense anymore. They're not. The problem is that Infiniti's application of an automatic transmission in the G37 leaves a lot to be desired. It's not that Infiniti doesn't know "how" to build a better automatic (e.g. GTR) but they chose not to for some aggravating reason.
You paid 40-50k for a G37, not 90-100K for a GTR
Old 02-08-2012, 01:24 PM
Beer Magazine

Originally Posted by wzupdoc
"ALL enthusiast communities complain about AT "lag" ....but it's not lag its the transmission. It's auto, and therefore slower."

LOL. Riiiiiight. I think you are about 10 years behind the times. Today's automatic transmissions can shift far faster than a manual. Manumatic (paddle shifter) and DCT technologies have greatly improved gearshift order delays and inter-gear time-lapses. That's why in racing where you see a lot of shifting, like LeMans or Grand Prix, you won't find a manual.

Shifting from 1-2 isn't the same is as going from 7-2. For every gear skip it's more time.

A GTR isn't an AUTO it's an automated manual transmission. Look it up and learn I skipped out being a douche about your comments, but learn what the difference first and then discuss.

Faster isn't always better...MT has no lag from a computer or longer gear changes...it lags because your hand has to do it.

Last edited by Beer Magazine; 02-08-2012 at 01:35 PM.
Old 02-08-2012, 03:05 PM
moomax

NO automatic transmission I have ever driven has sat there doing nothing for 2 seconds! And more importantly, if this is an issue of having to switch down through all the gears, then WHY does this happen when SLOWLY accelerating during traffic as well? Hell, I noticed the issue more when I'm slowly driving then when I'm stepping on it on the highway! The transmission has more than enough time to respond and switch under slow acceleration. Even if we assume this issue is due to all the gears it has to pass through, then it's still a ****ty design! It's like saying "well, I can get my car to hit 60 in 3 seconds but flames shoot out the back". It doesn't matter if the car can hit 60 in 3 seconds when the back end is on fire! Same thing with this transmission -- the saved gas is meaningless if it doesn't drive right! (Hell this AT lag is almost as dangerous as having the back end set on fire -- step on the gas, car does nothing, now ur rear ended at 60mph.. ~enjoy!)
Old 02-08-2012, 03:35 PM
bingpwr
Registered Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
My 2001 Nissan Sentra that was traded in for this car didn't have any lagging transmission issues (or any issues whatsoever). When I pressed the gas pedal at any circumstance, it went with no questions asked. Otherwise, the G would be a perfect car~

Quick Reply: 7 speed AT complaint posts