Engine, Drivetrain & Forced-Induction
Have Technical Questions or Done Modifications to the G37? Find out the answer in here!

Paddle Shifters

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-2012, 08:38 PM
Nehodamd

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Paddle Shifters

Hello All,

I just bought my red 2009 g37x with 24,000 miles so I'm new to infiniti. I have the 7 speed auto and I'm already in love with the car. I want to install paddle shifters but i'm not handy enough to do it. Are there people or will the dealer install them? I live in Philadelphia and would be willing to pay a good amount to have it done.

Thanks
Old 02-03-2012, 08:49 PM
jesse550

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
First off, welcome to the forum and excellent choice going with the G!

I believe there are places that will install them for you. I'm sure the dealer will too. I've read somewhere that the car is already wired and everything for the paddles, they just need to be installed. I have the paddles on my car and I should probably tell you, they're fun for the first day or 2 then it's just another "meh" type thing. Really did want them at first and now I can't really say I use them much.

However when I am in manual mode I use paddles over the shifter so if you're in manual a lot I guess it's a good investment. Good luck! I'd call around dealers and see if they'll do it. I don't see why they wouldn't and I'm pretty sure they want your money .
Old 02-03-2012, 09:04 PM
anomalocaris

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Cool

I had paddle shifters on my 335i and used them every day for 4.5 years. I use them 95% of the time on the G37S. Some of us just enjoy being more connected with our cars than others do. Nothing wrong either way.

Old 02-03-2012, 09:06 PM
jesse550

Originally Posted by anomalocaris
I had paddle shifters on my 335i and used them every day for 4.5 years. I use them 95% of the time on the G37S. Some of us just enjoy being more connected with our cars than others do. Nothing wrong either way.

Driving conditions factor in as well...I'm stuck in bumper-bumper NYC traffic most of the time so no point in my case.
Old 02-03-2012, 11:47 PM
fastlane45

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts
I just did this literally last week it was a piece of cake to install. I got mine off ebay from orange county infiniti but im sure vendors on here have them too. theyre around $250 and worth every penny imo. just follow these directions:

Infiniti G37 Paddle Shifter Installation

took me <30 min
Old 02-04-2012, 12:59 AM
OB G

Originally Posted by Nehodamd
Hello All,

I just bought my red 2009 g37x with 24,000 miles so I'm new to infiniti. I have the 7 speed auto and I'm already in love with the car. I want to install paddle shifters but i'm not handy enough to do it. Are there people or will the dealer install them? I live in Philadelphia and would be willing to pay a good amount to have it done.

Thanks
I'm in Northern DE. What part of Philly are you from? Good enough amount to get my own set of paddles?
Old 02-04-2012, 08:07 AM
Nehodamd

Thanks guys for all the feedback. I want to do it myself but the airbag blowing scares me. I think I will use them a decent amount but regardless if i do they just look good so I think i still want them. I'll look at the directions because I'm decently mechanical, I have installed sound systems myself, change oil, brakes, wheel bearings, springs, etc. so i know my way around a wrench but who knows. Just to move to another topic. I'm not sure if I want to get the Injen ram intakes or the takeda attack one. The attack sits right behind the grill and that would worry me for hydro-lock, what do you think?
Old 02-04-2012, 08:08 AM
Nehodamd

Oh and I'm from roxborough/manayunk
Old 02-04-2012, 10:25 AM
anomalocaris

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Cool

...I'm not sure if I want to get the Injen ram intakes or the takeda attack one. The attack sits right behind the grill and that would worry me for hydro-lock, what do you think?
A baseless fear. To hydrolock an engine you have to fill the cylinder with water. To do that you would have to submerge the intake. To do that you would have to drive your car into a lake. I'd be more concerned with losing the car entirely than just hydro-locking the engine.

A mist of water entering the intake will do no harm. Many FI applications use water injection to reduce intake temperatures and control detonation, it hurts nothing.

Old 02-04-2012, 11:14 AM
Nehodamd

^ thanks for the advice. I think I will go with the attack.

^^ yeah let me call the dealer just to get a quote but if you did my paddles and did a good job I'd buy you a set too.